Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-02-2019, 05:00 PM
gregbradley

Anyone using the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro?

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/sk...v=6cc98ba2045f

I am wondering how this mount performs. I am looking to setup a 2nd more lightweight rig to use a 300mm F4 lens or perhaps a small refractor and full frame mirrorless cameras.

So far I have looked at Skywatcher Star Adventurere but it seems not good enough for 5 minute exposures at 300mm.

Looked at Fornax LighTrack ii it seems good although again not sure if it can handle a 300mm lens and get round stars at 5 minutes.

Looking also at high end Japanese mini mounts like Unitec Swat 350 and Toast TP-2 Pro. These are small like a Polarie but high end and low PE like a PMX. Again not 100% confident of round stars at 5 minutes but it may come down to the tripod and attachment accessories. Also they are expensive like $1500 to $2,000 + for a setup. But they are small, light , portable and high-tech.

Greg.
Old 25-02-2019, 05:53 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Greg,
Not sure it helps you but I’ve been using the HEQ5 for over ten years as my “portable” mount for solar imaging.
If properly aligned it can keep the sun in the FOV ( ASI174 on a ED80) for as long as you want. I know this does answer the tracking accuracy but for my work it works very well.
Ken
Old 25-02-2019, 06:55 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Greg,
Not sure it helps you but I’ve been using the HEQ5 for over ten years as my “portable” mount for solar imaging.
If properly aligned it can keep the sun in the FOV ( ASI174 on a ED80) for as long as you want. I know this does answer the tracking accuracy but for my work it works very well.
Ken
Thanks Ken.

Is yours unmodified? There is a Rawson Astronomy belt mod that swaps out spur gears for belts and is supposed to make an improvement. I imagine that is more important for deep sky imaging and 10 minute round star subexposures.

Greg.
Old 25-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Yes, just the basic mount “as supplied”
I assume you just want to use tracking rather than guiding?
Old 25-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Thanks Ken.

Is yours unmodified? There is a Rawson Astronomy belt mod that swaps out spur gears for belts and is supposed to make an improvement. I imagine that is more important for deep sky imaging and 10 minute round star subexposures.

Greg.
Rowen mod

http://www.rowanastronomy.com/productsa1.htm
Old 25-02-2019, 10:33 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Greg,
Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Thanks. I should've looked up his name again before I posted.

Greg.
Old 25-02-2019, 10:34 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Yes, just the basic mount “as supplied”
I assume you just want to use tracking rather than guiding?
No guiding as well. Perhaps not initially if the tracking is good enough, if not then its PEC and autoguiding.

The advantage of a GEM also is I use Tpoint and its super accurate polar alignment tool. It can get the PA almost perfect in 20 minutes.

Greg.
Old 25-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve been imaging with my 6” newt and HEQ5 Pro for over a year and use EQMOD with Stellarium as my goto and tracking which is extremely good ( not as good using the Synscan handcontroller )
Also guide with PHD2 generally around 1arc sec or below if seeing permits
It’s a great mount no issues so far
My payload is around is around 9.5kg and it’s max payload is 14kg from memory
Cheers
Old 25-02-2019, 11:21 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I’ve been imaging with my 6” newt and HEQ5 Pro for over a year and use EQMOD with Stellarium as my goto and tracking which is extremely good ( not as good using the Synscan handcontroller )
Also guide with PHD2 generally around 1arc sec or below if seeing permits
It’s a great mount no issues so far
My payload is around is around 9.5kg and it’s max payload is 14kg from memory
Cheers
That's good to know, thanks.

What exposure length and focal length are you still getting round stars at?

I use 10 minute subexposures most often.

Greg.
Old 25-02-2019, 11:36 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Hi Greg

I regularly run my FSQ/QHY9 rig on a HEQ5Pro. Guided using OAG and very happy. For dark sky trips prefer to use this mount over EQ6 - lighter to pack and performance at least as good.
The Tak deserves a nicer mount and camera, but my lotto tickets haven't been successful lately.

The chinese mounts are likely to be more variable in QA than you're used to with high end mounts. Perhaps arrange trial/return if you buy?

The newer AZ-EQ5 and AZ-EQ6 belt driven mounts are supposed to be very good. No experience with them myself. EQ6-R in same class if looking at EQ6 size.

Some past images of this combination here:
https://goo.gl/photos/d9wEjmDRM89dE8nD7

Would be very surprised if the HEQ5Pro couldn't handle a large lens rig.
Old 26-02-2019, 12:01 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Thanks. I should've looked up his name again before I posted.

Greg.
Just showing you the website for information about the belts
Old 26-02-2019, 07:31 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Just showing you the website for information about the belts
Great, thanks Jeremy.

Greg
Old 26-02-2019, 08:52 AM
Startrek (Martin)

My focal length is 900m
Still get round stars at 3min to 5min exp
Never tried 10min
Old 26-02-2019, 09:04 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
My focal length is 900m
Still get round stars at 3min to 5min exp
Never tried 10min
Thanks Martin.

Do you find it quite portable and light? I suppose it still needs a 12v source and a laptop. Do you know if they can be controlled from an iPhone?

Greg.
Old 26-02-2019, 09:54 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I can carry mine in and out of the house ( obviously without OTA ) and I’m nearly 60 and weigh 70kgs. I wouldn’t say it’s a super lightweight mount but its portable enough for me to move.
My laptop sits in a purpose built tub sitting sideways on an adjustable laptop table 3m away from the mount and is cabled via a pvc flat duct on the ground with both 12v dc power for mount and dew heaters , USB cables and camera cable etc I use the power point in my pool filter enclosure ( adjacent to my laptop ) to power the 12v powertech supply. I have an old adjustable drum kit stool I use sit at the laptop and run my sessions
You could set it up with wifi with the right wifi adapters , software etc but I haven’t gone down that path yet , I’m a bit old school , good ol reliable cable connections
Photo attached
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (5D2425C3-59A2-46B3-954E-1E16D44BC633.jpeg)
76.6 KB58 views
Old 26-02-2019, 11:32 AM
JA

Quote:
Thanks Martin.

Do you find it quite portable and light? I suppose it still needs a 12v source and a laptop. Do you know if they can be controlled from an iPhone?

Greg.
Hi G,

There is a wifi adapter that you can use, presumably for the HEQ5 Pro, shown in the video operating an EQ6 and another mount. Ask the vendor to confirm 100%, but I'm reasonably sure it is compatible. 3rd video (V. Long)

Best
JA

See one/both of these video clips....

Last edited by JA; 26-02-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 26-02-2019, 12:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Greg
I have an old but decent eq6 but with my leg issues it was just a bit too much to handle (although maybe not so much now happily).

So I wanted a transportable set up to take North.
And so I purchased a HEQ5 and a espirt 80mm refractor.
Firstly when I get polar alignment perfect it can manage long exposures teasonably well..I have still yet to train it I just keep forgeting...only gear drive but so far it has not been an issue.

Later I noticed folk were putting what I considered huge loads on their HEQ5 mounts so I decided to try my 8 inch f5 reflector and so far all I can say it manages it much much better than I would have expected...So far I have not pulled this mount down for a tidy up..maybe paint chips..things that should not be there but are there..in other words I think it can be made even better.
Folk complain the legs are bot too good but really they are not bad at all. ..I do find the adjustment during polar alignment could be nicer with something better to grab..but thats not the end of the world.
I still use the box it came in for transport (cut in half with bailing twine to keep it closed☺) although the box for the legs got wet and needs a fix☺

For the money I think they are a great mount and I bet with a blue print and maybe a belt drive would be hard to beat.

Bottom line I am sure it will do all you want and you can even get away with something quiet big on it in a pinch.

There was a cover that did not seat properly but that was the only thing wrong and I have not botheted about it...although ot really should be fixed.

Good luck
Alex
Old 26-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Greg
I forgot to mention I have only one criticism with my HEQ5 pro mount and that is the AZ ALT adjusting bolts.The bolts have offset pivoted metal tabs to use your thumb and forefinger and are damn awkward to use.For an extra $5 Synta ( Skywatcher ) should opt for fluted black pvc knobs which would make life a bit easier when carrying out your PA
Other than that it’s a great mount for the money
Cheers
Old 26-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Don't know about iPhones....

If find the HEQ5pro has a working capacity of more like 10Kg

I used CdC, EQmod Firecapture (for the electronic finder - gives a jpg for plate solving), AA7,and PHD2 for guiding. Now use that set up on the NEQ6pro in the observatory.
Old 26-02-2019, 05:20 PM
gregbradley

[QUOTE=JA;1418355]Hi G,

There is a wifi adapter that you can use, presumably for the HEQ5 Pro, shown in the video operating an EQ6 and another mount. Ask the vendor to confirm 100%, but I'm reasonably sure it is compatible. 3rd video (V. Long)

Best
JA

Thanks JA. There's even an ad for it on the right hand side of this site.

Yes per the ad it is available on any mount that uses the Synscan hand controller. Looks to be an interesting accessory.

Quote:
I can carry mine in and out of the house ( obviously without OTA ) and I’m nearly 60 and weigh 70kgs. I wouldn’t say it’s a super lightweight mount but its portable enough for me to move.
My laptop sits in a purpose built tub sitting sideways on an adjustable laptop table 3m away from the mount and is cabled via a pvc flat duct on the ground with both 12v dc power for mount and dew heaters , USB cables and camera cable etc I use the power point in my pool filter enclosure ( adjacent to my laptop ) to power the 12v powertech supply. I have an old adjustable drum kit stool I use sit at the laptop and run my sessions
You could set it up with wifi with the right wifi adapters , software etc but I haven’t gone down that path yet , I’m a bit old school , good ol reliable cable connections
Photo attached
Cheers
I went to Bintel today and had a look at one. Its beefy. It had what looked like an 80 or 100mm refractor on top of it but it was quite beefy to pick up.

I think for what I want to do it makes a lot of sense and is actually cheaper than some of these DLSR tracker mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hi Greg
I have an old but decent eq6 but with my leg issues it was just a bit too much to handle (although maybe not so much now happily).

So I wanted a transportable set up to take North.
And so I purchased a HEQ5 and a espirt 80mm refractor.
Firstly when I get polar alignment perfect it can manage long exposures teasonably well..I have still yet to train it I just keep forgeting...only gear drive but so far it has not been an issue.

Later I noticed folk were putting what I considered huge loads on their HEQ5 mounts so I decided to try my 8 inch f5 reflector and so far all I can say it manages it much much better than I would have expected...So far I have not pulled this mount down for a tidy up..maybe paint chips..things that should not be there but are there..in other words I think it can be made even better.
Folk complain the legs are bot too good but really they are not bad at all. ..I do find the adjustment during polar alignment could be nicer with something better to grab..but thats not the end of the world.
I still use the box it came in for transport (cut in half with bailing twine to keep it closed☺) although the box for the legs got wet and needs a fix☺

For the money I think they are a great mount and I bet with a blue print and maybe a belt drive would be hard to beat.

Bottom line I am sure it will do all you want and you can even get away with something quiet big on it in a pinch.

There was a cover that did not seat properly but that was the only thing wrong and I have not botheted about it...although ot really should be fixed.

Good luck
Alex
It does seem amazing value. About 15 years ago I bought a Vixen Sphinx for AUD$2650 and it was junk. So less than half that price and it autoguides and does goto is wifi compatible, does PEC.

Quote:
Don't know about iPhones....

If find the HEQ5pro has a working capacity of more like 10Kg

I used CdC, EQmod Firecapture (for the electronic finder - gives a jpg for plate solving), AA7,and PHD2 for guiding. Now use that set up on the NEQ6pro in the observatory.