Old 25-07-2019, 06:16 PM
RyanJones

Another crack at lagoon

My latest attempt at the Lagoon Nebula. It’s been so cloudy recently so it’s taken me a while to collect the data for this one. Partly because the first session on it, I screwed in the wrong filter. I think I’m starting to get there with this setup now.

Capture details are as follows;

101 x 150 sec @ iso 400
Astromodified Canon 350d
STC Duo Filter
8” F/4 GSO Newtonian
HEQ5 pro mount
Nexguide SAG guiding
Bortole 8 backyard

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (BBF9D81E-FE80-4503-884B-2FACC2B243AC.jpg)
151.4 KB101 views
Old 25-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Ryan
That’s a really good image and beautifully processed from suburban Melbourne
Can’t beat a newt hey !
Ive given my 8” f5 a work out over the last 2 nights at my dark site as firstly the bad weather is coming tomorrow plus gotta head back to Sydney for family
commitments
I’ll be back down in 2 weeks
Well done !!
Old 25-07-2019, 06:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You gotta be happy with that.
Alex
Old 25-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Very very clean image. 101 subs is a lot of dedicated time. I am impressed with the result.
Old 26-07-2019, 11:44 AM
RyanJones

Thank you for the positive feeds back guys. I really appreciate it.

Martin - I’ve got to get me one of those personal dark sites . My missus and I have been on a coupe of darksite trips but sadly my scopes have become large enough that the decision would have to be made between the scopes and the dog and we all know where I’ll stand in that pecking order lol. She is however more than on board with the purchase of a holiday house with dark skies in the future so in time.....
Old 26-07-2019, 01:32 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Yes it is challenging imaging from the suburbs of a big City but we do our best to overcome all the obstacles
Your images are testament to that Ryan

I’ve had my holiday home a few years before I even decided to take up Astronomy in my retirement so it all worked out great in the end.I still get the odd neighbour leaving outdoor patio lights on all night but that issue is insignificant when you look up at night and see the Milky Way plastered across the night skyline from one end to the other.Sometimes during an imaging session I just sit on my little stool next to my outdoor Astro workstation and gaze up for 10 to 15 minutes and take it all in , you can never get enough of the buzz the universe throws at us of all
Keep posting
All the best
Martin
Old 27-07-2019, 03:30 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Excellent Ryan! Nice and clean. You haven't pushed it too hard - it's ready on the eye. You don't need an astrocam, that DSLR is doing nicely. Wish I never sold my 550d
Old 27-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Very nice Ryan, clean, well defined & nicely processed.
Well done.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 27-07-2019, 07:54 PM
RyanJones

Thank you Tony and Chris, it’s taken me a while to find subs that really work with the amount of sky glow and dynamic range in the neb. I think this one is still a touch of the conservative side, although I am happy with how it has come up.

Martin, it’s true no matter how many times we look up, the universe always offers us something amazing.

Cheers
Old 28-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Crisp and Clean. Lovely
Old 30-07-2019, 04:12 PM
gb44 (Glenn)

Nice one for sure. Any frames from the stock camera to add yet? Are you having any issues with aligning frames from the 2 350D cameras?

GlennB
Old 30-07-2019, 07:43 PM
RyanJones

Thank you Wes and Glenn.

Glenn - I gave up on mixing subs from the 2 cameras. It did work and the two sets of subs stacked together perfectly. It just didn’t really help at all and made it harder to process. I have an STC Duo Filter now that I’m using with the modded camera and it’s a real game changer. I’m doing Trifid tonight and hopefully I’ll have enough data to stack straight away. It will be an interesting tester given it has 2 distinct separate areas of emission and reflection. Fingers crossed
Old 31-07-2019, 08:48 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Then we can have an STC duo trifid battle ! Got a few hours of it over the weekend, but lousy weather this week. This weekend looks okay?

It looks the trifid is an ideal target with the duo filter - the Ha and OIII are separating nicely. Might seem redundant to use it here but it really clobbers the background noise in light polluted Sydney.

The lagoon was another matter. The Halpha swamps everything. I've been struggling with it's processing ...
Old 31-07-2019, 12:11 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Then we can have an STC duo trifid battle ! Got a few hours of it over the weekend, but lousy weather this week. This weekend looks okay?

It looks the trifid is an ideal target with the duo filter - the Ha and OIII are separating nicely. Might seem redundant to use it here but it really clobbers the background noise in light polluted Sydney.

The lagoon was another matter. The Halpha swamps everything. I've been struggling with it's processing ...
Please don’t make me battle with you on Trifid Chris. I’m not nearly as proficient as you. Despite the leaps I’ve taken with this image, your starless dragons still feature on my missus phone background

I had an absolute shocker last night and ended up throwing out what little data I had. FWHM of 6.5 and focus to the left, doughnuts to the right. Not only that but I fitted a dew heater because my flattener and filter fog up super quick and it cut my imaging time by over half with the current draw on my battery.

I’m looking forward to seeing your efforts on both Lagoon and Trifid. If I remember rightly you use PI for processing so im not sure if I can offer any assistance but if you’d like to email / pm me with the struggles there might be something I’ve done that you can relate or vice versa ?