Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 01-11-2007, 09:29 AM
John Saunders
Live long and prosper

Help needed with school star-gazing night

Hi folks.

I am looking for some help with a star-gazing night in Bracken Ridge (north Brisbane) on Tuesday 20 November. My wife is a teacher in the local state Primary school and her grade level has just been doing a unit on stars, planets and all things "out there" (no, that doesn't include my overly bright Hawaiian beach shirt...though that is a bit "out there") and they wanted to culminate with a night looking at Lady Lunar and whatever else is around. (Jupiter, Orion, Pelaides will all be visible at different times on that night)

My problem is that I only have two scopes and one of me for the sixty plus Year 5s and unfortunately the AAQ schools team seems booked that week already - so if there are others around who might be free on that night it would be appreciated. All you need is a scope, a Blue Card (mandatory requirement these days), a spare two hours, and a willingness to help a group of kids appreciate the sky.

Please either reply to this thread or PM me if you are available.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 PM
mlcolbert

John Hi!

is it possible to set up a video camera to the telescope so that groups of students could be looking at one object, whilst another group looks at a second object (with camera?) Maybe the local school or the Education Department could help out here with the equipment, as your wife is a teacher?

The only thing I can come up with down here in Sydney!

good luck in the encouragement department as well, I have the same situation with several of my students....

michael
Old 01-11-2007, 03:08 PM
leon

Although I cant help, physically, but when I did one of those nights a little while ago, it was obvious to me that i had to keep it simple.

Kids loose interest very quickly, good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

Leon
Old 01-11-2007, 03:26 PM
John Saunders
Live long and prosper

Thanks for the moral support, Leon & Michael. I'm an ex-teacher so I know what you mean about keeping them interested...and with my wife's class the attention spans will be very short for some of them! I don't have access to a camera, but I'm hoping somebody out there will and can bring one along - good thought, though.

John
Old 01-11-2007, 04:27 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

The Blue Card is the only thing stopping me from helping out. Sorry.

How about getting the kids to bring along a pair of binoculars to observe with.
Apart from the moon, they should be able to nab M31, the Pleaides and Jupiter and his moons.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

How does one go about getting a blue card for these casual situations if the volunteer organisation needs to apply for the card on their behalf?

Eric
Old 01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
John Saunders
Live long and prosper

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
How does one go about getting a blue card for these casual situations if the volunteer organisation needs to apply for the card on their behalf?

Eric
Good point, Eric. I will have to look into that one. If you are involved with any community group or church you would be able to get one through them.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 PM
astromark

Talk to your local police station re; the blue card... they might surprise you.
We have a local policeman as one of the volunteers here.. here does not help you.. NZ.
One telescope for each object is the best with kids. The moon will be ideally placed on the 20th. near Jupiter. good luck.