Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 13-07-2016, 10:05 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Question Freezer panel observatory problems?

Hi all,

I'm considering the use of insulated panels such as used for commercial freezer construction, for the main wall and roof cladding material for a new observatory. The product would be colourbond coated on the outside, 70mm thick insulated, coated on the inside.

One person insisted to me that structures constructed from this kind of material have condensation issues. In the context of an observatory that will have some ventilation as compared to a freezer scenario, this doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone comment from personal experience on whether an observatory made from freezer panels is a good idea?

Regards,
Roger.
Old 13-07-2016, 10:38 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Hi all,

I'm considering the use of insulated panels such as used for commercial freezer construction, for the main wall and roof cladding material for a new observatory. The product would be colourbond coated on the outside, 70mm thick insulated, coated on the inside.

One person insisted to me that structures constructed from this kind of material have condensation issues. In the context of an observatory that will have some ventilation as compared to a freezer scenario, this doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone comment from personal experience on whether an observatory made from freezer panels is a good idea?

Regards,
Roger.
Hi Roger,I have made a roll of box for my 16" Dob, it is made of freezer cold room material.
it is a sandwich of polystyrene between two sheets of metal.
It is 50mm thick.
2 meters long x 1.4meters high.
I have had no sign of any moisture in it at all in the 14 months since I built it.
It is usually 5-10° cooler inside than out on a hot Queensland summers day
I would say to the doubters build one and see.
There is now skirting on all four sides but with the very small gap for clearance
this also acts as ventilation.
I also have my garden shed roll off roof observatory with insulation of polystyrene
and no moisture in there either,you just need some ventilation whatever observatory you have.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (roll off box.jpg)
136.7 KB215 views

Last edited by astroron; 13-07-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 14-07-2016, 05:08 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Dew forms on the walls at night when it's open, buts its dry during the day. Haven't noticed any condensation during wet weather, but as it is 200km away, I don't tend to go there if it's inclement weather.

DT
Old 10-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Goschencat (Rex)
Time Traveller

Hi Roger,
I’m looking at a very similar idea for my Obs.

I think I’ll go with 50mm panel but 70mm is an option.

My idea is to basically make a box esky 1800mm x 1800mm x 1800mm high.
The top 600mm of the walls will be attached to the roll off roof, which would give me a wall height of 1200mm when open.

This causes a bit of a problem with what to do with the front wall (which will face South) as the top part of that wall can’t move with the roof or it will hit the scope inside. Plus this same front wall is where the door will be.
So I’m still working on what to do about that.

I think the wall split will give me enough ventilation but fitting additional vents is a pretty simple matter if necessary.

I look forward to more updates on your project.
Good luck
Rex.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:11 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Rex mine has been operating or two years now.

While there is condensation that forms overnight very easily on the outside of the observatory I haven’t had any problem because of the panels with respect to dew. I’m sure some must form on the inside but it dries off quickly enough.

My observatory is quite a bit larger so has more air generally inside. It’s about 8m x 11m.

The only auction I would mention with your plan is if you house heat generating equipment inside the observatory and the insulation keeps that heat in. Computers and associated equipment can generate a surprising amount of heat when in a well insulated box and so that heat can actually get trapped and cause more problems than the heat that the insulation is keeping out of the observatory More applicable for small spaces.

Regards,
Roger.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:02 PM
Pepper (Steve)

Mate for what it’s worth I have a giant enclosed trailer made of thin aluminium backed plastic stuff. Can’t remember what it’s called but very similar to freezer panel but thinner.
It condensates inside like a mongrel. Personally I wouldn’t use it because of this reason.
Things may improve if it had styrofoam or something on the inside.
For this reason I’ll be buying a 10ft insulated shipping container for a couple of grand it may come in around the same cost as buying all the fridge panel and fixings.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:27 PM
Wavytone

There’s another solution.

There are companies that manufacture “site sheds” for construction companies - to your design - using walls consisting of a sandwich of 50mm polystyrene between two thin aluminium skins.

They can make these with a door and or windows where desired and they include channels for wiring pre-set in the plastic, a light, switch and a power point or two included; all you need then is to connect it to whatever power you have - 12VDC being the easiest as you won’t need a sparky for that.

I’ve used these to house industrial instrumentation requiring precise temp control inside in remote locations and I can say the thermal performance was excellent particularly if the exterior colour was white. Interior temps were very stable and no condensation inside.

Can be made in quite small sizes suitable for an obs the size of a 6 x 4 trailer or garden shed - I have also seen these on trailers as enclosures for portable toilets.

Only thing to note is that all metal sheds conduct electricity extremely well so think about the risks of short circuits (fire - with 12VDC batteries) or electric shock (240VAC).

Sure one of these will cost a tad more than a Bunnings garden shed but less than the gear inside.

Also you could consider an unusual design eg one with low walls to take a roof that opens like a clamshell.

Last edited by Wavytone; 11-01-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 24-04-2020, 03:46 PM
Swagman105 (Geoff)
swagman105

Hi Roger and all contributors to this thread. I am also planning to build a roll off observatory using coolroom type sandwich panels.
The previous owners of our property had a coolroom built to house their tropical fish and I just use it now for storage of my alco and astro stuff. I am impressed with how it handles the brutal temperatures in central Vic (from 45+ in summer to minuses in winter). Admittedly it is not an overly humid climate but have never noticed any condensation in the coolroom even at times when the underside of our steel verandah roof is dripping with winter condensation.
I suppose the discussion would not be complete without input from people with observatories made of other materials eg brick, concrete block, wood, or even commercial fibreglass domes about common problems, so would welcome input from the wider group of observatory owners.
Old 25-04-2020, 07:53 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Roger
I'm going to build another one here in Victoria but out or Render Panel. I've been using this product to clad houses for years now and also built my beach property split roof obs out of it. It's a bit small but it does the job but my new one will be a lot bigger. A lot cheaper but it needs rendering on the outside.
Just a different take.
Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20160925_142226_01.jpg)
175.6 KB132 views
Click for full-size image (20170129_102922_01 (1).jpg)
146.4 KB142 views
Click for full-size image (20170129_103034_01 (1).jpg)
181.0 KB144 views
Click for full-size image (20170129_102800_01.jpg)
185.3 KB123 views
Click for full-size image (20160925_142440_01 (1).jpg)
176.1 KB126 views
Old 25-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Rex,
I had a cut-out in the ROR to accommodate the door frame...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Obs_wind02.jpg)
57.8 KB121 views