Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 17-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

A Cosmic Fish in a Sea of Stars & Dust

The Sagittarius star cloud and friends in HaRGB - 2 panel mosaic taken from my light polluted backyard in suburban Melbourne, Vic.

Kinda looks like an angel fish's face in profile.

Lots of interesting swirls of dark gas and dust, and sooooooo many stars!

This image also contains M24, IC 4715, M 18, NGC 6613, NGC 6603, IC 1284, NGC 6595, NGC 6590, NGC 6589, NGC 6568
M24 fills a space of significant volume to a depth of 10,000 to 16,000 light-years.
This is the most dense concentration of individual stars visible using binoculars, with around 1,000 stars visible within a single field of view.

The star cloud incorporates two prominent dark nebulae which are vast clouds of dense, obscuring interstellar dust. This dust blocks light from the more distant stars, which keeps them from being seen from Earth. Barnard 92, which is the darkest out of the two. Inside the field filled with stars, the nebula appears as an immense round hole that is devoid of any stars. American astronomer Edward Emerson Barnard discovered this dark nebula in 1913. (there you go Mike S )

The image also contains Barnard 93, which is less obvious and large as the other dark nebula. There are also other dark nebulae within M24, including Barnard 304 and Barnard 307. Both Barnard 92 and 93 have the most significant features shown in M24 due to them both blocking out several stars and being the most visually prominent. (wiki)

Hat's off to all who attempt RGB under LP - it's hard to process out those gradients!

Was keen to highlight the abundant Ha present, and these are my deepest stars to date, 45 x 120 secs each RG&B = 90 mins ea. in an attempt to overcome signal to LP ratio.
Worked ok - but might have to go even deeper in blue next time though, as those subtle little blue reflection nebulas were difficult to render under my LP conditions.

High Res HERE - C&C welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HaRGB_iis.jpg)
181.5 KB55 views

Last edited by Andy01; 17-06-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 17-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)

Beautiful Andy! I think you've done a fine job. The colour and detail is spectacular.

Cheers

Steve
Old 17-06-2018, 01:33 PM
topheart

Beautiful!
Very well composed!
Congratulations Andy.
Cheers,
Tim
Old 17-06-2018, 03:33 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Spectacular on a grand scale, Andy! At full res there are some odd shaped stars and some odd coloured ones (mustard?) but it's a very cool field.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 17-06-2018, 05:49 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yeah the field is amazing huh?...pretty well coloured for a HaRGB from the inner burbs of Melbourne, so well done As you say, there looks to be some blue missing, that NGC 6595 area does have some lovely colour in and around it if you can get it to show, so I think darker skies would have helped with overall colour fidelity in general. I really liked your original EE Barnard Ha version though

Mike
Old 17-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Nice one Andy. I particularly like the swirling dust across the face of the nebula.
Old 17-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
Beautiful Andy! I think you've done a fine job. The colour and detail is spectacular.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve, appreciate your feedback, cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheart View Post
Beautiful!
Very well composed!
Congratulations Andy.
Cheers,
Tim
Cheers Tim! Truthfully, composition is my thing - I spend ages working out FOV, camera rotation angles etc. testing as I go.
The last thing I want to do is spend 20+ hrs on an image that I'm not happy with compositionally, as it's too late to fix it later!
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Spectacular on a grand scale, Andy! At full res there are some odd shaped stars and some odd coloured ones (mustard?) but it's a very cool field.

Cheers,
Rick.
Cheers Rick - mmm I was a bit close to the edges when framing.
Maybe I didn't allow quite enough overlap between frames, and I may also need to revisit the spacer rings between the flattener and the camera -it could be .5 mm out; resulting in some slight coma at the edges, which doesn't help with registration.

As to colour - well if it was taken under dark skies we wouldn't be having this conversation!

But I take your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yeah the field is amazing huh?...pretty well coloured for a HaRGB from the inner burbs of Melbourne, so well done As you say, there looks to be some blue missing, that NGC 6595 area does have some lovely colour in and around it if you can get it to show, so I think darker skies would have helped with overall colour fidelity in general. I really liked your original EE Barnard Ha version though

Mike
Cheers Mike, I concur that maybe this one looks better in Mono.
That being said, shooting RGB under LP does test and hone one's processing skills!

Always learning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Nice one Andy. I particularly like the swirling dust across the face of the nebula.
Cheers Rodney, there's lots to see and ponder in this field.
Thanks for the nice feedback!
Old 17-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Looks fantastic Andy! I'm hoping to image this in August but it sure won't look anything like this!
Composition is something I don't do but seeing your images makes me think that I really should take it into consideration before I put a night or two into shooting it
Old 19-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Composition is something I don't do but seeing your images makes me think that I really should take it into consideration before I put a night or two into shooting it
Woohoo, onya Colin - I'm liking the sound of that, it really does make a difference