Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 08-11-2020, 06:09 AM
gregbradley

Anyone using the Skywatcher AZ GTI mount?

I was thinking this mount might be a good setup for a lightweight grab and go setup and also do double duty for digital camera/lens widefield shots.

Is its tracking good enough to do say 2 minutes with a 135mm lens?

Greg.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:24 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

I use one, Greg. I think at 135 a 2min unguided sub would be alright That's with the EQ add-ons, of course and assuming excellent polar alignment. You can guide with them too, and in that case you can go as long as you like. I love the mount, I use it at its 5kg limit often in alt az mode and it's GOTO is bang on. The whole thing, including EQ gear and counterweight, fits in a Sistema lunch box.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:18 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
I use one, Greg. I think at 135 a 2min unguided sub would be alright That's with the EQ add-ons, of course and assuming excellent polar alignment. You can guide with them too, and in that case you can go as long as you like. I love the mount, I use it at its 5kg limit often in alt az mode and it's GOTO is bang on. The whole thing, including EQ gear and counterweight, fits in a Sistema lunch box.
Thanks JP.

I was also thinking of it as a platform for a Redcat 51 and a mirrorless camera.

Greg.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:28 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I was thinking this mount might be a good setup for a lightweight grab and go setup and also do double duty for digital camera/lens widefield shots.

Is its tracking good enough to do say 2 minutes with a 135mm lens?

Greg.
Greg, I had one, with the EQ wedge, and used it on several occasions, however, it was early after release and frankly it did not perform well in the Southern Hemisphere at that time. Alignment was an issue, and I quickly got frustrated. Since I already had a perfectly aligned observatory mount it was just a toy to me. So if you have a good mount, I would stick with that.