Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 29-07-2014, 10:25 PM
stanlite (Grady)

I had considered the TAK's they are very pretty. I am really trying for a triplet though much as the TS128 looks great its still only a doublet isn't it?.

Also I don't quite have the money just yet lol.
Old 29-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Allan

Yes TEC and AP are at the top of the tree for high quality hand made APO's. If I was spending that money on an OTA for imaging I would look at the Tak triplets. Hugh's images using the TSA120 are awesome. The FS and FC scopes are very nice for visual, but not at the TSA level that suits imaging. You could consider an FSQ106 or NP101is if max wide field is your thing.
Old 29-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlite View Post
I had considered the TAK's they are very pretty. I am really trying for a triplet though much as the TS128 looks great its still only a doublet isn't it?.

Also I don't quite have the money just yet lol.
Whilst not in your aperture range AEC has a FSQ-85 advertised under it's customer listing. Not sure what price is being asked. AEC seems to be having a dummy spit regarding listing prices so it may pay to ring Claude if interested but be warned (not in a bad way) he likes to talk.
Old 29-07-2014, 11:38 PM
netwolf

Recnetly saw that Tan14 is selling TAK's and the prices look good. Does the Free Trade Agreement have any impact on TAK prices in Aus?

http://www.tan14.com/Tak.htm
Old 30-07-2014, 12:18 AM
PlanetMan

No - but Astro gear is in a free tariff category anyhow. What this means is that other than the cost of the item, shipping and custom processing fee (roughly $48) all that has to be paid is an extra 10% for GST.
Old 30-07-2014, 04:58 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

AEC WANTED $3250 for the ex-demo FSQ85 (I believe it has since sold, but you can ask). That's BARE OTA, no visual adapters, no clamshell, no finder.

I passed and grabbed Steve's FSQ85 on the trader at the SAME price, but WITH 7x50 finder, clamshell, offset plate and complete visual back.
Old 30-07-2014, 08:58 AM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Televue - well, I find them odd. Good optics, ugly as mud (weird retro-60's look about them to me)...
This begs the question; what makes a telescope aesthetically pleasing?

I personally like the looks of the NP-101 and NP-127 but not so much the NP-101is or NP-127is even though the 'is' versions have many more features more suited for astrophotography but can be used for visual. (I am mainly visual and for that I don't even need a fine focuser as the telescopes I use snap to focus nicely for me).

On the other hand I find the Takahashi very clinical in appearance always reminding me of a piece of equipment used in a medical imaging facility. I think it's the colour scheme that is somewhat unaesthetic. I cannot comment on the optics as I have never looked through a Tak but I'm sure they are superb based on comments by other users.

One of my personal favourite (no longer commercially available) telescope is 6" f12 Super Planetary by Astro-Physics. There's just something about a long refractor mounted on a high mount. I didn't own one but got to use one on many occasions. After saying that though, I really like the looks of the 130mm f6.3 'Gran Turismo' by Astro-Physics as it is much more practical but also 'good looking'.

Aeshetics is a complex thing; What is beautiful to one person is ugly to another. Form and function both make for good design though and one could argue that as long as the images are exquisite, it doesn't really matter what the telescope looks like.
Old 30-07-2014, 09:56 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Agreed.

You must admit though, has Celestron made an aesthetically pleasing product for the past 25 years? Always got totally useless, bulging curves, festooned with plastic and then bedecked in "Hey, look at me" orange.

I find the Tak green very appealing oddly- for the very reason you mention - they look like professional, clinical instruments (some of the SEM's I work with are a similar tone). Their older Neutral Grey colour for their castings was a bit weird. Vixen's old hammertone green I love, though the newer all white is just like a snowball. WO's varied anodising is either good or bad, depending on which colour they use (the gold is a put off for me, but the red is fine)

None of it impacts on the optical quality, but it does have a bearing on how we perceive our scope. Some couldn't care less about the looks, and their scopes usually show it too (rust, dirt, scratches...)
Old 30-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Another scope to consider would be the Vixen AX103S Super Apochromat available locally through MyAstroShop.

Steve.
Old 30-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I love garish Celestron orange - it is the natural camouflage for a C8!!
Old 30-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
This begs the question; what makes a telescope aesthetically pleasing?

I personally like the looks of the NP-101 and NP-127 but not so much the NP-101is or NP-127is even though the 'is' versions have many more features more suited for astrophotography but can be used for visual. (I am mainly visual and for that I don't even need a fine focuser as the telescopes I use snap to focus nicely for me).

On the other hand I find the Takahashi very clinical in appearance always reminding me of a piece of equipment used in a medical imaging facility. I think it's the colour scheme that is somewhat unaesthetic. I cannot comment on the optics as I have never looked through a Tak but I'm sure they are superb based on comments by other users.

One of my personal favourite (no longer commercially available) telescope is 6" f12 Super Planetary by Astro-Physics. There's just something about a long refractor mounted on a high mount. I didn't own one but got to use one on many occasions. After saying that though, I really like the looks of the 130mm f6.3 'Gran Turismo' by Astro-Physics as it is much more practical but also 'good looking'.

Aeshetics is a complex thing; What is beautiful to one person is ugly to another. Form and function both make for good design though and one could argue that as long as the images are exquisite, it doesn't really matter what the telescope looks like.
IMO no refractor is more aesthetically pleasing than Tim Wetherell's own, but now sold, 200mm APO refractor. Optics by TEC...tube custom built by Tim.

http://www.wetherellart.co.uk/sculpt...refractor.html
Old 30-07-2014, 08:05 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
IMO no refractor is more aesthetically pleasing than Tim Wetherell's own, but now sold, 200mm APO refractor. Optics by TEC...tube custom built by Tim.

http://www.wetherellart.co.uk/sculpt...refractor.html

That's absolutely stunning!
Old 30-07-2014, 08:10 PM
jamespierce (James)

TAK TSA 102 and 120 (120 second hand) would be a great option.

A FS128 is a great scope, though it needs a much more serious mount than the previous two.

The FC100 is a little sleeper, very light, very good images, very fast to cool because of the lack of glass !
Old 30-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

I should add that IMO the second best aesthetically pleasing refractor is my APOMAX 5" f/12
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (APOMAX.jpg)
144.3 KB50 views
Old 30-07-2014, 08:19 PM
jamespierce (James)

Note the FS128 in the classifieds.. with a few nice extras. (no association)
Old 30-07-2014, 09:36 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

I vote for the Tak TSA 102: lovely scope. I have used the TEC 140, and it wasn't quite there in comparison.
I had an interesting discussion with the people at Williams a couple of years back when I asked if they could guarantee their FLT110 would reach 50x per inch for planetary viewing on a good night. They just said "It will give lovely sharp images." When I said I was considering the Tak, the guy said "We can't beat that."
Guess what I bought?
Oh, and if you want pretty, check out: http://www.moonrakertelescopes.co.uk/custom-builds.html

Happy shopping!

- Dean

PS: If money is no object there is always this one:
http://www.marketplace.skyandtelesco...sting-314.aspx
(They dropped the price by $200,000 a while back...)
Old 30-07-2014, 09:51 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Grady,

Perking your interest back to the original list, why not the APM 107 f6.5. I believe that the Astro-tech 106 is the same lens and they can be had for around $1500. Though I do not do photography, I have been very impressed with my AT106, it compares favourably with my Astro-Physics 130EDT. The field is not as flat, but a flattener can rectify this.
Old 30-07-2014, 09:58 PM
PeterHA (Peter)
Murphy's Friend

The new FC-100 I have one

I have one of the new FC-100 scopes since about one year. I only do visual but I and an experienced friend of mine cannot fault this scope, we did Sirius companion with it.
Depending on the object it takes up to 250x easily.
Well in you price range, very fast cool down and due to low weight easy on the mounts.
I would prefer the photographic version which came out this year it as a bigger focuser (like ex Sky90).
Old 31-07-2014, 12:27 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatch View Post
I vote for the Tak TSA 102: lovely scope. I have used the TEC 140, and it wasn't quite there in comparison.
That's an interesting observation Dean. The TEC 140 should blow the TSA 102 away. Double the surface area. Oil versus air spaced triplets, both are optically very good. The TEC has a better focuser and that nice hand crafted build quality.
Old 31-07-2014, 07:35 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatch View Post

PS: If money is no object there is always this one:
http://www.marketplace.skyandtelesco...sting-314.aspx
(They dropped the price by $200,000 a while back...)
Beware of the hidden cost - diag, EPs and observer will need replaced regularly due to severe photon erosion.