Old 09-08-2018, 01:34 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Tak scope collimating RC6

Hi all,

Took the RC6 i purchased second hand to bintel and paid to have it serviced and they mentioned that the collimation was way off due to the travel it took to get to me and its age. They fixed it up (I didn't actually check it in store) but as soon as I got home the collimation was still way out (don't think a trip home would have affected it as much as it did).

I've tried to collimate it myself but can't get as close as I would like. Does anyone have a guide that I could work off that uses the Tak scope to get me relatively close?

Cheers.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:41 PM
benklerk

Hi Jacob

Using the Tak is best used for collimating the Primary mirror.

But first, do you have a tilt ring? If you don't its better to get one as it will square your focuser with the secondary mirror,

Do you have a good laser collimator? You need to use one to square your focuser and change your secondary mirror.

This is my method.

1) Align laser to center dot using the tilt ring
2) Align laser so the beam comes back on itself on the secondary.
3) Use Tak so all the circles in concentric. You need a bright touch to see them when using the Tak
4) Repeat steps until primary is aligned.

Every time you move the primary it moves the focuser.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by benklerk View Post
Hi Jacob

Using the Tak is best used for collimating the Primary mirror.

But first, do you have a tilt ring? If you don't its better to get one as it will square your focuser with the secondary mirror,

Do you have a good laser collimator? You need to use one to square your focuser and change your secondary mirror.

This is my method.

1) Align laser to center dot using the tilt ring
3) Use Tak so all the circles in concentric. You need a bright touch to see them when using the Tak

Every time you move the primary it moves the focuser.
I have everything except for the laser collimator. would something like this be good? https://www.bintel.com.au/product/or...-collimator-2/

As for the steps i have a few questions:

1) Align laser to center dot using the tilt ring - is this the centre dot on the mirror or the laser collimator you're talking about?
3) Use Tak so all the circles in concentric. You need a bright touch to see them when using the Tak - should this step (if the others are fine) only require adjustment to the primary?

thanks for the info
Old 10-08-2018, 03:56 PM
benklerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmitt94 View Post
I have everything except for the laser collimator. would something like this be good? https://www.bintel.com.au/product/or...-collimator-2/

As for the steps i have a few questions:

1) Align laser to center dot using the tilt ring - is this the centre dot on the mirror or the laser collimator you're talking about?
3) Use Tak so all the circles in concentric. You need a bright touch to see them when using the Tak - should this step (if the others are fine) only require adjustment to the primary?

thanks for the info
I have a Howie laser, so I don’t know how accurate the Orion laser is.

Yes it’s the center dot is on the mirror, you can see just by looking down on the primary. So when looking down the tube, you see both the reflection of the secondary and the center dot. There are a few YouTube videos you can watch which can explain more.

You only change the primary when needed, once it’s aligned you don’t really need to touch it again. You just need to adjust the tilt ring and secondary mirror only.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:37 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by benklerk View Post
I have a Howie laser, so I don’t know how accurate the Orion laser is.

Yes it’s the center dot is on the mirror, you can see just by looking down on the primary. So when looking down the tube, you see both the reflection of the secondary and the center dot. There are a few YouTube videos you can watch which can explain more.

You only change the primary when needed, once it’s aligned you don’t really need to touch it again. You just need to adjust the tilt ring and secondary mirror only.
Thanks for the info

Last edited by AstroBogan; 06-09-2018 at 08:52 AM.