Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-07-2018, 11:06 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Modifying a tripod with 3/8” thread

Picked up this tripod off the forums and thinking about how I can mod it to suit my Star Adventurer mount. This is a great tripod as it isn’t too heavy, very portable and can hold a decent amount of weight.

I am thinking of creating a disc to fill the hold (CAD and 3D printed using ABS) with a hole big enough in the middle for a 3/8" threaded rod. Then I will use some sort of nut, wingnut or a knob to tighten from the bottom.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can tackle this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCN4162.jpg)
182.3 KB19 views
Old 20-07-2018, 02:02 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

After a lot of research I came across this.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=156710

Looks pretty good as well, might give it a crack!
Old 20-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Wavytone

Hi Stefan,

There’s an easy way:

1. Buy a length of 3/8” threaded rod, 4 nuts, 3 washers and a little tube of “Locktite”. Alternatively Araldite will do, but not superglue.

If you want a really good handle, I’d suggest raiding a kids toy for a rubber wheel or better yet, head to a bike shop and buy one of the wheels with clear gel tyres used on scooters - they’re only a few bucks and look great as well has having great grip.

A funky alternative could be an old fashioned tap handle from plumbing supplies. One of those old-school four-lobed white porcelain enamel ones with “C” would match the tripod nicely.

2. Drill clearance hole in the base, 10mm should do nicely.

3. From the top down

- a section of threaded rod stands above the base to screw into the mount.
- a nut goes on the threaded rod, this one is to stop the rod falling out of the hole when the mount is removed. After adjusting it’s position this nut is locked as per below.

- put the rod through the 10mm hole in the tripod,
- from the bottom end put a washer under that, then thread on a nut underneath the washer. These will take the force when the rod is screwed into the base of the mount. Adjust this nut and the top one so the rod turns freely, but will pull the mount down firmly onto the tripod.

- Once that position is known, secure both nuts in position with Locktite or glue in the threads.

4. Some distance below, use the two remaining nuts to lock the wheel in place on the rod to form a handle.

5. Cut off the surplus length of the bolt with hacksaw and clean up with a grinder, file or even a grindstone.

If the rod is long you could make a triangular accessory tray that fits between the legs and thread that onto the rod too, with a nut under to pull it up tight against the legs. This stiffens these tripods considerably.

Last edited by Wavytone; 20-07-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 20-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Zuts

Hi,

I purchased this adaptor from Baader I think. I have an AZEQ6 and an evolution mount. The evolution tripod is too flimsy for my edge HD 9.25 so I got the adaptor and tapped it for the AZEQ6 spreader and ground down an M10 bolt as the existing black one is too big.

Now I can use my scopes on either the AZEQ6 or Evolution with the AZEQ6 tripod.

Cheers
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (adaptorcomp.jpg)
70.5 KB15 views