Old 21-10-2018, 08:33 AM
MortonBay (Jurgen)

Pentax XW 30mm EP

As I am very new Astronomy I have been carefully purchasing what I believe is good equipment with the help of trusted people who are part of IIS group.

My first purchase was a Sharpstar CF triplet refractor. With this OTA I purchased Badder 8 to 24 zoom EP which I found to very difficult to us and plan to sell.

When I purchased my Vixen VC200L I bought a Pentax XW 20mm EP and what a difference, brilliant to say the least and now want to purchase a Pentax XW 30mm EP but am having difficulty in finding any in Australia and for that matter world wide, can anyone advise where I might find a supplier.
Old 21-10-2018, 12:42 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Unfortunately this is one that you will have to wait for used and be lucky enough to be there when it's listed or someone else will get it and make sure you've got $600-$800 bucks to buy it,The last XW 40mm i was aware of selling went for $1000 US ,Make sure you have a backup plan for a 30mm ep as i don't like your chances scoring one, Put a wanted ad in the classifieds
Old 21-10-2018, 01:20 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonBay View Post
As I am very new Astronomy I have been carefully purchasing what I believe is good equipment with the help of trusted people who are part of IIS group.

My first purchase was a Sharpstar CF triplet refractor. With this OTA I purchased Badder 8 to 24 zoom EP which I found to very difficult to us and plan to sell.

What's the problem with using the Baader zoom? Most people regard them highly.

As an alternative to the XW 30mm you might want to consider something like a 27mm Panoptic. They're much easier to find and cost a lot less.
Old 21-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post

As an alternative to the XW 30mm you might want to consider something like a 27mm Panoptic. They're much easier to find and cost a lot less.
or the APM 30mm UFF, better than the XW30.
Old 22-10-2018, 10:39 AM
WilliamPaolini

Maybe consider the TV 26T5 Nagler ... has about the same actual FOV. I heard from someone in the know that Pentax has decided to bring the 30XW and 40XW back into production again, as well as introducing 4” and 5” astrographs. They have not announced yet though.
Old 22-10-2018, 12:54 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Be interesting if Pentax does bring back any astrographs considering that former Pentax employees "took" the SDUF with them to Vixen and now Vixen makes the almost identical VSD-100 (and is still considering a 125mm version)

If they do remake basically the SDUF, one wonders what Vixen will think about it
Old 22-10-2018, 02:57 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamPaolini View Post
Maybe consider the TV 26T5 Nagler ... has about the same actual FOV. I heard from someone in the know that Pentax has decided to bring the 30XW and 40XW back into production again, as well as introducing 4” and 5” astrographs. They have not announced yet though.

Hope you are right about the 30 and 40mm XW's although i cannot see it myself unfortunately...
Old 26-10-2018, 07:21 PM
MortonBay (Jurgen)

Pentax XW30mm EP

Thank you all for the comments, I will take on board your suggestions as you have more experience in EP than I have.

Would be interesting if Pentax get back into ATO's and EP.

Regards
Jurgen
Old 12-01-2019, 01:30 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post

I have to agree

I have MANY 2" eyepieces and a few 1.25 all decent quality and bought the Baader for two reasons, well three in fact.

1. Allows me to keep a 72mm ED scope in the car for birding and astronomy with the convenience of just one eyepiece.

2. REVIEWS, all said how good it was.

3. Ease of use, whilst I personally prefer 2" eyepieces, I have found this an invaluable eyepiece, like everything it needs getting used to.