Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 16-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Just amazing M&T.
Spent a good 30 minutes admiring your full resolution image and enjoying the superb write up.
Many thanks for your kind words Jeff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
One ring to fool them all and in their backside bite them.

It's not an artefact. It's an actual thingy. I wonder how it came into being, looking so distinct as a ring, yet so near a huge force. Or maybe it's not as near as it looks and maybe it's an object not created by the same event or circumstance as NGC371.
As to what element it might be I don't know. In more common colour processing it looks turquoise. Iron?

Here's one I couldn't find the original from, so no artist credits showing the same distinct ring very well http://s1.1zoom.me/big0/850/Stars_NG...346_500951.jpg
And this one shows it's turquoise shade but the ring form is lost. https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2873...b0f8e99d_b.jpg

Intriguing. Quite overwhelming how looking at [your] images it makes me NEED to know science facts re cause, effect and elements. That I have no knowledge makes me want to scream like a toddler in frustration. Anyone else get that emotion?
Very well researched. That will larn me! Of course it has to be real, because of the way we took the image as three very distinct frames, and it is in all of them! I discounted it because it looked so special.

Don Goldman (who makes the 3nM filters we use) took a very fine shot which shows it. He's even annotated it with the catalogue number E0102. The fact that it is intensely blue means it showed up in our OIII filter but not in our H-alpha filter. That it is very tiny and very bright in OIII suggests that it's something that happened very violently and very recently. The first thing that comes to mind is the young remnant of a supernova explosion. If it were very nearby one might think of a Wolf Rayet nebula (like Herschel's ring) or a planetary nebula (like the Ring nebula in Lyra), but I'm sticking my neck out and guessing it's too bright for and too pure in OIII for a WR, and far too big and bright to be a PN in another galaxy, but as you so poetically said, one ring to fool them all and in the backside bite 'em.

Once again, thanks so much for having a very close look at it.

STOP PRESS POSTSCRIPT: Googling E0102 reveals it is indeed a supernova remnant!!!

How about that !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Another crackerjack image M&T - you've off shown the hidden beauty within the SMC and unveiled all of it's treasures - very nicely done!
Thanks Andy, that's beautifully put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
Just beautiful!
Thanks Kevin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Top shot Mike. I can see everything but the fish.

I think it's time to start lobbying for the green again. Vive le vert!
Thanks muchly Marc for the support on multiple fronts!

… "She's the most distressful galaxy
That ever yet was seen;
They're hanging men and women there
For wearing of the green

(Mike's maternal grandfather was, horror of horrors, a loyal Orangeman. More distantly on his paternal grandfather's side were the Moriarty's, who may or may not have been green. The Berthon clan were of course French Huguenots who were definitely not green, and were the bad guys in the movie Versailles, although one of them did make astronomical instruments. The Jones lot were Welsh of no repute at all and well out of it. But most of his genes seem to have come from his great great great grandfather on his father's mother's side, who was Greek and struck not green but gold at Ophir, not far from Placidus.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Goldfish.jpg.jpg)
190.8 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (caf--goldfish__main.jpg)
30.8 KB7 views

Last edited by Placidus; 16-09-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 16-09-2018, 06:10 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quite a feast for the eyes M&T. There is so much going on in that field and I can see at least two other fish emerging from the deep, swimming toward the camera in the top RH quadrant of the image.
Old 16-09-2018, 06:26 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

so detailed and sharp M&T, and quite a different palette. Yours is so much more detailed than the SMC image I am posting soon, but then again I have a 5 degree fov!

I must image the SMC and LMC the most, I find it chock full of interest and intrigue
Old 16-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I checked my full resolution HaOIIIRGB image and I cannot see anything but a green tinge in that area but I also don’t have the resolution or integration to be able to separate it from the neighboring area.

Great catch!
Old 18-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Quite a feast for the eyes M&T. There is so much going on in that field and I can see at least two other fish emerging from the deep, swimming toward the camera in the top RH quadrant of the image.
Thanks, Peter. Found the other fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
so detailed and sharp M&T, and quite a different palette. Yours is so much more detailed than the SMC image I am posting soon, but then again I have a 5 degree fov!

I must image the SMC and LMC the most, I find it chock full of interest and intrigue
Thanks Simmo. Five degrees! So you can do the Vela SNR, Andromeda, the Veil nebula, that big thing in Monoceros ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I checked my full resolution HaOIIIRGB image and I cannot see anything but a green tinge in that area but I also don’t have the resolution or integration to be able to separate it from the neighboring area.

Great catch!
Cheers, Colin. Yes, there we were thinking it was an artifact, and it's the most interesting thing in the whole image. A bit like SN1987A in the LMC, only large enough to resolve.
Old 18-09-2018, 11:24 PM
silv (Annette)

#21 @M&T thank you VERY much for the additional info! You're heroes *flower bouquet smiley*
Old 19-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Stevec35 (Steve)

Nice view of one of my favourite vistas in the SMC M&T. I have to admit I don't like the palette very much though.

Cheers

Steve
Old 19-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
#21 @M&T thank you VERY much for the additional info! You're heroes *flower bouquet smiley*
You are most welcome! Thanks for your enthusiasm, which is heartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
Nice view of one of my favourite vistas in the SMC M&T. I have to admit I don't like the palette very much though.

Cheers

Steve

Ta, Steve.

We notice that your image of the area has SII Ha OIII, and it is not possible or meaningful to directly compare it with ours aesthetically; it is like comparing a sunset with a beach scene, with different underlying structures and chemicals.

Our palette is: Ha = red, OIII = blue, green = meaningless, user please set as they see fit from the other two channels using their favourite imaging program.

For example, if you copy the blue channel over the green channel, you get the standard Ha = red, OIII = cyan. Sadly, for colourblind Mike, that produces an apparently totally grey modge.

In addition, you can copy some of the red over the blue, and pretend that it is H-beta, but that is unscientific, because we didn't actually measure H-beta, and it would be making it up.

Within those constraints and those freedoms, how would you improve the colour over what we've chosen? We'd be delighted if you wanted to download our image, remap to your choice, and post it as a thumbnail.

Very best,
Mike and Trish
Old 19-09-2018, 10:19 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

There is the Hubble palette aaaand there is the Placidus palette...I recon it could well take off guys

What I like about you guys is that you don't conform, you are not driven by artistic "look" or visual convention alone all the time and ya know what?...most of us are all getting used to it, so good on you

Mike
Old 19-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
There is the Hubble palette aaaand there is the Placidus palette...I recon it could well take off guys

What I like about you guys is that you don't conform, you are not driven by artistic "look" or visual convention alone all the time and ya know what?...most of us are all getting used to it, so good on you

Mike
Thanks Mike !
Old 19-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)

Ta, Steve.

We notice that your image of the area has SII Ha OIII, and it is not possible or meaningful to directly compare it with ours aesthetically; it is like comparing a sunset with a beach scene, with different underlying structures and chemicals.

Our palette is: Ha = red, OIII = blue, green = meaningless, user please set as they see fit from the other two channels using their favourite imaging program.

For example, if you copy the blue channel over the green channel, you get the standard Ha = red, OIII = cyan. Sadly, for colourblind Mike, that produces an apparently totally grey modge.

In addition, you can copy some of the red over the blue, and pretend that it is H-beta, but that is unscientific, because we didn't actually measure H-beta, and it would be making it up.

Within those constraints and those freedoms, how would you improve the colour over what we've chosen? We'd be delighted if you wanted to download our image, remap to your choice, and post it as a thumbnail.

Good point guys. I now think you've done very well with the "Placidus" palette - the detail is outstanding. I don't think I could do anything better. My preference for imaging this area has always been HaRGB and that probably influences my comments. Here's a HaRGB image of mine from a few years back.

http://members.pcug.org.au/~stevec/ngc346_STL11K_RC.htm
Old 20-09-2018, 06:15 AM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
Good point guys. I now think you've done very well with the "Placidus" palette - the detail is outstanding. I don't think I could do anything better. My preference for imaging this area has always been HaRGB and that probably influences my comments. Here's a HaRGB image of mine from a few years back.

http://members.pcug.org.au/~stevec/ngc346_STL11K_RC.htm
Wow! The RGB in your HaRGB image reminds the forgetful that it is another galaxy with billions of stars, and very clearly shows the cluster that is powering the duck.
Old 28-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Ross G

Hello Mike and Trush.

What an amazing photo....so sharp and detailed!

It's rare that I zoom into a photo to check out all the detail but I spent ages in yours admiring the objects and shapes.

I love the composition and colour.

Inspiring work!

Ross.
Old 29-09-2018, 05:46 AM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross G View Post
Hello Mike and Trush.

What an amazing photo....so sharp and detailed!

It's rare that I zoom into a photo to check out all the detail but I spent ages in yours admiring the objects and shapes.

I love the composition and colour.

Inspiring work!

Ross.
Thanks muchly Ross. That's heartening.