Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 05-01-2006, 12:05 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

DVD Recorders

So what do you recommend in DVD recorders?

We had/have a LG combined DVD/VCR player that's 3 years old, and this morning after a blackout, the player decided not to power up anymore.

I've taken it to get looked at, but if it's going to cost too much to repair, then i'll replace it with a DVD recorder.

I've had a brief look this morning, there's basically with HDD or without HDD. Given cost considerations, i'll be looking at one WITHOUT HDD to reduce the cost. I'm just not enough of a couch potato to take advantage of those features.

So any particular model or brand I should look for, or steer clear of?

Having a brief look on ebay and elsewhere, it looks like I should expect to pay $200-$300.. is that about right?
It will mean sacrificing our old vidoes to the VCR gods (and buying star wars episodes 1,4,5,6 on DVD) but thems the breaks with technology. I wouldn't buy another VCR player/recorder. It's just not worth it.

Thoughts everyone?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Oh and should i get a DVD+RW or DVD-RW?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
RB (Andrew)

I don't know too much about DVD recdr's Mike, but I can tell you that I've had enough of LG.
I won't buy that brand again, I've had too many bad experiences with it.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:13 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

My husband worked at Retravision.
His advise,
Steer clear of Lennox
Stick with well known brands.
JVC seems to lead the technology.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Boy
I don't know too much about DVD recdr's Mike, but I can tell you that I've had enough of LG.
I won't buy that brand again, I've had too many bad experiences with it.

Just one look at LG's tacky logo is enough to put me off, even though my computer has an LG burner in it.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:32 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

l bought a Conia MR9 10D a while ago now and it is still working fine, from what l have found it is the same internally as some of the dearer brands, it does not have an internal hard drive, for basic use l cannot see the point.
lt has DV and USB interfaces 5.1 channel audio and dual format DVD-R and DVD-RW.
You should pay around $199.00.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:35 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hook up your pc to the TV and get a dvdr they are REALLY cheap
Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Where from Mick?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:56 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

l bought mine from JB Hi- Fi, but Retravision and the bigger electrical outlets in Melbourne have them so probably the same in Sydney.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:01 PM
lost_in_space
Evolution in action.

Dvd

I would avoid Sony, as they are one of the main culprits in Digital Rights (Restriction) Management. Look for one that can have the regional encoding cracked or does not have RE. (RE is illegal in Australia anyway). Also look for one that will play a wide variety of different formats such as MP3, DivX etc. Mine is a Samsung and has performed flawlessly for nearly 3 years. I got the instructions for removing regional encoding off the net. It's simple to do, and involves holding down certain buttons for a set period of time to bring up the hidden menu.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Doesn't seem to matter which brand you get these days as far as breaking down goes. It's a bit like lotto. I've had expensive brands fail and cheap ones go for years. Weird.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:22 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher
Doesn't seem to matter which brand you get these days as far as breaking down goes. It's a bit like lotto. I've had expensive brands fail and cheap ones go for years. Weird.
True, I always have a problem with Sony.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
hogly52 (Graeme)
A FN Observer

I purchased my first DVD-R, non-HDD, from that well known retailer, whose name ends in Smith for $399. After at least six (6) exchanges I gave up and requested a refund, which to their credit they did without qualm. As much as I enjoyed the recording experience when it/they worked, the machines failed fairly quickly. My advice, and from those around me, is to stay away from the $200-$300 non-HDD recorders, and seek out the reputable HDD models. I think from memory these were in the $1000+ bracket.

Strangely enough, my current DVD (apart from my notebook one) players are all those sub $80 versions, which appear to have given reasonable service. The idea of creating DVDs on the PC/Notebook sounds a good way to go, but not one that I have tried.

Cheers, hope this provides some guidance,

Graeme
Old 05-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Twokids
Dob Dob Dob

I have a Pioneer dvr-320 (no hdd). I've had it for a while now and converted all my old home videos to dvd. It has worked flawlessly every time. It cost about $320 (on special) and is the middle of the range model. I think the only difference between the non hdd Pioneer models is the input/outputs they have.
I looked at the cheaper brands, but my kids videos were important to me and I didn't want to take the chance on the conversion not being so good on the cheaper recorders.
I usually burn the videos to rewritable dvd's on the recorder and then put the dvd in my computer for editing, so I didn't see the need for spending the extra money for an extra harddrive.
I looked into getting a card for my computer, but the good quality cards cost as much as the recorder. It also takes a lot of your computers resourses so I wouldn't be able to do much else with my computer while it was recording.
Anyway, hope this helps.
Bye
Old 05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
FNQ_View (Mick)

We recently went through his here at home. Our choice was for a HDD equipped model. ( it's far easier for editing from videotape if you need to trim ads etc) Although you don't want to hear this, we ended up buying an LG - the reason - LG is the only model that supports both + and - formats for recording. This unit also supports dual-layer burning for $549 with a 3 Year warranty.

Mick
Old 05-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Twokids
Dob Dob Dob

Just a quick question ,

What are the differences between + and -. My dvd burner in my computer can use both but I've never worked out a difference between them. Am I supposed to use a certain type for certain things? I've always just used whichever discs I had handy and never had any problems. Am I missing something?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:15 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

I have the Panasonic DVD recorder with hard drive and it works great. I have owned it for 18 months and there has been some upgrades to this model since then. The newer version has a 120gig hard drive, while mine has a 40 gig. You can record at varying qualities that will use differing amounts of the hard drive due to compression. I usually record in SP but use XP for special events. I think the newer model can record in HD digital. They cost a lot of money but work every cent. You can through away your video recorder if you get the panasonic version. Many, many, many features. The manual is over 100 pages long.

Anyway that is my recommendation.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:05 AM
johnno

Hi MIKE,
Its not allways a catastrophic failure.In fact most often
after a blackout,the Startup capacitors,in the power supply,go cold,and will not start the internal supply back up again.
Most remote powered equipement,is left on all the time,at the wall socket.(if not,then how does the remote work)
This allows the remote control to power the equipement on/off when WE desire.
As a result the capacitors in the power supply,stay WARM,and show no symptoms of ageing,UNTIL we lose all power for some time,then they get cold,and develop a case of ESR(effective series resistance),and refuse to work.
Bottom Line,Not Allways,but USUALLY,no great harm.
If your Tech is Honest,it should not cost a fortune.
Regards.
John
Old 06-01-2006, 06:54 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for the feedback guys, and thanks for the glimmer of hope John. Hopefully it'll just cost me the initial $55 and I can worry about upgrading in a year or two when the price comes down.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:16 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Got a call from the guys at the shop, unfortunately the PCB has broken, so it's an expensive replacement (over $250 at least). So it's time to buy a new one

But, he did say something interesting - apparently I might be able to claim the cost of the unit through my house insurance, or even through my electricity supplier because the fault occurred as a result of the blackout.

Anyone have any experience with this?