Old 19-10-2019, 09:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

NGC 292 Small Magellanic Cloud

Captured a major part of the Small Magellanic Cloud for the first time last night under a 80% waning moon
Didn’t realise how many small star clusters and bright stars are spread throughout this huge cloud of stars

32 x 90sec dithered guided subs
15 x darks
Canon 600D with Baader coma corrector ( no filters )
Home made cooling fan kept the Canon sensor temperature down to 21 degrees
ISO 800
6” f6 Bintel newt on a HEQ5 mount
PHD2 guiding around 1.50 arc sec error
Stacked in DSS
Processed in Startools

Thanks for looking , comments welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (29587810-793D-4061-8B66-F0A5A8A85A29.jpg)
211.4 KB104 views
Old 20-10-2019, 12:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Good work but you may find a shorter FL or mosaic will be even more satisfying.
Alex
Old 20-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Alex
Yes I know it’s a target for a refractor not a 6” newt but had a bit of fun imaging it and seeing how it would process out
Maybe I should buy an 80mm refractor at some stage in the future to capture some wide field
Cheers
Old 20-10-2019, 05:07 PM
astrochix (Sharon)

Love it!
Old 21-10-2019, 12:59 AM
raymo

If you already have them, lenses between 50 and 100mm will do a fine job;
save you fairly big bucks for an ED 80mm, and much faster than a scope.
raymo
Old 21-10-2019, 10:33 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I have enjoyed seeing your images that are posted regularly, a lot of good stuff among them. As it so happens I was imaging the SMC on Friday night with the 450D and a 40 year old 135mm Tamron. So to give you an idea of what Raymo is talking about with fields of view etc. Could probably gone to 200mm and still fitted in the field I was after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20191018 SMC.jpg -3.jpg)
198.0 KB30 views
Old 21-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I should add some details I suppose, 50 mins. of a mix of 60, 90 & 120 sec. exposures @ 1600 iso from an semi rural site.
Old 21-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Jeff
It’s probably on the cards when I’m in my 70’s to use a small refractor on my HEQ5 , I’m nearly 60 now and can handle the 6” and 8” newts with the HEQ5 and EQ6-R mounts with relative ease
Downsizing will be a part of older age for most of us in the hobby
Old 21-10-2019, 05:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Heck Martin I am 73 next Janurary and still can manage the eq6 and the eight inch and I can barely walk ..it's all about attitude... too many use old age or minor issues like having trouble walking as an excuse to sit around drinking beer and watching tv.
I have found the only issue I have to deal with is laziness that creeps up on you because you can make wimpy excuses like you cant lift something or you can't walk...since I stopped feeling sorry for myself and just started doing a little work then resting a little more work rest..I started getting stuff done... it's good to ha e tools like endless chains a d something like a turffer to multiply your strength and a little patience so you don't get annoyed at things taking longer...I talk to my legs and tell them if they think they can play up go ahead but the job is going to get done...
Anyways I think even a fifty mm will work on SMC..I am sure I have had a go with a fifty.
Alex
Old 21-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

So so true Alex and I admire your positive attitude, but in “some cases” the mind and will is extremely strong but the body simply can’t mechanically or physically perform the task ahead ( unfortunately a hard fact of life for some ) Sometimes help or assistance is not at hand , so one has no choice but to come to terms with reality
I’ll keep doing the hobby as long as I can until I physically cannot do it any longer or my eyes quit , which ever comes first
Again thanks for your words of wisdom Alex
Martin
Old 22-10-2019, 12:02 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

This thread has morphed a bit but to add to what Alex has said. I'm 69 and 75kg " wringing wet " and can still reasonably comfortably lift an EQ6 head onto the tripod. Using correct lifting techniques, taught to me as part of my apprenticeship training many years ago, helps immensely. Getting the 10" , 16kg newt on the mount is also doable, solo, though it really is a bit more than the mount can handle, have used it to do some planetary imaging with moderate success.
So, don't write yourself off too quickly, looking after your diet and getting at least a moderate amount of exercise and a positive attitude is the recipe for a longer active astronomical life. Heck, I'm looking forward to the 2028 Total Solar Eclipse and will be really p'd off if I don't get to see it.
Old 23-10-2019, 01:16 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I agree with Alex, Martin this might be a chance to practice doing a mosaic. Nice star colour as always.