Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Bought a Canon 24-70mm f2.8L

Hi all,
Deliberated and cogitated over my next purchase (title gives it away though!).

I love my modded 40D for both terrestrial and astro work and had seriously considered having it cooled/modded by Cenral DS in South Korea. Phil Hart's amazing Rho image providing fuel to this G.A.S fire.

What worried me was that this mod would hobble the DSLR for non astro work. This coupled with the fact that my wife (the silent Suz in dugnsuz) who suddenly became very vocal on the subject of modding the 40D, made me reappraise the venture.

And, a very recent commissioned shot of my son's soccer team with my 300mm f4L (only lens I have at present) lens decided the matter - the lads were assembled by the coach in the goal mouth, but I had to recede back to the halfway line to get them all in shot...ridicularse!!!

In that moment I thought - you've got to use the right tools for the given job. And the cooled mod dream evaporated! I value both terrestrial and astro stuff equally.

One day I'll go down the cooled CCD road I sincerely hope, but right now I still need to have the best of both worlds, and L lenses provide that!

So, to cut the story short...I've bought a Canon 24-70mm f2.8L lens.
I hope it lives up to its reputation.

So ends my story!
Doug

Last edited by dugnsuz; 08-08-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Sounds great Doug!
The reviews I have looked at rate this lens very highly. Even compares well with most of the primes..I would love to have one.
Have fun!

Oh, go and cool the 40D. Maybe be worth doing it yourself? Mine is still running without a problem. Lately have been running it at -3c and has done quiet a few thousand actuation`s since the modd.. The only thing I would do if doing it again is use a smaller heatsink/fan as it`s heavy!

Last edited by Garyh; 09-08-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM
leon

Ahhh, nice one Doug you will get plenty of fun out of that bit of glass mate, now you won't get so tired walking backward.

Leon

Last edited by leon; 09-08-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Ahhh, nice one Doug you will get plenty of fun out of that bit glass mate, now you won't get so tired walking backward.

Leon
I had to shout "SMILE!!!!!" and through the viewfinder I could see one of the boys mouthing "What did he say!?"
Doug