Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 22-04-2014, 07:21 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

People are grots!

I am constantly amazed by just how filthy and stupid people are. Over the years I've bought a number of properties and have then spent months to years cleaning up the accumulated garbage of generations. I reckon I've removed 15 dump truck loads of everything from bottles to cars.... Annoying as hell.

Latest delight, I started removing a seemingly innocuous mound of gravel from my new observatory site and its turned into a massive excavation.... bits of car, scrap metal, bottles, bolts, wire, corrugated iron, broken glass, bricks, you name it... I've also removed 3 cubic metres of cracked concrete and to top it off, I've just found the remains of two 2 metre diameter metal water tanks, buried 5 cm deep in really badly done concrete! All has to be cleaned up.....What kind of Nongs do this kind stuff?

I've spent the last 4 days digging, sorting and recycling. Nice holiday treat. Please, oh please plan for redundancy in everything you do. Your kids might just thank you!

Next week.... I plan to walk a 4 km stretch of amazingly beautiful mountain rd near where I live picking up the crap more Nongs just chuck from their cars. I HATE junk food for the rubbish that gets spewed out into the environment and I just cant bare looking at this filth any longer.. Why on earth do people crap up their own environment??? Are we devolving into morons??

Okay, that's my annual rant.... I feel much better now.
Old 22-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Are we devolving into morons??
Not exactly. It's just that modern medicine means more of them survive to breeding age.

I was taught from the earliest age (and reinforced through every school camp/outing I went on) to clean up after myself. Surely, at least as far as school goes, this is the norm?
Old 22-04-2014, 07:31 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
Not exactly. It's just that modern medicine means more of them survive to breeding age.
That's such a scary thought...

One place I helped clean out, the silly twit left behind a jewelry box full of gold, cameras, lenses, all sorts of goodies,
Old 22-04-2014, 07:35 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I hate to say this , but you are right to condemn these 'GROT'S' as you call them .

When I first arrived in this beautiful continant over 6 years ago from NZ the first thing I noticed was the amount of rubbish just tossed on the ground by what I was amaized to see ,, seemingly average people , families ( mum's and dad's setting a bad example to their kids ) etc. out on a weekend just tossing their rubbish on the ground 10 metres from a bin and driving away ,,, all the time ( more often than I had ever seen ) ,,,yes , I know it happens in NZ but I think Aussies need some kind of wake up call on this , heavy penalties? like Singapore ?

My rant , and you are right to complain , I salute your efforts in walking 4km to pick up these lazy so and so's rubbish , good luck ..
Brian.
Old 22-04-2014, 07:47 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Every time I mow our road frontage I get a reminder that people are just pigs. During the growing months it is about once a month I do the frontage and every single time I do it there is a new crop of just about anything you could care to name.

Bottles, glass and plastic and for just about every type of drink under the sun, fast food wrappers from every [insert american food cain here] you can think of though the nearest of them is about half an hour away by car, bags of domestic rubbish, mattresses, you name it, the list just goes on and on, and it is not like we are on a quiet back road, actually we front one of them too and apart from the occasional dump and run job because people won't pay the tipping fees it does far better than the main road.

People are just disgusting grotty pigs in a depressingly large portion of the population.
Old 22-04-2014, 07:50 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
I hate to say this , but you are right to condemn these 'GROT'S' as you call them .

When I first arrived in this beautiful continant over 6 years ago from NZ the first thing I noticed was the amount of rubbish just tossed on the ground by what I was amaized to see ,, seemingly average people , families ( mum's and dad's setting a bad example to their kids ) etc. out on a weekend just tossing their rubbish on the ground 10 metres from a bin and driving away ,,, all the time ( more often than I had ever seen ) ,,,yes , I know it happens in NZ but I think Aussies need some kind of wake up call on this , heavy penalties? like Singapore ?

My rant , and you are right to complain , I salute your efforts in walking 4km to pick up these lazy so and so's rubbish , good luck ..
Brian.
Hi Brian, Years ago when I drove from Kalgorlie to Norsman, both sides of the road had stubbie bottles from one place to the other.
Scouts did a 15 kilometer cleanup drive and got about 30 tons of glass
The last time I was over there it was still the same.
Cheers
Old 22-04-2014, 07:57 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Bottles, glass and plastic and for just about every type of drink under the sun, fast food wrappers from every [insert american food cain here] you can think of though the nearest of them is about half an hour away by car, bags of domestic rubbish, mattresses, you name it, the list just goes on and on
No used needles?
I occasionally find one of these nice gifts from our local oxygen thieves.
Well, to support their habit they are thieving more than just oxygen, but sadly they are still breathing.. for now.
Old 22-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Rom,

You need to watch Idiocracy.

H
Old 22-04-2014, 08:08 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Idiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Rom,

H
Saw it years ago... laughed, stared in horror and cried the more I watched. Its coming true!!!
Old 22-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Matt Wastell (Matt)
Look up, look good!

I feel your pain. On the bright side - maybe we could pile up all the rubbish and revisit the Moon!
Old 22-04-2014, 08:18 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
No used needles?
I occasionally find one of these nice gifts from our local oxygen thieves.
Well, to support their habit they are thieving more than just oxygen, but sadly they are still breathing.. for now.
No needles thankfully, not that I have seen sitting up on a tractor anyway. We are a decent distance out of town so unless people are using them behind the wheel there should not be many to contend with.
Old 22-04-2014, 08:20 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

We live in a block of 5 condos. 4 out of the 5 neighbours are great, but the one in the middle....

He sits on the balcony, stubs out his fag, and flicks it out onto the driveway below. I walked to my second car this morning that I park out on the road, and again, easily 20 cigarette butts on the driveway in front of his place.

Same nong (damn it, you started me using that word! ) drives his ute into the shared entry driveway at a great rate of knots. Yesyerday, I was out with my daughter washing the car, and also washing her with the pressure cleaner (Not close up of course!) Well, nong comes home and races around the driveaway. I am yelling at my daughter to get out of the way, but she freezes in fright. He actually stops and shakes his head.

Same nong had a drunken orgy (for want of a better term) the other night. Police came 4 times, before they finally slapped them with a cease and desist/disruption of the peace order. That shut them up! And it was not us nor our immediate neighbour that did it - seems it was the house next door.

Anyway, I digress. The fag butts really peeve me and I make sure to loudly proclaim about the lazy sod doing it every time I walk past it.

Last edited by RB; 22-04-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Profanity deleted
Old 22-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

I moved to Oz from London 20 years ago and spent the last few years in a council flat in a block in East London. The things I've seen people throw out of their windows, household rubbish, dirty used nappies and even a Christmas tree went flying past my window once (I was on the 8th floor) which must have been 15 foot tall (can't think how that would have looked like in a small flat). We had communal rubbish chutes which dropped to huge wheelie bins on the landings of each floor which were continually blocked by people pouring old chip fat lard down them.

I found out that I had a small 5'x5' shed on the ground floor and when I opened it it was filled by about four inches of used syringes.

The thing I could never understand was that all this was done by the people who lived there, as if they were wallowing in their own filth.

A lot of people didn't like living there so to jump the rehousing queue they used the trick of setting fire to their own abodes.
Old 22-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Rom,

H
Probably the most prescient SF movie ever made.
Renato
Old 22-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post

Next week.... I plan to walk a 4 km stretch of amazingly beautiful mountain rd near where I live picking up the crap more Nongs just chuck from their cars. I HATE junk food for the rubbish that gets spewed out into the environment and I just cant bare looking at this filth any longer.. Why on earth do people crap up their own environment??? Are we devolving into morons??
Time to bring back those "Keep Australia Beautiful" ads to remind people that if they do that, they are Nongs.

Regards,
Renato
Old 22-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

I live on a main road, and my street is always littered with takeaway wrappers, plastic coffee cups and assorted rubbish thrown from cars or dropped by pedestrians.
And don't get me started on the inconsiderate b**stards walking their damned dogs and never cleaning up after them!
Old 23-04-2014, 11:34 AM
skytry (Peter)

hi All,
when holidaying with caravan, I free camp all the time at rest area's, my van is self contained with shower & toilet on board,

as I am off the road around 1pm, the camp area's are deserted, I spend approx 1hour cleaning up some sites on arrival, from grots,

dog poop, some would not pick it up the waste and walk 20 paces too the rubbish bin provided all though they carry dogs,

makes me wonder what!!!!!!!!!!, and all states are the same,

though some caravan / travellers are tidier,

regards,
Peter.
Old 24-04-2014, 01:34 AM
Rob_K

The amount of rubbish we generate is a real problem. But my memory seems to be different. When I was young and living & working out Broken Hill way, up into the corner country & into Qld, every roadside was littered with a carpet of glittery broken glass. Now you see an odd discarded stubby but not much else. Successive roadworks have presumably buried the glass and people don't seem to throw bottles out of cars like they used to. Or maybe shearers don't drink as much as they used to! No doubt there's exceptions, like Brian pointed out.

And Melbourne - I only get down there occasionally but it seems much clearer of litter than it used to be, back in the days when the Yarra ran upside-down LOL! And you can go back further to "Marvellous Smell-bourne", when the streets ran with raw sewage and you had to step your way through stinking offal!

I reckon the anti-litter campaigns really bit. Providing huge numbers of litter bins also helped. Suppose it's a campaign that can never be completely won though, always a few nongs out there...

Cheers -
Old 24-04-2014, 01:36 AM
PCH (Paul)

Hey Rob,

were the days when sewage ran thru the streets in Melbourne in your living memory? Or are you going back to the beginnings of the colony or something?

Cheers,

Paul
Old 24-04-2014, 01:45 AM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Hey Rob,

were the days when sewage ran thru the streets in Melbourne in your living memory? Or are you going back to the beginnings of the colony or something?

Cheers,

Paul
LOL, I'm not that old Paul! That goes back to the late 1800s when Melbourne was the premier city in Australia on the back of the colony's gold riches. It was called Marvellous Melbourne because of its grand buildings and wealth but many people called it Marvellous Smell-bourne because of the stench. The authorities were forced to address the problem and devised a vast scheme for removing sewage to Werribee. Much of the original infrastructure is still in use. I did a study on a part of it once, the Main Outfall Sewer from the western suburbs to Werribee.

Cheers -