Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-10-2018, 10:30 PM
sharpiel

Tak 2" diagonal to Baader ClickLock

Recently I got myself a Tak 2" mirror diagonal.

I wanted to replace the Tak eyepiece thumbscrews with a Baader ClickLock

I've measured the Tak female threads in the diagonal body to be M55 (see pic of measured male thread eyepiece holder that mates to the diagonal body below).

After talking to Baader it appears I would need the following from them:

1. M55 to M68 2" adaptor (27 euro) - then-
2. M68 conversion ring (30 euro) -then-
3. M68 2" Baader ClickLock (69 euro)

Totals €126 or $202 AUD plus costs etc.

Has anyone else fitted a 2" Baader ClickLock to a Tak 2" diagonal and if so how?

I know there are members here who could make an adaptor to fit. Has anyone done it already? I'd love your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
180.2 KB46 views
Old 31-10-2018, 11:01 PM
issdaol (Phil)

I’m pretty sure it can be done but I think it’s M54 threads not M55
Old 02-11-2018, 10:20 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Les,

Talk to Rafael at RAFCamera - he'll make you up an adaptor to go from the Tak thread to the clicklock for half of Baader's rip 'n gouge and just as good (he anodises all his adaptors).

Last largish diagonal adaptor I had him make, anodise and post cost me $28 US all up.

Just draw it, with all the dimensions and he'll make it.

Or ask Stefan Buda here on Ice nicely, but again you'll need to draw it up (just a sketch will do). Stefan made me a really tricky adaptor, fully flocked and anodised for FAR FAR less than Precise Parts would have (saved me roughly $125 US!)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:46 AM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Les,

Talk to Rafael at RAFCamera - he'll make you up an adaptor to go from the Tak thread to the clicklock for half of Baader's rip 'n gouge and just as good (he anodises all his adaptors).

Last largish diagonal adaptor I had him make, anodise and post cost me $28 US all up.

Just draw it, with all the dimensions and he'll make it.

Or ask Stefan Buda here on Ice nicely, but again you'll need to draw it up (just a sketch will do). Stefan made me a really tricky adaptor, fully flocked and anodised for FAR FAR less than Precise Parts would have (saved me roughly $125 US!)
Thanks Lewis. There still seems to be some confusion as to what the thread is on the Tak diagonal. I'll need to sort that first.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 AM
Wilso

Baader sell a m54 clicklock,
It would be easier to do a m55-m54 adapter?

Joshua Bunn on here also makes adapters

Last edited by Wilso; 03-11-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Kunama

I would get an adapter made with M55 x 0.75 male thread 5mm deep on one end and M56 x 0.75 male thread on the other and the use Clicklock #2956255
Old 03-11-2018, 01:30 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I would get an adapter made with M55 x 0.75 male thread 5mm deep on one end and M56 x 0.75 male thread on the other and the use Clicklock #2956255
I think that’s the way to go. I’ll start following it up. Thanks for everyone’s input.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Kunama

I get my adapters made by Rafael Pankratau at RAF Camera.

Email him the details and a small sketch and he will reply with a cad drawing before making the adapter. Most of mine cost $25 USD each.

Rafael Pankratau rafcamera@gmail.com
Old 03-11-2018, 03:11 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Matt, would you recommend 5mm thread both sides? Total adaptor approx 10mm.

P.S. Have a safe trip. Enjoy the A380. Head upstairs to the back. There's a lovely cocktail bar there...

Last edited by sharpiel; 03-11-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:35 PM
Wilso

Let us all know if you went ahead (with pictures) of the Tak/Baader hybrid!
The thumbscrews we're the only reason I didn't go for the Tak 2" diagonal
Old 12-11-2018, 06:27 PM
sharpiel

So I've ordered the ClickLock parts from Telescope Express in Germany. My first experience with them and so far they've been exceptionally responsive with email questions and customer support.

Unfortunately the 2-1&1/4" adaptor is out of stock. So a several week delay to me. Once in hand I'll sort out the Tak-Baader adaptor.
Old 23-12-2018, 06:36 PM
sharpiel

So my mistake...I had Stefan Buda make me a beautiful adaptor all anodised black to fit the Baader ClickLock to the Tak Diagonal...unfortunately I got the thread pitch wrong on the Tak Diagonal side so it doesn't fit (insert face palm here)... Completely my fault... I should have contacted Tak Japan for the correct sizing. The Baader side screws in and out like Teflon (thanks to Stefan...his work is exceptional).

I've since contacted Claude at AEC who kindly contacted Tak Japan for me who confirmed the correct pitch and screw size (M55 at 1mm).

In between I also asked Takahashi America the same question who also confirmed the same size and pitch. After New Year when time allows I'll get Stefan to remake the adaptor for me with the correct dimensions.

I wanted to give credit to everyone who's been involved so far but particularly to Claude at AEC and Takahashi America (Darrin and Fred) who weren't making any money from the project but who offered assistance free of charge. Great customer service goes a long way with me in terms of where I spend my money so thank you to both those businesses.

Thanks also to the many members here who've helped along the way. This is a great community full of valuable knowledge and people willing to share and assist. Thank you everyone.

Thumbs up all round
Old 23-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Wilso

I almost posted you yesterday to see how you were getting on with the hybrid diagonal!

Pitty about the miss matched thread, it's hard matching different thread sizes without the appropriate gear and can be costly. The last Tak thread that I matched had the UNC coarse thread as well.

Hopefully everything from here goes well!
Old 23-12-2018, 09:38 PM
sharpiel

The Baader ClickLock is an interesting piece of kit. I bought the Baader ClickLock M72 Tak to 2" as well for my TOA. That attaches to the telescope and allows straight through viewing with 2" eyepieces or use of the 2" diagonal barrel (facing the telescope) held in place by the 2" ClickLock.

This is separate to the adaptor I'm having made which sits on the eyepiece side of the Tak diagonal and attaches a 2" ClickLock into which you insert your eyepieces. It took some getting use to but I recommend it. It was a little unexpected in the way it works but I really like it.

Looking forward in the new year to completing the system.
Old 24-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Wavytone

Les what eyepieces are you using with the clicklock ? I bought a clicklock diagonal recently only to find it cannot lock on some eyepieces with undercuts.

Maybe the clicklock will finally convince eyepieces makers to stop adding undercuts whicher never necessary in the first place.
Old 24-12-2018, 10:14 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Les what eyepieces are you using with the clicklock ? I bought a clicklock diagonal recently only to find it cannot lock on some eyepieces with undercuts.

Maybe the clicklock will finally convince eyepieces makers to stop adding undercuts whicher never necessary in the first place.
Hello Nick.

I'm away from home at the moment so the following statements are caveat emptor....

I only own Tak or Televue eyepieces I just can't remember which ones do or don't have undercuts. I'm still waiting on the Baader 2-1&1/4" adaptor so I've only tried the Tak 2" diagonal (with undercut as shown) and a TV 2" (something?) with undercut into the Baader and both lock in securely.

I have other 1&1/4" TV and Tak eyepieces the "undercuts" of which I can't remember now. The undercuts are designed with thumbscrews in mind as you know.

My experience is no problems so far with the limited options I can plug into the Clicklock.

From an ocd point of view the idea of the Clicklock with an evenly constricting ring to maintain a dioptric centering appeals to me. I was never worried about thumbscrew marks on the eyepiece barrels but the Clicklock also negates that if that's an issue for others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpeg)
16.7 KB18 views

Last edited by sharpiel; 25-12-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 16-01-2019, 08:30 PM
sharpiel

So here it is...thanks to Stefan Buda who machined the adaptor to screw them together. Beautiful machining and anodising work he did too.

The Takabaaderhashi ClickLock.

The 2-1&1/4" ClickLock adaptor is yet to arrive from the manufacturer who ran out of stock last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
185.1 KB27 views