Old 30-06-2018, 07:22 PM
frank farrell

Orion

Has anyone used one of these, I would appreciate a "user review"......ORION 8MM STRATUS WIDE FIELD EYEPIECE - 1.25" / 2"

I want to get one to use in my 250mm alt az newt, Glass is coated by Sainty ion deposition, F6 ,,, fl 1500mm cool:

Last edited by frank farrell; 01-07-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:58 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Haven't used the 8mm but had the 13mm about 15 years ago. At the time it was ok but edge performance isn't great.

Note that Saxon now sells the same eyepieces for a lot less money:

http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/Acces...xon_SWA_8.html
Old 02-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Wavytone

Poor mans copy of Vixen LVWs - and inferior to the LVWs. I’ve looked through a 13 and 8mm and not great at the edges as Morton indicates.

The Vixen LVW8 or SSW7 are significantly better.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:08 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Stratus line is the same as the Hyperion line from Baader. Same EP as the Saxon SWA and the Celestron Duo.

Separate design from LVW. Not a "copy" - sorry Wavy These are designed for refractors, SCTs and Maks. Only the 5mm performs really well in Newts as it uses a different design. The 5mm does an outstanding job in my 8" f/4 Newt. The other focal lengths are excellent in refractors SCTs and Maks.

The Orion Lanthanum Super Wide is the same as the LVW. This line was available for only a couple of years. Because they carry the Orion badge not the Vixen one, they are cheaper for the exact same EP. Used both LVW and Lanthanum Super Wides, same focal lengths too, and exact same. Badge difference makes the Orions more of a bargain
Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 PM
Wavytone

Ha. Alex by "copy" I didn't mean an exact copy.

FWIW the Orion Lanthanum Super Wides were made by Vixen and branded as Orion - some of the Orions bore a Vixen "makers mark".

Pretty sure the Baader Hyperions, Stratus and other clones were manufactured as job lots in China where unfortunately the factories do not use an equivalent to the Japanese system of "makers marks". There are several factories that made eyepieces but minimum order quantities are in the ten-thousands and typically 1 batch made was enough for many years of retail sales.

The only distinguishing factors are minute variations in the typography of the lettering on the barrel.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Wavy.

I have the Orion 22mm Lanthanum Super Wide, and on the barrel it has the "circle V" mark of Vixen.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank farrell View Post
Has anyone used one of these, I would appreciate a "user review"......ORION 8MM STRATUS WIDE FIELD EYEPIECE - 1.25" / 2"

I want to get one to use in my 250mm alt az newt, Glass is coated by Sainty ion deposition, F6 ,,, fl 1500mm cool:
I would suggest the Pentax XF8.5mm instead, much sharper....
176x, 1.4mm exit pupil, 0.35º TF compared to the Orion at 188x, 1.33mm & 0.36º