ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2021, 04:15 PM
gregbradley

Camera/eyepiece cases Bunnings

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/p...er&pageSize=60

These are great cases. Basically copies of Pelican cases for 1/4 the price.

They make very good camera or eyepieces cases and the foam pulls out easily in little segments (they are pre-sliced and parts pluck out).

Greg.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:42 PM
NeilW

I agree Greg. I have had a couple of these for few years now, and they're excellent value
Old 12-03-2021, 06:01 PM
glend (Glen)

Yeah I have a couple gathering dust in the shed, as I don't go out to the dark site anymore. They are very strong. I would like to find foam insert replacements for them, as the equipment I bought them for, and cut them for, doesn't exist anymore. Any ideas about replacement pluck foam? Might just put them in the Classifieds.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:29 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

They used to do them in yellow, which are much easier to spot in the dark
Old 12-03-2021, 08:35 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Yeah I have a couple gathering dust in the shed, as I don't go out to the dark site anymore. They are very strong. I would like to find foam insert replacements for them, as the equipment I bought them for, and cut them for, doesn't exist anymore. Any ideas about replacement pluck foam? Might just put them in the Classifieds.
I get them from here: https://www.jdsound.com.au/catalogse...Fcubed+pre+cut
Old 12-03-2021, 09:20 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Thank you Matt, I will get some of those.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:28 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Try Clark Rubber. They sell various types of foam.

Greg.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:30 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
They used to do them in yellow, which are much easier to spot in the dark
Bunnings sells a yellow version. It appears to be the exact same case but in yellow. But its a different brand - Kinchrome and $129 instead of $83.

I would have preferred yellow (I have one already for my CCD cameras) but not for that price difference.

Greg.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:25 PM
alval (Alan)

I get replacement foam from ebay. Search for pick n pluck foam or the like. Quite a few sizes and then check the sellers store for more specific ones.
Al
Old 13-03-2021, 03:48 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Bunnings sells a yellow version. It appears to be the exact same case but in yellow. But its a different brand - Kinchrome and $129 instead of $83.

I would have preferred yellow (I have one already for my CCD cameras) but not for that price difference.

Greg.
Yeah that's crazy, they were the same price when I bought mine.
Old 14-03-2021, 09:34 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
OMFG! Replacement foam inserts! You bloody legend!

I have like 6 of those Bunning's cases and I don't use 2 any more because I can't redo the foam.
Old 14-03-2021, 12:29 PM
TrevorW

I wanted a bigger trolley case in the same material 700x500x300 to carry two refractors. I made inquiries through ALiBaba fair enough plenty available in China with foam inserts for around $100, the only case I could find in OZ was around $400 but not quite big enough. Although there were

plenty of people wanting to sell me one, when I inquired about shipping it was like nearly $500 in freight costs, go figureso I soon gave up on that idea
Old 14-03-2021, 01:05 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
I wanted a bigger trolley case in the same material 700x500x300 to carry two refractors. I made inquiries through ALiBaba fair enough plenty available in China with foam inserts for around $100, the only case I could find in OZ was around $400 but not quite big enough. Although there were

plenty of people wanting to sell me one, when I inquired about shipping it was like nearly $500 in freight costs, go figureso I soon gave up on that idea
Getting a Pelican style case for a refractor is surprisingly difficult.
They all seem too long or too short or way too wide.

Greg.
Old 14-03-2021, 01:48 PM
AdamJL

I've got a couple of these, one for my cameras/lenses and another for my astrotrac.
Also got the Kincrome (small astro bits) and a Pelican (for my Canon 500 f/4)

In terms of quality, the Craftright ones aren't too bad, but they're no Pelicans. Are they 4 times as worse? Nope, but they're definitely not in the same ballpark.

That said, if all you're doing is storing stuff at home in them and transporting in the car, then they're perfectly fine

Just wish they'd do bigger ones, because even the biggest won't fit my scope + guide scope attached.
Old 15-03-2021, 12:49 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Supacheap Auto have a range of Toolpro cases which may suit - I've got a case nearly 1200mm long that I use for all my eyepieces and gear - very handy. Not sure if that would fit your scope. You can also buy replacement foam, or get foam custom cut to suit, from a place called Evolution Gear. A lot of the boxes are standard sizes, I've found.
Old 17-03-2021, 02:52 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Supacheap Auto have a range of Toolpro cases which may suit - I've got a case nearly 1200mm long that I use for all my eyepieces and gear - very handy. Not sure if that would fit your scope. You can also buy replacement foam, or get foam custom cut to suit, from a place called Evolution Gear. A lot of the boxes are standard sizes, I've found.
thanks, Patrick. I had a look at the 1200mm long version, and sadly it's too thin.
125mm internal dimensions means I can't fit my scope in. All the other dimensions are perfect, though.

I will keep hunting around for the perfect case! Essentially I want to keep the scope, dovetail bar, and guide scope all connected in storage so I never have to connect/disconnect the guide-scope.

edit: might just make one. I have a large sheet of plywood sitting in the garage unused, a few aluminium bars, my router and some custom foam might work!