Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 25-05-2019, 10:27 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Computer games good and bad.

I see my daughter playing computer games and wonder aside from the problems do they help condition one for working thru problems on getting something to work on a computer.
The last week I notice I tried this and that on getting various stuff running and found myself approahing the problems like she does with a game trying various attacks to find a solution.

Any thoughts?
Alex
Old 25-05-2019, 01:16 PM
leon

I would like to answer you Alex with something constructive, but i have never played games on a computer, however see my 5 year old Granddaughter totally addicted to an I Pad.

The minute she walks in our door she asks"can I play the I Pad", the answer is always is no, and we suggest to her to go and do something different, she usually dose for 10 minutes and then tries again

Leon
Old 25-05-2019, 03:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Leon I rationalise it this way...I spend an extraordinary amount of time on the net so I cant say its good or bad for a child its been good for me but then I have had the advantage of going thru life with little knowledge really but with many practical experiences where say was apparent because as a child I would build things reflecting say the Saturday afternoon pictures which only cost six pence admission a rough equivalant to five cents today and you know the chips cost sixpence so the values have changed such that that could mean that today a bag of chips should be the price of admission to the movies which taday I expect would be at least twenty dollars which although not exact gives us enough to draw a parrallel which would mean as suggested chips should be an almost inafordable luxury so whats the weight I wonder thats the way to work it out and no doubt you can think that kids of today may miss those experiences but somehow we now have excptionally talented kids who learnt from the net to take something and being that thete is just excellent instruction from utube for example kids can excellent as they can see what the best do and learn thereby something that was a lot harder to access years ago.

Just thinking about the world and what computers phones etc have enabled...spins me out.

The stuff that is out there..wild boats machines how to make moonshine or grow macadamia nut trees and telescope stuff everything at your finger tips ...want to make a movie you can do it on a phone and publish it on the phone and receive revenue and spend such revenue but spending in the shop that is in your hand...my daughter I recon is expert with horses because of the net well maybe not but she knows a lot guess because all information is in your hand or tablet ...I like the tablets..I ended up with two so I am going to make a pouch for the two so I can have a two screen set up which would be so handy as I can read stuff which I image for example a screen just to make notes and drawing whilst watching tv and utube ...actually the more screens running the more information can be coming into my head and as zi am used to listing to many people talking at me all at once I should still learn what I want to learn and you would not waste time with load times as others would still be gathering information...maybe five ..you know by the time you sort thru a lot of things there is often not that much to remember but what is important is to know about it and heck there is so much to know about. ..like just insects or history or science or any of the things humans do or have done in the past early civilizations evolution religion even economics and military stuff weapons ... crazy stuff people build...any statistics on anything you want and a ariel photo of everything so you can travel anywhere on the surface or looking under the oceans and to see the clouds and what they are doing.
Actually what I realise is I do so much of this typing when I am doing or looking at other stuff...so I will be working need a break so have a look a early humans or look for a new car....but when rested I am back to doing something...I am taking a rest now feet up that sort of thing☺ but got so much done to deserve rather need this rest. Mmmm.I think something on the pyramids then largest model planes some moto cross Japanese speedway and then look for possible ancient city sites at the position of the mouths or harbours but at where that would be when the water levels came up four hundred feet and wiped out the Hobbits and Orchs and thats why the aliens stopped visiting and wondering what could be possible no matter how unlikely and not.

I do think they the kids embracing the net and the games etc seem to have expections of perfection because many games say Sims allows the creation of fashion styles, town lay put and seeking perfection is expensive in the real world and can hold you up if you need to get something done...I am the paint it green guy cause there is can of it in the garage and stuff the lack of colour coordinated decor its about preservation of a surface any paint will do if it stays on☺
I need to think more about the situation.
Alex
Old 25-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

1. There is now medical evidence that computer games are NOT harmful

2. depends on the person. MY son is autistic, as you know I am, to meet and speak with us you would not know, unlike someone blind or in a wheel chair our disability does not show.

My sons day is, daytime most days sleeping, his day is night time as with shift workers, he "games" all night with friends all over the world.

What my son does not know about the internet and computers is not worth knowing (I used to teach IT, I started and ran an IT charity for fifteen years so we are very IT literate).

We are looking at a new build gaming Pc for him later this year $8,000

It is his life, he has no car and his life is indoors.

Computing gives him many many many friends on the internet but MOST importantly for a person (he is 23) with Aspergers, autism, it is something he can and does do where no one can judge him.

Can you or anyone here live without a phone, what is the difference.

Ok this is my son, but what actual harm is it doing her, ACTUAL harm, is she stunted in any way, no, is she aggressive, I bet not, is she a happy person I bet she is

Old 25-05-2019, 07:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It amazes me the gaming tournament with an auditoriym full of kids watching two teams playing...seems intense which is ok my point being it surprises me when you look at the gaming world..I know little but appreciate the extent is way beyond most folks knowledge of the pursuit.
She plays skyrim and I would hate to meet her with a real sword the virtual heads she has lopped☺.
Have spent hours placing cables power points etc including the focuser and its cables. Until asiair does focus moter control I can still run iy via the lap top..its only job☺ but it seems to all work and a 10 mt usb cable to the lappy...anyways it is alomost finished...and then I pull iy all down and pack it ready to go it the car for reassembly up North☺.
Probably there will be problems first up but will be mostly testing and if I get images without too much testing I will be very happy.
Mmmm indoors during those fierce North Coast winters where you get a frost every five years☺...its cold to me..I should be able to lie in bed and run the lot if it all works.. might start settu g up controls for a dome lid or box motorised lid so I can pack up without getting out of bed...
To myself I call it "the Jeremy focuser" due to your inspiration.
Alex
Old 25-05-2019, 07:18 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

I concur with Jeremy. One of my sons plays on his high school esports team playing League of Legends in the Queensland high school league, and it has done wonders for his self esteem. They also train them for fitness, nutrition, teamwork and tactics, so it's a far cry from the stereotypical image of a gamer. Like most things, moderation is the key I guess.
Old 25-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
i concur with jeremy. One of my sons plays on his high school esports team playing league of legends in the queensland high school league, and it has done wonders for his self esteem. They also train them for fitness, nutrition, teamwork and tactics, so it's a far cry from the stereotypical image of a gamer. Like most things, moderation is the key i guess.
+1
Old 26-05-2019, 01:49 PM
leon

Well pointed out Jeremy, I suppose I am from the old school, and never saw or even dream,t of the technology of today's world.

These young people of today can certainly out do me with today's technology.

Leon