Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

A Lid With A View

I am going to have the local engineer make up a dew-cap for me and have it painted appropriately so it all looks pretty. I will post the results so you can have a chuckle at my bodgy dew-cap afterwards.
When he does this I will get him to make a nice aluminium lid for the scope that uses the same locking system I will use for the dew-cap, butI want this lid to have a small aperture hole (with it's own cap of course) for lunar and solar viewing and I an chewing over the following;
The scope is a 6" MakCass and I wonder whether it is better to have the smaller opening central or offset.
If I have it central the secondary mirror will then be a much larger occlussion and I am wondering how this will effect the view? Increased contrast, or less? Any other problems I need to know about with this arrangement?
Alternatively I could put it off-centre between the secondary and the edge of the primary field like a Dob does on it's cap. However I am thinking the corrector-plate would effect the image quality doing it this way, and like a refractor, it would be an unworkable solution.
Your help and comments would be appreciated before I go of and throwmy money at a failure.

Trevor