What a load of BS

Email received today ....

Fri 03/07/2020 20:45

Reply all

Financial Monitoring Division-UK
Internet Crime Complaint Center
In Partnership with:
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C)

Notification Ref ID: AU448994658

We regret to inform you that you have been a victim of internet fraud/identity theft.

See following case details:

The case on world renowned cyber-criminal , Kevin Amuche, 32 and Henrik Bialek, 40, have been tried and closed at the District Court of Basel-Stadt (Strafgericht des Kantons Basel-Stadt) last month after numerous rejected extradition appeals. They were apprehended at the Euro Airport, Basel while fleeing Switzerland federal authorities in an unrelated fraud case. The case was closed based on the following settlement terms; I. Court-ordered recovered from the defendants shall be converted into settlement funds and remitted to eligible affected victims, II. To be paid in full before end of sentence date.

We have thoroughly investigated the case with our Intelligence Monitoring Network System and found that you were one of the numerous victims through email correspondences between you two showing payments made by you, as well as telephone logs. Upon final evaluation of his assets after liquidation, he is said to be worth $28m stolen from approx. 96 victims.

The aforementioned defendants and their group of co-offenders used over 2000 aliases to mask their original identities, which is why you may not be familiar with the names used by this fraudsters. However, our records indicate that you have been a victim of fraud and/or identity theft because your contact details and personal information were found on several computer devices belonging to the defendants. Following court orders, this makes you eligible for restitution in the amount of £521,911.00 for damages caused by his crimes.

This investigation was kept private and out of public media. Hence,all victims were represented by a professional public defendant including yourself.

To receive your restitution immediately, email me m.adams@brclondonuk.co.uk to verify that we have the right person and get you connected with the court appointed law firm who will give you more information and guidance through the entire process. If you already received and/or responded to a notification, or feel you have received this notification in error and haven't been victimized in
anyway, kindly disregard. To avoid delays, quote your reference number in all correspondence.

All entries must be claimed not later than 15th July 2020.

Sincerely Yours

Mrs. Michelle Adams
Internet Crime Complaint Centre (IC3

I notice there is no contact Phone Number .... I know for a fact that all genuine Law Firms have their ' Logos ' and appropriate Phone Numbers
printed on their official correspondence.....this email shows nothing ...!!

What a bunch of ' suckers ' these idiots are .....
I should reply back saying ' Hello , this is Superintendent Flasher of ASIO Money Collection Department, what great news this is, please forward all financial rewards to ASIO Office in Canberra so we can throw a big party.

Sincerely Yours ..... Mr Joe Scammer ..!!
Old 04-07-2020, 07:06 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Why did you open it Col ?.. Not sure why but i never get this stuff ?

Last edited by GrahamL; 04-07-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:30 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post

Just curiosity ... just to see what trouble some people go to to Scam people.
They'll never get me ...I'm much smarter than that ...!!
Anybody with a decent head on their shoulder can see this is a Scam
I've deleted it... always do that every time... and I never reply back.
Just thought I'd share this Scam, so others can see, and not be taken in by this rubbish .
Old 04-07-2020, 08:36 PM
RB (Andrew)

I knew this was a scam straight away.
Michelle Adams is single.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:49 PM
Imme (Jon)

Hate to say it, but a little hobby of mine when I’m bored os’s replying to these guys and see how long I can string them along before they give up.
Obviously giving them no info at all...... just making a mockery of their scam
Old 04-07-2020, 09:37 PM
DarkArts

If you haven't seen this yet, give it a watch.

This is what happens when you reply to spam e-mail
Old 05-07-2020, 09:02 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
Yes Col, second time in a couple of months that you have posted a scam email you have received. Just junk them like the rest of us or get a better spam filter.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:50 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Yes Col, second time in a couple of months that you have posted a scam email you have received. Just junk them like the rest of us or get a better spam filter.
I have a question .... How do they know that I have opened it and read it ... if I have not replied to there stupid attempts to scam me....I've read it and then deleted it.

BTW ...The email didn't request a receipt to inform the sender that it has been received and opened.

It is common knowledge ' around the traps ' that some people ' sell ' email address to obtain some money..eg: Marketing companies will pay good money for email address to ' push ' their products. Unfortunately the information gets into the wrong hands and are used in the commission of soliciting Scams.

Col
Old 05-07-2020, 12:03 PM
DarkArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
I have a question .... How do they know that I have opened it and read it ... if I have not replied to there stupid attempts to scam me....I've read it and then deleted it.

BTW ...The email didn't request a receipt to inform the sender that it has been received and opened.
Do you use HTML in e-mail? If so, it's easy to tell if an e-mail is opened using an image for which a URL is embedded in the e-mail causing the image to be downloaded from the internet at the point when the e-mail is viewed. The URL for the image will uniquely identify the recipient - the destination IP address is also captured when it's downloaded. These images can be as small as 1-pixel and may be invisible.

To protect yourself, turn off automatic content download in e-mails or use text-only e-mail. Your e-mails will look weird, but they'll be safe.

Web bugs (as these images are sometimes known) are also used in web browser tracking (along with many other techniques such as browser fingerprinting).
Old 05-07-2020, 01:22 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
Do you use HTML in e-mail? If so, it's easy to tell if an e-mail is opened using an image for which a URL is embedded in the e-mail causing the image to be downloaded from the internet at the point when the e-mail is viewed. The URL for the image will uniquely identify the recipient - the destination IP address is also captured when it's downloaded. These images can be as small as 1-pixel and may be invisible.

To protect yourself, turn off automatic content download in e-mails or use text-only e-mail. Your e-mails will look weird, but they'll be safe.

Web bugs (as these images are sometimes known) are also used in web browser tracking (along with many other techniques such as browser fingerprinting).
OK....in that case I will just ' right click ' on the email and select ' block ' all emails from this sender....then delete it.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:44 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It's obviously a scam. Someone caught at an airport trying to flee the country? Some of the scammers obviously haven't updated for COVID