Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 29-03-2020, 08:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
Damn, I thought seniors were > 65 years old...
Seniors are 75 plus.

Alex
Old 29-03-2020, 08:41 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
I think we will hear more and more about SIS - Self Isolated Senior.
Most of the corona virus deaths have been older/ senior people.
We've given up on all social travel but need to find a solution to the supermarket visits.....
Does your supermarket delivers online orders or do you have friends/neighbors who could deliver to your door? I've been doing groceries shopping fruit and vegge at our local retailer and they're closing monday but will continue taking online orders.
Old 30-03-2020, 12:12 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Seniors are 75 plus.

Alex
I was hoping it was something like that, I'm not ready to be a senior quite yet
Old 30-03-2020, 10:46 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well tomorrow I must go shopping for food else I will starve.

Online probably is not available being an hour out of town.

It will be interesting to see if going shopping removes the prospect of starvation.

Last shop in Sydney, no meat at all, no frozen vegs, canned vegs, or flour.

I regret leaving most of my food in Sydney but I really needed to check the batteries and make sure the fridge was working...it's not.

I can not understand why confinement has been selected as the best method of mitigation...the oil industry is in threat of colapse..check that out.

Why not masks so things can go on more or less as normal rather than letting businesses go bankrupt, folk lose their jobs, homes, cars etc...keep the vulnerable indoors and those who have jobs do them.

Really why not masks?
OK limited supply but a bank robber approach must help contain a cough or breath from a carrier. And their is evidence suggesting that will work.

The suicide rate will I suspect out strip the death rate from the virus..the suicide rate can be taken as a proportion of the total world population the virus death rate will not be adjusted on that number. Look at how loss of all you have worked for destroys the strongest of men..remember the suicide rate of farmers recently who just could accept their life's work was all gone.

We need to get back to going about business.

Think of the predictable increase in domestic violence, the increase in animal cruelty indeed human cruelty due to stress that will come from job losses, bankruptcy etc. Not to mention just not being able to leave the house.

And the rate seems to be lower than the media scares us with as it is expressed in relation to those tested not all those who may have managed it such that they don't get tested.

And no one is noticing but the oil industry is on its knees..if things continue transport will be next and of course food supply.

At some point we must go about our jobs, with masks, and deal with it else see starvation as a real prospect.

I hope everyone is well and please manage your fear better than I am doing with mine.
Alex
Old 30-03-2020, 11:19 AM
DarkArts

The ATO defines "Senior Australians" as those qualifying for the age pension (65) or a veteran pension (veteran + aged 60).

A "Seniors Card" is available for those not working and over 60.

The Parliament of Australia doesn't define "senior"; it defines "elderly" or "aged" as over 65 but mentions that aged concessions can apply to those over 60 or even 55 in special circumstances.

Personally, I would have said a "senior" is aged 65 or over.

However, to date, there are no known cases of coronavirus consulting with the ATO, Parliament or any other statutory authority prior to or during infection.
Old 30-03-2020, 05:23 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Alex,
Times are tough for all seniors. We are in self isolation and it’s not easy.
Yes, local supermarkets are pretty empty and home delivery options diminish daily.
Unfortunately everyone going back to work waring mask will not stop the spread of the virus or the associated deaths.
Hang in there....
Old 30-03-2020, 05:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Alex,
Times are tough for all seniors. We are in self isolation and it’s not easy.
Yes, local supermarkets are pretty empty and home delivery options diminish daily.
Unfortunately everyone going back to work waring mask will not stop the spread of the virus or the associated deaths.
Hang in there....
Thanks for the encouragement. I have been locked up since Dads funeral, weeks where I could not get motivated a d I finally start to get over it a little ready to visit etc but then the virus..the first day I go out to visit my mate over Top Ryde and I get home to hear the virus is at Maquarie just across the road and he had been there an hour before I arrived..then Epping Boys high scare..heck there would be kids in my street who go there..that put the wind up me.
Shares were steady today which I hope translates into the fear easing..the fear worries me...it's irrational ..look at the hoarding blitz.
Anyways I hope I can buy food tomorrow or I will be in stuff situation.
I have a ten klg bag of rice between me and starvation. Tomorrow will tell.
But I am really concerned.
Alex
Old 30-03-2020, 09:22 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
On this, you might be able to contact the online supermarkets like woolies, etc to get special consideration for delivery if your area has been cut off for the general public.

I had to do that for us as my wife is immune compromised, so I have to really be careful with any outings. Submitted the appropriate form to Woolies and now we have access again.
Old 31-03-2020, 02:17 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Yeah, we did that....still reduced availability on lots of items.
Old 31-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

just got our first food delivery from Woolworths (needed senior's card to qualify).

The website was clear and a limited quantity of basic stuff was available - quite enough to live well on. delivered from 60km away....overall, impressed.

Cheers Ray

Last edited by Shiraz; 31-03-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 31-03-2020, 03:27 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

We made another (limited) Woolies order today (as SIS) and the EARLIEST they can deliver is Sunday evening!!!!
Old 31-03-2020, 10:08 PM
DarkArts

Quote:
Yeah, we did that....still reduced availability on lots of items.
It's getting a bit ridiculous. Clearly a lot of people are still panic buying.
Old 31-03-2020, 11:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I went to Lismore today, did a normal shop, I had 4 long life one liter milks and they would only let me buy two.
Got everything I needed.
But in the shopping center they had removed ever single seat..not one seat anywhere which for me was bad news..I need to sit down often...in the end I knocked over a shopping trolley and sat on that.
But I now feel a lot better as the stocks were normal..except for toilet paper..nil..sugar was down to one packet but I did not need sugar so I left it for someone else.
Alex
Old 01-04-2020, 11:06 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

SIS -Option A or B ?????

https://www.facebook.com/1085521644/...2750280960716/

A must see Classic!!!!