Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 11-07-2020, 01:06 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Berlebach Tripods - AZEQ6

Just a spit ball question here..

Currently have an AZEQ6 mounted on a 20cm pier extension atop SW 2" tripod... Have to have it on the pier due to my latitude of 16* 45' otherwise counterweights can hit legs...

Anyways, I've been looking at the Berlebach tripod range & trying to figure out which one I would get if I had the money...

The only one that seems to mention an AZEQ6 adapter is the 'Planet' model which seems a little on the overkill side...

Wondering if I could get away with one of the Uni models which still has a capacity rating of 60kg.. but, seems a little less weighty & significantly less expensive than the Planet model..

Anyone using a Berlebach with AZEQ6 (or similar) or have experience with these tripods in general? Can you use the pier extension on them?

Cheers
Old 11-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I have a Planet and love it, expensive but very sturdy. I haven’t used any of their others but I do like the stability of the planet with my EQ. I can do unguided 900s subs at 0.825”/pixel so flex is pretty controlled.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:15 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I have had the Planet, Uni and Report versions of Berlebach tripods.... The only one I would use with the Azeq6 is the Planet. A superb tripod .
Old 11-07-2020, 03:45 PM
sharpiel

Hello Carlton.

Both Rainmaker and I have modified our standard AZ-EQ6 Tripods to increase their stability. I used a solid hinged spreader at the mid extension point, with a chain tensioner to the center screw at the eq head attachment, and Rainmaker used an over center principle spreader.

I know my tripod is significantly stiffer after my mod and knowing Matt's (Rainy) workmanship, his tripod will have also been superior post-mod.

PM me if you'd like pics of my mod or Matt for his mods. Both will be cheaper than a Berb upgrade and may serve your purpose. Otherwise chat to Matt about his comparison between his mod and Berb. Good luck either way.

Last edited by sharpiel; 12-07-2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:07 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

I have a Uni 24C which supports an EQ6. I bought the near new tripod off a photographer and it had the 3/8" screw mount on a flat 160mm base. I made up an adaptor plate and drilled the head so that the EQ6 fits perfectly. I use mainly it for my 106AT and have the legs extended a maximum of 15cm.
It really works well for this weight - about 8.5kgs of scope and accessories, with1 x 5kg cwt on my beefed up cwt bar.
All up cost was way less than buying new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Berl1.JPG)
32.1 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (Berl2.JPG)
33.2 KB45 views
Old 12-07-2020, 04:48 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Thankyou Gentlemen, much to consider.

Les & Matt, definitely interested in hearing about your mods of the SW tripod, I will send you both a PM.

Cheers