Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 11-06-2018, 09:26 AM
roughy (Mark)

Pixinsight and Photoshop Flowcharts/Workflows

I am fairly certain I have seen something on these on this forum several years ago but am currently unable to find them. Can anyone point me in their direction or to where some flwocharts/Workflow diagrams etc may exist elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:51 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Have you tried google? I found a few PixInsight ones with a quick search. I'm sure there are PS ones out there.
Old 17-06-2018, 11:20 AM
roughy (Mark)

Thanks Bart
Yep, tried a few searches and found some really helpful.surprising though how many variations on the workflow there is.
Guess I’ll just have to exercise some patience and discipline and realise this will take time to develop what suits me.
Cheers
Mark
Old 17-06-2018, 03:07 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Mark,

I did a PDF version of mine a few years back but it would need an update before posting. In reality I just have a rough order of operations which I tweak and augment depending on what the image needs.

For LRGB it's something like:

Raw subs: Blink/discard bad subs; SubframeSelector discard bad subs/weight remainder on FWHM/Eccentricity/SNR; BPP calibrate; register; integrate

Lum: DBE if needed; decon if needed; light noise reduction; HT stretch; star reduction; HDRMT/LHE if needed, blended back with original; MLT sharpen

RGB: combine channels; DBE if needed; colour calibration, usually PCC; light noise reduction; HT stretch, sometimes combined with some Arcsinh stretch; heavier noise reduction, especially chrominance if needed; clipped lum mask/Curves saturation boost

LRGB: combine L and RGB; final contrast adjustment

Have you seen Jim Morse's PI crib sheet? He hasn't done an update for a while but it's a great collection of useful PI info. PM me and I can email you a copy.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 17-06-2018, 05:59 PM
roughy (Mark)

No, I haven't seen the crib sheet. Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 21-06-2018, 10:26 AM
gregbradley

Just a heads up. I received a marketing email from Adam Block about PI tutorials that are streamed from the internet.

I have his Photoshop and CCDstack tutorials and I really like his presentation style. He is very in depth when it comes to Photoshop and CCDstack so I think whilst his videos are a tad expensive for PI they are likely to be the best.

His images over the years have been about the best around as well so its a real high end imager doing a video tutorial.

Greg.
Old 21-06-2018, 02:10 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

The light vortex tutorials site has a suggested PI workflow process. But yes I think the best is to develope your own over time. Like Rick I started with a simple order of operations, something easy to note down and understand to follow that will take " my data" and produce " an image". So it should be repeatable with no fuss and the way I work and capture its also my simple way of just chucking some data into PI and do a quick process to see if I got what I was after before going on to more lengthy processing.

My simple steps have rarely changed as I've changed gear, knowledge and skills. But its been the basis for my more serious processing workflow hich is very fluid for me. When a new feature or drastic feature improvement occurs in PixInsight I find it can cut down the need to run certain steps in my workflow or add more to it. I like to try to understand what each step in my workflow is trying to achieve as sometimes they are too subtle to notice at the time but allow for a better result in a later step. So I like to run through other peoples tutorials and think "oh, they're using this feature here to reduce most fine grain noise with little to no alteration of signal... hmm...." and I break out steps and plug them into my workflow and see how they go, or maybe features are explained better so I can now make more sensible setting adjustments with understanding. It's an iterative process and my workflow is workable regardless of the target mostly. its also easy to isolate a step to rerun it several times with small value changes instead of once with an aggressive value. Its far from perfect but for me I'm happy with how its evolved and how I can use the same workflow instead of having lots of workflows for star scapes, nebulosity, dslr planetary, galaxies. so my workflow is working well for me from the point I have a stacked integration frame. (So I can take flats lights darks bias etc and align and stack them in any software I like regardless of my capture gear as long as I get a single 64bit integraion file to start processing with. I also have capture/preprocessing workflows that vary depending on my capture gear and formats. Generally if I'm using a scope and imaging cam to do planets or lunar/solar surface they have their own processing workflows, otherwise its typically widefield captured on a tripod and my PI workflow kicks in there. But I recently read some info on PI wavelets that can help me put those into my regular workflow and maybe get absolutely everything processed the same way. My goal: one workflow to rule all my data.

I've tried to avoid "if nebulosity do these steps" in my workflow, I've found with good star masks I can keep in steps aimed at enhancing/brightening nebulosity and galaxies and they dont noticably effect a plain starfield image as I'm enhancing just above the noise but still in the black. Its satisfying to get a workflow you are happy with. Some operations have a side effect of cleaning noise at certain scales and others sharpen detail at other scales and what order you do them in can eliminate the need for a noise reduction operation or reduce it to certain scales at subtle values. experiment with what works for you and gives you satisfying results.

I'll stop rambling now
Old 21-06-2018, 04:10 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Have you seen Jim Morse's PI crib sheet? He hasn't done an update for a while but it's a great collection of useful PI info. PM me and I can email you a copy.
You mean this?

http://www.jimmorse-astronomy.com/im...ing-part1.html

Markus
Old 25-06-2018, 09:43 AM
roughy (Mark)

Someone has also pointed me in the direction of IP4AP which I intend to check out.
Old 26-06-2018, 07:02 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Nope, that's not it. The crib sheet is a large MS Word doc with a lot of info that Jim has collected from PI Forum posts and elsewhere.

Cheers,
Rick.