Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System

Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 PM
blinky (Leigh)

jupiter with Europa transit feb 9th UT

Hello planet lovers,
I had some good results with my c11 this morning. I left the scope out overnight so it was definitely cooled. The seeing conditions were pretty average but this time i tried 45 second SER captures (previously30sec.) in R,G,B with a 70% stack even though the quality estimation in autostakkert was not good. the larger stack was more forgiving when it came to applying wavelets with registax. my process was firecapture, AS3, registax6 (wavelets), rgb combine in PS6 with sharpening/de-noise etc, winjupos and minor retouch in ps6 to "de-smudge" the moon. The animation frames are made from single rgb sets.
Oval BA can be seen setting at bottom right and Europa transiting top left across the NPR (north polar region). Perhaps someone can educate me on what the STB ghost is? I think the oval BA is currently where it was is that right?

regards

Leigh

animation link: http://pvol2.ehu.eus/pvolimages/jupi...westerland.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (screenshot.jpg)
199.0 KB57 views
Click for full-size image (j2018-02-09_18-14-00_rgb_leigh pvol small.jpg)
23.9 KB79 views

Last edited by blinky; 10-02-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 PM
andyc (Andy)

Ohhh, that's very good indeed, nice one Leigh! You've got a great view of the new outbreak in the STB Ghost that there was a call to image on PVOL last week. Maybe the best place (you probably already know) to find out about some of the features on Jupiter might be the BAA Jupiter Section, especially John Rogers' reports (this one and this one talk about the STB Ghost). I'll bet there's better reports and papers about it. I'm not really sure what it is, except that it's a fairly long-lived circulation in the STB that's not very colourful. And that it's approaching Oval BA just now and has also just undergone an outbreak of activity!

I tried to image this morning to catch it, but too many annoying clouds off the ocean means I still haven't seen this side of Jupiter in 2018.

Interesting to see your stacking strategy - seems a lot of alignment points, I presume you're finding that's working better than, say, 80-100? Can't doubt the result looks good!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:44 PM
andyc (Andy)

Looks like a useful paper on the STB and the Ghost here. Section 4 in the report text covers its origin:

Structured segment E arose in 2011, as a small cyclonic dark spot called DS4, and it developed into a pale, expanding feature which we call the ‘STB Ghost’. In its origin, appearance, and behaviour, it is an exact replica of the ‘STB Remnant’ of 2004-2009.

The origin as DS4 was described in our 2011/12 final report (see Section 5(ii) below), and was summarised in our long-term report [Ref.1], thus:
(E) Meanwhile another small v.d.s. (named DS4) appeared in 2011, in a small cyclonic faint blue patch, where there was also temporary disturbance of the SSTBn jet [ref. 2011/12 report]. It became remarkably dark in 2011 Nov., until 2012 Sep. Then it faded and turned white, within a faint cyclonic streak, just like other v.d.ss. have done, and we have predicted that it will become the next STB structured sector. (If it remains faint like the STB Remnant, we will suggest naming it the 'STB Ghost'.)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 AM
blinky (Leigh)

Thanks Andy. I hadn't tapped those resources yet, much appreciated. theres so much info out there sometimes its easy to overlook the good stuff. As for my align points, i haven't really played much with them so I'll give less align points a go and see how it effects the end result. As they say processing is an individual thing where everyone has there own style. Its good to share techniques to get ideas and improvements. Thats what i love about the amateur astronomy community, we're a very helpful, passionate bunch.
I've got some good reading to do for the rest of my sunday so thanks again!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:56 PM
Troy

Good image
Old 11-02-2018, 08:08 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Love the Transits visually and in images, especially waiting for big Ganymede, as well as all the others.

Really enjoyed this image blinky, I'm always looking for changes on Jove ; in fact there should be much more of these images when the transits are on .

bigjoe .

Last edited by bigjoe; 11-02-2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Add