Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

TSA-102 question re imaging

I broke down and ordered a TSA-102N today through Claude (may yet settle for an S which is in stock, but not a fan of sliding dew shields).

For imaging, I intend acquiring the flattener of course, but then I cannot use the reducer at the same time. Does the Tak reducer have ANY flattening effect at all? Or - stupid question - can the flattener and reducer be used in concert together? (that was the blonde ditz question/statement )

Failing that, what do other imagers use for flattening/reducing these? Another brand like TV or AP reducer/flateners?

May need to sell one of the other Taks to "help out", but that's all part and parcel of this hobby, unless we fall into a truck of cash
Old 01-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Allan

Nice pick up Lewis, you sure like your Taks. Am looking forward to your impressions of this one. But what's not to like about sliding dew shields?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Hi Lewis,

I looked into this when I was thinking of the TSA102 vs the TSA120.

The TOA130R reducer is actually a reducer & flattener so that is the component you want.

This plugs into the optical path before all the other adaptors so it can actually be used with all the other accessories both visual and photographic :-)

Cheers
Phil
Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Paul Haese

Lewis, the scope can use either to flatten the field. Be mindful of the back focus on the flattener. Though it is not screw threaded and therefore not really suitable to astrophotography. The reducer is screw threaded.

I have an S model and there is not problem with the dew shield sliding. It locks down nicely and makes it easier to transport too.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 PM
gregbradley

Also what is relevant is what size sensor you planning on using. A KAF8300 is not very demanding but a full frame 11002 is and 16803 even more.

I don't have direct knowledge of the Tak reducers/flatteners but basically no they don't stack on top of each other. They each have their metal back distances and are designed like other manufacturers as stand alone items.

I use a Tak 4 inch flattener on both my TEC180 and AP140 and it works beautifully whereas a 4 inch reducer and 16803 chip gave 3/4 of the field good stars and some distortions in the corners. The AP 155TCC telecompressor gives .7X reduction as well as flattening but that is a pricey unit and has a tolerance of +/- 1mm for spacing. Tak has high end reducers as well for the TOA scopes. The little 35mm one is pretty ordinary but no doubt works well for small sensors but not full frame.

Generally speaking full frame or above size sensors need a large 3.5 to 4 inch focuser and a 2.7 inch may not do it. I was unable to get a FS152 with a 2.7 inch focuser to run an STL11 with anything. Swapping out to a 4 inch focuser and 4 inch accessories worked though.

The AP155 TCC is adaptable to other scopes in my case a TEC180 (yet to be tested but it came off a TEC160 and worked).

2.7 inch focusers seem to be able to handle up to APS sized sensors (1.6 X crop). Just a general comment and not specific to TSA 102.

Greg.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Thanks all round.

Greg, it is an 8300 chip, so not a big issue I guess.

Paul, just a personal preference re the dew shield. Since I don't move the scope out in the field (all from home), the length is not an issue.

Thanks Phil, but it seems the TOA and TSA reducer are the same - TKA31580 (or the S variable version as well) - what Tak number did youfind out. Just don't tell me it's one of the $1200+ reducers
Old 01-10-2014, 08:50 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Phil, ah, you mean the TOA-35 reducer... yup, a $1300 reducer...
Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Phil, ah, you mean the TOA-35 reducer... yup, a $1300 reducer...
Yes :-)

The price is unfortunate :-(

But it is also a flattener that can be used in-line for both visual and AP with all the other Tak accessories so might provide some flexibility and one less item in the path