Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Fantastic Rodney! Colour and detail is exquisite. Definitely off the beaten track!
Out of curiosity, did you do star removal? Or anything with the MorphologicalTransformation?
Thanks Colin.

Yes, star removal was part of the processing steps but on the narrowband (Ha/OIII) channels only. Stars were removed at the beginning of the process using a combination of star masks and MT (Erosion). Clean up done with the clone stamp tool. Narrow band masters were then processed separately before combining using pixelmath and processed then as a colour master.

The RGB was processed separately to the point that I was happy with the stars and then combined with the narrowband colour master using pixelmath.

This particular image does lend itself to star removal using the MT technique as the nebulosity is concentrated in the centre of the image. It makes it easy to mask it out using a range mask if you need to tidy up the background. Obviously if there is nebulosity scattered across the field it can be a little more of a challenge.
Old 19-06-2018, 04:44 PM
markas (Mark)

Superb image!

Mark
Old 19-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas View Post
Superb image!

Mark
Many thanks Mark.
Old 20-06-2018, 10:20 PM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Following on from my work in progress reports and 47.5 hours of data later I now present a completed Abell 35 image for posting. Data for RGB was collected and processed separately and then added to Ha/OIII. Processing for Ha/OIII and combining with RGB was executed with my attempt at the J-P Metsavainio tone mapping technique. Deviated significantly off course during processing and very much started making it up was we went along. Made for an interesting journey.

Link to Astrobin image here.

Comments and critique welcome.
That is a lovely shot Rodney. It never ceases to marvel me, the beauty in some of those nebula's out there.

Cheers
Peter
Old 21-06-2018, 08:44 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSEllis View Post
That is a lovely shot Rodney. It never ceases to marvel me, the beauty in some of those nebula's out there.

Cheers
Peter
Thanks Peter, we certainly are spoiled for choice for wonderful nebula targets.
Old 24-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Paul Haese

This is nice Rodney. I undertook a monster amount of integration on this target and never got enough that I felt happy with brightness and colour.

Having undertaken massive integrations in the past myself (to date my longest was 111 hours on the Helix), I can appreciate the effort you have gone to here. Congratulations to your persistence.

Lovely colour and detail, you have all the bases covered.
Old 24-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
This is nice Rodney. I undertook a monster amount of integration on this target and never got enough that I felt happy with brightness and colour.

Having undertaken massive integrations in the past myself (to date my longest was 111 hours on the Helix), I can appreciate the effort you have gone to here. Congratulations to your persistence.

Lovely colour and detail, you have all the bases covered.
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the feedback. It certainly was a technically challenging project and I’m glad that it came out reasonably well.