ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM
trickybilly

What did I see? Bolide?

Illustration: http://i.imgur.com/ip2m1Yu.jpg

Yesterday, around 0:40,in Serbia, I was out stargazing, then noticed a yellow "shooting star" around Auriga as depicted. It was more like a fireball with length and WIDTH (compared to the average shooting star which has more length and not much width). It was yellow and very bright, especially for my dark adapted eyes. First thought: shooting star. Some seconds later I saw a blinking dot (plane?), blinking about 1x/sec very near to that place as depicted. So I was thinking maybe it wasn't a "shooting star" but some sort of signal for the plane? It did not look like those flares you can see in military movies and video games and did not come from down earth and falling back - it was falling from above in shape resembling a shooting star. No sound of explosion, etc was heard. I copied the bolide image from Wikipedia over a Stellarium screenshot, but that's exactly how it looked like whatever it was. What did I see?

Last edited by trickybilly; 01-10-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 AM
trickybilly

I have contacted the local astronomy community, the same sightning was also observed and confirmed by an astronomer on duty, so I am really happy. I reported the sightning to FIDAC You can now close the thread if you wish.