Old 11-06-2018, 10:49 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

best orthoscopic ep

Hi,

I need a planetary ep of about 12mm for a C11. It's to fit between a Parks GS 15mm and a czj 10mm ortho.

I love my UO HD orthos (9, 7 & 5mm) in the newtonian and would buy the 12.5mm if they were still made. So now I'm tossing up between the Fujiyama HD 12.5mm and the Tak 12.5mm Abbe. I have 3 questions.

Does anyone know whether the optics in the Fujiyama are the same as in the UO (the HD moniker was used by UO)?

Does anyone have direct experience with both Fujiyama HD and Tak orthos?

Given that I am not worried about eye relief or fov can anyone make a case not to chose an ortho?

thanks for any input,
David
Old 11-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Profiler (Profiler)

The Tak orthos are considered a step above all others except the CZJ and TMB monos

The Fuji/UO/Hotech are supposedly from the same factory only constructed/housed differently.

All EPs are exceptionally good and there isnt much difference between any of them "except" on rare nights when conditions are exceptionally good. Then, the pecking order becomes more apparent.

On all other nights the most notable difference will be in construction in which the Taks excell and are, by ortho standards, one of the most comfortable ever made for regualar use.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:10 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I have had two full sets of Fujiyama orthos and the contrast and sharpness is second to none,I have had a Tak 6mm Abbe also and IMHO is no better than the Fuji 6mm and as i have been lead to believe are all made at the same place in Japan just different specs but my problem is i cannot get used to the small fov and/or the er ,Tried obviously as i bought the full set twice just not for me ,The Tak orthos are definitely not worth the extra coin if the 6mm is anything to go by and think that you will be more than happy with the 12.5 Fujiyama as with the 18mm were my favourites out of the set

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Hi,

I need a planetary ep of about 12mm for a C11. It's to fit between a Parks GS 15mm and a czj 10mm ortho.

I love my UO HD orthos (9, 7 & 5mm) in the newtonian and would buy the 12.5mm if they were still made. So now I'm tossing up between the Fujiyama HD 12.5mm and the Tak 12.5mm Abbe. I have 3 questions.

Does anyone know whether the optics in the Fujiyama are the same as in the UO (the HD moniker was used by UO)?

Does anyone have direct experience with both Fujiyama HD and Tak orthos?

Given that I am not worried about eye relief or fov can anyone make a case not to chose an ortho?

thanks for any input,
David
Old 11-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Profiler (Profiler)

I would generally agree with this - the differences in quality are really only apparent on very good nights. 90% of the time the differences in optical quality amongst any of these wont be apparent as they are all good examples of quality optics. From what I have read the Tak's do have a different production process and physically are plainly different. Whether they are worth the money depends on your pockets and how you value things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
I have had two full sets of Fujiyama orthos and the contrast and sharpness is second to none,I have had a Tak 6mm Abbe also and IMHO is no better than the Fuji 6mm and as i have been lead to believe are all made at the same place in Japan just different specs but my problem is i cannot get used to the small fov and/or the er ,Tried obviously as i bought the full set twice just not for me ,The Tak orthos are definitely not worth the extra coin if the 6mm is anything to go by and think that you will be more than happy with the 12.5 Fujiyama as with the 18mm were my favourites out of the set

Last edited by Profiler; 11-06-2018 at 02:59 PM.