Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Fireball over Perth

Witnessed a large fireball at approx. 18:08 Perth time.

Unfortunately I was driving at the time so can't give accurate bearings, but appeared to be to the South West and ended about 20 or 30 degrees from the horizon.

I didn't catch the start as it came into my view after clearing my car's roof line, but the sky was still very bright so fair bet it was brighter than Venus.
As I was driving it was easy to compare and I reckon it appeared about as bright as a car's headlights from a few hundred meters away.
It was moving very quickly, I saw a short bright flash and then it was easy to see it had split into two and then faded away very quickly.
Due to the car's roof, all up it lasted no more than 2 seconds for me, wish I had an unobstructed view.

I also wish the sky was much darker as it would have left an impressive trail.

Did anyone else catch it?
Old 12-08-2014, 09:16 AM
starfield7 (Dave)

Are you able to report your observation on the Fireballs In The Sky app from Curtin University? You'll need to be in the rough location that you saw the fireball. Otherwise you can report it here http://thelatestworldwidemeteorrepor...ot.com.au/?m=1

Fragmentation suggests rocks on the ground, assuming it wasn't heading to a watery grave. Do you have more details about your location and its direction?
Old 12-08-2014, 12:27 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Hi Dave, I did think about the app(saw it on ABC's Catalyst) straight after seeing the fireball but soon realised I would not be able to give anything even close to an accurate report.
I was travelling over 100kmh at the time and I'm now not even sure which section of the winding road I was on. Very sorry.

There would definitely not be rocks on the ground, they'd be deep in the Indian ocean.
Old 13-11-2014, 02:11 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I saw two fireballs while lying on my chair for the first time.One came from East to West while the other came from North to South. I got really lucky on that night, beautiful site. The East to West Fireball extinguished almost directly overhead from me and the other one extinguished bit further south from me in Warnbro.

Thanks for the link although I didn't record the time. I remember them about the same time mentioned in the first post.
Old 15-11-2014, 03:59 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
I remember them about the same time mentioned in the first post.
On the 11th of August or more recently?
Old 15-11-2014, 10:54 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

On the 11th at the same time. It was the first opportunity I had to sit outside in a looooong time so it was well remembered.
Old 14-08-2015, 09:28 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

I can't believe it.
Saw another bright long bolide on my drive home tonight, but get this...
I was driving on the exact same stretch of road that I was on when I saw the last one! (reported above)
Probably only tens of metres difference.
Crazy.

This one was at exactly 18:34 (checked my watch and have adjusted by checking online clocks (NIST etc)
Was bright white/blue but didn't leave a trail that I could see.
It started low and slow and looked as though it would disappear below the horizon but it seemed to flicker a bit then one final brightish flash as it burned out just before getting to the horizon.
Either that or it disappeared behind distant cloud that I can't see.
Pretty speccy.
Anyone else in southwest WA see it?