Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-07-2020, 07:55 AM
PKay (Peter)

EQ8-R USB Hub

After upgrading my mount, scope and laptop, time to think about the software and wiring.

If you can offer tips and advice it would be most welcome.

Scope: Esprit 150
Mount: EQ8-R
Image Camera: ASI1600 MC
Guide Camera: ZWO ASI120 MM
Laptop (in the mail): Windows 10. 1x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.1 (Type-C, Gen 1), 2x USB 3.1 (Type A, Gen1), RJ45

I have ordered ZWO EAF, filter wheel & ASI1600 MM.
But in this day and age, I won't be holding my breath for the delivery.

PLAN:

1: Install Ascom
2: Install PHD
3: Install Sequence Generator Pro v3.0

QUESTION:

Since the EQ8-R has an inbuilt USB hub (4 inputs), I assume a single USB cable, from the hub to the PC, will drive everything.
ie: Image Camera, Guide Camera, Filter wheel, EAF

Is this possible?
Old 13-07-2020, 10:19 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,
Looking at the promotional video the EQ8-R pro has a USB3 hub with 4 x USB3 ports so to utilise the maximum bandwidth of 5 GB/ sec (compared to USB2 of 0.48GB/sec ) you need to use USB3 rated connecting hardware. The only problem is that there is no specific standard or recommended cable lengths for USB3 cable ( USB2 is generally 5m ) however generally USB3 cables will work up to 3 metres , but not always
From personal experience I’ve purchased many different 3m and 5m USB3 cables over the past 2 years and none of them work successfully. Distance from my imaging and guide cameras to laptop is 5m with a spare cable slack of 100mm
The only 5m USB3 cable that has worked successfully without failure is the Startech 5m Active USB3.0 cable which is engineered to work at full bandwidth up to 5m. The only problem is that they are expensive $190.00 but they work !!!
Are you sure you have a ZWOASI1600MC Camera ?? as there’s nothing on the ZWO website.Maybe you meant ASI1600MM or ASI2600MC ?? which both are USB3
Also your guide camera ZWOASI120MM is it the latest S version which is also USB3
So to answer you question if your imaging camera is USB3 ,your guide camera is USB3 then you should be able to plug straight into the mounts hub and then run a Startech USB3 cable ( 3m or 5m ?? ) to your USB3 port of your laptop
Hope the above makes sense
Martin
Old 13-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The ZWO website shows the ASI 1600MC-C as a discontinued model, but there must be many of them around.
Old 13-07-2020, 11:32 AM
PKay (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Peter,

Are you sure you have a ZWOASI1600MC Camera ?? as there’s nothing on the ZWO website.Maybe you meant ASI1600MM or ASI2600MC ?? which both are USB3
Also your guide camera ZWOASI120MM is it the latest S version which is also USB3
Thanks for replying Martin & Ken.
My camera (a few years old) is ASI1600MC-C which does have a USB3 port.
So taking your advice, I will order some short USB3 cables, to go from the cameras / devices to the hub, AND a longer 5m one connecting Laptop to hub.

And then, hopefully, ASCOM will take care of things...
Old 13-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Just checked the EQ8-R pro cable specs
For optimum performance of your imaging camera and guide camera at USB3 bandwidth you will need an Active USB3 cable from the EQ8-R pro hub to your laptop ( USB3-B to USB3-A cable )
Startech have a 5m ( which I use ) and they also do a 10m cable which I haven’t tried so can’t comment on that one
Word of advice , don’t be tempted to buy a cheap $20 or $30 5m or 10m USB3 cable , it will give you no end of trouble , I’ve been through that merry go round and I suspect others have too
See attached some info , you don’t have to buy from Mwave as you may find cheaper suppliers
PS: I have taken an interest in your post as I’m looking into a Nexdome backyard observatory next year and may upgrade to an EQ8-R pro mount ??? If my wife gives me the key to the safe .....
Let me know how your new rig performs once all set up
All the best
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (84DCDD4F-5A28-48F5-B1B2-CAC69986B491.jpg)
112.6 KB79 views
Click for full-size image (2093EE21-EC15-41AF-958E-BC3062378B85.jpg)
78.9 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (313B79FC-E59F-485A-A8B9-67238E2DCCF7.jpg)
79.7 KB46 views
Old 13-07-2020, 12:19 PM
PKay (Peter)

Good research Martin.
Old 13-07-2020, 01:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Peter I am about to order my eq8 so this is most interesting.

I am probably going for a 16 inch RC but something tells me the 150 Espirit would be smarter...the 16inch appeals just because it's big but the FL may mean I end up with a visual scope just for planets... There may be a very cheap 16 inch for sale here if I can't manage it...I worked out it won't fit in my car ..the scope or mount with ease so a delivery which I do not like.

Martin if you are still there...the sheet says if you need longer go for 2 USB cable...what does that mean?

I have seen these cables discussed in much the same way as you have but when I asked at my computer shop he just said don't worry this will do the job..$20 or $30 but that area...I did not get a chance to try it but at the moment from hub to lappy...15 MTRS the camera works but PHD no...so I presume it's USB although seeing was thru fog when PHD would not perform.

And with a 16inch I guess I need to think OAG ..and another camera maybe..a main one and maybe a guide camera as well...there is a lot to this hobby.
Alex
Old 13-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Alex,
I think you'll find that the USB3 capability drops to that of a USB2 when the cables can't support the USB3 bandwidth/ speed.
That being the case for longer lengths just using a USB2 cable would give the same (restricted) performance.
Old 13-07-2020, 04:10 PM
PKay (Peter)

Hi Alex

When we figure out how best to connect to the EQ8 USB hub, I will post the results.
Might be a few more days...

AND if someone out there can see us re-inventing the wheel, please step in.

Re choice of scope:

They say 'size, stability, ease of use' are important considerations

I say 'whatever floats your boat' :-)

Keep well mate.
Old 14-07-2020, 02:07 PM
PKay (Peter)

Job done!

The 4 port EQ8-R hub works a treat.

It takes the imaging and guide cameras, filter wheel and EAF.
A single USB 3.0 cable is required to then connect to the laptop.
ASCOM sorted everything out easily.

However the mount control is still a separate USB cable between the SynScan hand control and laptop.

As an added bonus I added Stellarium, and once again it just worked.
What a luxury! I cant wait for the deluge to end...
Old 14-07-2020, 03:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter
Sounds great glad it’s all connected
Just a thought , why don’t you ditch the handcontroller and use EQMOD, the EQ8-R pro works with EQMOD , honestly you won’t believe how good it is with Stellarium. Goto and tracking is a dream and so accurate or do use another piece of software with plate solving ??
Martin
Old 14-07-2020, 03:50 PM
brisen (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Job done!

The 4 port EQ8-R hub works a treat.

It takes the imaging and guide cameras, filter wheel and EAF.
A single USB 3.0 cable is required to then connect to the laptop.
ASCOM sorted everything out easily.

However the mount control is still a separate USB cable between the SynScan hand control and laptop.

As an added bonus I added Stellarium, and once again it just worked.
What a luxury! I cant wait for the deluge to end...
Hi Peter

If you want to do away with the extra cable, the Synscan Wifi dongles (about $100) works well and gets rid of the extra cable. It now has an ASCOM driver to allow it to work through Windows - just download the app and the ASCOM driver from the skywatcher site and it works. This allows you to pulse guide as well. I am using this with an EQ8 and it works well. I expect that it will connect to Stellarium as well, I use The Sky X to run the scope and connect to the synscan app that way via ASCOM.

Brian
Old 15-07-2020, 09:33 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Hi Alex

When we figure out how best to connect to the EQ8 USB hub, I will post the results.
Might be a few more days...

AND if someone out there can see us re-inventing the wheel, please step in.

Re choice of scope:

They say 'size, stability, ease of use' are important considerations

I say 'whatever floats your boat' :-)

Keep well mate.
Great to see it all coming together.

I have had to put off my purchase for reasons I won't bore you with, but a good thing as I am constantly changing my mind as to the scope. Another three weeks at least which I can use to advantage.

I think the 16 inch may be too long a focal length and I am now more inclined to go for the 12 inch which with a focal reducer should be better for me...It is still a handful. I will still go for the EQ 8 ..I can put all my scopes on it plus the 12 inch ...joking but one could think the eq8 with a 12 inch GSO RC should be rather stable.

I have been presenting various set ups scope and reducer wise to Bintels calculator and the 12 inch would seem to be the sensible choice...at least today..tomorrow I don't know.

Thanks for this thread I have found it very helpful.

Alex
Old 15-07-2020, 09:45 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

The only thing I would be leery about Alex is that there seem to be so many stories of people finding themselves in collimation hell with RC scopes. Iteration after iteration after iteration with all the "Right" tools and still not happy.
Old 15-07-2020, 05:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
The only thing I would be leery about Alex is that there seem to be so many stories of people finding themselves in collimation hell with RC scopes. Iteration after iteration after iteration with all the "Right" tools and still not happy.
Thanks Paul
Reading the details on Bintels sheet gives one the impression there should be no problems however googling just now confirms folk have problems.
I will look further into the matter...I have already found material that suggests one may not be able to rely on the factory to have it right.
It seems " normal" procedures have no guarantee of working as the centre spot may not in fact be the optical centre and that article suggests tools may suggest it is perfect but as the centre spot could be off one will get frustrated and not know why there is still a problem.
I was very happy but now it's back to the drawing board..however I do feel I could collimate from the little I have read...maybe this has been covered here and there seems material elsewhere...in the article I read it said the tools could suggest it's off but in fact it's on....
Thanks again I really appreciate your help here.
Alex
Old 17-07-2020, 11:35 PM
FrancoRodriguez (Franco)
Franco

Another vote for ditching the hand controller. Grit your teeth and rip it out. You'll never regret it! EQMOD is a very robust platform and works excellently (at least on a eq6r). The hand controller just complicates matters with redundant cabling that can easily get snagged. It's particularly annoying that the pad is in serial with the USB cable going to the computer.
Old 18-07-2020, 08:14 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I would be another vote for leaving the hand controller in the box and using EQMOD. I have not plugged my hand controller in to the mount in at least a year.