Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2014, 04:11 PM
louie_the_fly (Stew)
Astronewbie

What type of case do you store your scope in?

I have a plastic molded case that I keep my C8 in. Bought it from Supercheap a year or so ago. Since I deforked my scope the case is way too big now, so I'm looking to downsize the case. I'd be interested in what other people use (for similar scopes) and where they bought it. I considered making a wooden case, but I don't have the time or inclination to do that any more. Plus, Mrs Fly said just buy one. Wish she'd say that about the new Porsche I want.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Stick to plastic cases. Those Pelican knock-offs come in all sizes – from Bunnings, JayCar, Supercheap,...

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:47 AM
glend (Glen)

Now this is an interesting topic because (other than for transport) i'd rather not have the scope in a case. For example, if you have been out recently there is a good chance your scope is covered in dew - you can't put a dew covered scope into a case, no matter how much desicant you throw in there as well. A case seems like a breed gound for mold.

I keep my scopes sitting on the original foam supports (after drying them). When I take them out to a dark site they tend to be rolled in bubble wrap and secured inside my vehicle, but the long refractor has to go in the camper (also wrapped and rolled and secured). I find that any reflector require more care in transport than a refractor, simply due to the mirror shifting on its springs (even with the lock knobs done up tight). The bigger the reflector the worse the problem. I did buld a plywood transport box for my old 12" dob but the combned weight was too much for me.

So isn't it better that they can 'breathe' for the lack of better term, and are secure in transport, rather than encased in a heavy case?
Old 11-08-2014, 09:53 AM
casstony

If a telescope is stored for long periods in a closed case a rechargeable dessicant pack should be placed in the case with the scope to avoid mould. I prefer to leave scopes ventilated and covered with a cloth in a dry environment, though if you're in the tropics without air-con then a sealed case with dessicant would be preferable.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:31 AM
rally

Glen,

Two different issues really !
One is safe transportation and storage and the other is care an maintenance.

The scope needs to be dried off of course and not stored in a wet condition, but certainly should be capable of being protected - whether its wet or dry

Simply open the case when you get home and dry everything off (case, accessories and OTA) then store safely (per Tony) when dry.

I have Pelican cases for mine.

Cheers Rally
Old 11-08-2014, 02:03 PM
acropolite (Phil)

+1 for Bunnings cases, like Rally, I always unpack and make sure the OTA is thoroughly dry once I get home.
Old 13-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

My C8 came with it's own trunk for storing it in and transporting.

I though it was too big and overkill and instead used a gym bag lined along its sides with foam I bought at Clark rubber. One big piece of foam goes from one side to the other side (i.e. also forming the base) and two pieces are at each end.

I've had no issues, but concede that the bag and telescope wouldn't survive a minor accident if some one runs into my boot.
Regards,
Renato
Old 15-08-2014, 04:28 PM
eddiedunlop (Martin)

Have a look at http://www.casesandcovers.com/
Old 24-08-2014, 05:42 PM
louie_the_fly (Stew)
Astronewbie

Thanks all. Still haven't decided. We'll have a spare room which opens straight out to the back yard so I might just leave it set up in there and take it outside as required.
Old 27-08-2014, 05:09 PM
DavidLJ (David)

I don't know the exact size of your C8 but I'm guessing that it can't be too different from my Vixen 8” f/4 Newt. Maybe the attached images may help showing the Pellican box from Bunnings. The original polystyrene packing pieces hold the tube in nice and snug. The foam inserts in the lid are cut down sections of camping floor squares.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2 R200SS Storage components small.jpg)
97.9 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (2 R200SS Storage box small.jpg)
88.2 KB28 views
Old 27-08-2014, 06:07 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLJ View Post
I don't know the exact size of your C8 but I'm guessing that it can't be too different from my Vixen 8” f/4 Newt. Maybe the attached images may help showing the Pellican box from Bunnings. The original polystyrene packing pieces hold the tube in nice and snug. The foam inserts in the lid are cut down sections of camping floor squares.
Hi,

That looks good. I'll investigate (arrrr, I'm on the case), although a C8 seems shorter.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Brycepj (Peter)

Interesting topic.
Here is what I do not sure it it's right so please tell me.
My 10" dob sits in the right hand corner of an "open" garage. ( back and front closed 50% of the sides are open) I sewed a cover for it from a throw blanket with elastic in one end so it slides over the entire scope protecting it from dust and moisture.To move the scope as it weighs 36kg, I purchased a 200kg dolly for $50 so when I want to use the scope I just wheel it out remove it from the dolly, plug in power sources quick colmination check and your star grazing. No need to wait for it to cool as it is already at the right temp. For transport I kept all the hard foam shapes from the original packaging so it fit snug across the back seat of my commodore with all the seat belts connected. I'm extra carefully especially when there is a heavy dew. Once dew is detected I give my self an hour at most then away it goes. From past experience with metal outside any moisture attracts rust so I don't push the limits rather play safe,to much time and money invested to risk it. Eye pieces are in a vacuum sealable case that has pinch foam for protection. To put it in a case would make the whole set up to heavy and longer to set up which waste valuable seeing time especially on week nights.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM
doppler (Rick)

I put a $12 kmart sleeping bag over my 10" dob. Covers it nicely, tube and base.