Old 01-06-2018, 06:37 PM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

EQ5 Belt Mod

Hi all.

Recently I discovered the belt mod for EQ6 mount offered at http://rowanastronomy.com

This got me thinking if I could do the same for the EQ5. Turns out you need some special pulleys that aren't standard

If we want to do the mod and still have the synscan controller work then we need a gear ratio of 9:44! If we use T2.5 profile teeth then we have the option of using Rowans 9 tooth T2.5 sprocket.

Atm I'm emailing some pulley manufacturers to see if anyone can custom make these pulleys, if anyone else is interested in this mod yet me know!

I'm planning on buying enough parts to mod 5 telescopes for the first batch as a lot of these places don't like doing one offs.

Also worth noting a polish guy has already done the mod to his EQ5 so we know it's possible: https://translate.google.com/transla...elt-mod-atm%2F

The only two main problems atm is the plastic casing for the RA axis doesn't have enough room stock for the 44 tooth pulley so some modification might be needed. Also standard T2.5 belt size is 58 teeth and we need 57 teeth if we don't want to have to use a tensioning system...

Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:12 AM
StuTodd

Yeah, try their EQ5 belt mod kit?

http://rowanastronomy.com/productsa1.htm#neq5beltkit
Old 02-06-2018, 02:52 AM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

That's for the HEQ5 not the EQ5. The HEQ5 uses a reduction ratio of 47:9 the EQ5 uses a ratio of 44:9. If you use an incorrect ratio it eliminates the possibility for the synscan controller to be used (eqmod would work)

It was asked before by the polish guy if he would make a kit for the eq5 but that was a negative. You can however by the gears separately which would at least allow you to use his 9 tooth T2.5 gear.

The 9 tooth gear is harder to manufacture because of the low teeth count. If you look at rowans design you can see it looks "different" then normal pulleys.

I've been thinking anyway of building my own kit for the EQ5, might as well see if I can make the 9 tooth gear also so I can offer it as a complete kit.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:10 PM
StuTodd

Yes, my bad. I think it will be a homebrew build OO.

Could you do the Rowan Kit and just use the excellent ASCOM anyway?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Or you could make your own controller, OnStep based for example. Then you could use whatever gearing you want.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 PM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

The only custom gear I need is the 44 tooth gear. I could just get the 9 tooth one from rowan.

But the perfectionist in me wants better. There's a whole bunch of little annoyances when doing this mod for EQ5 (like plastic covers not fitting right) so my end goal is to sort out all the kinks and make the perfect belt mod for eq5

Problem is with the effort involved (and minimal order issues) it doesn't make sense doing a one off. I'll probably order enough parts to do 5 mounts to start with. If this project comes in under $100 I'll be happy