Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 22-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

What?

From Takahashi:

Our repair section of the factory has checked and repaired of the focuser
and following is its report.

1. Rack and pinion gears were terribly damaged, and focus movement could not be rotated in smooth.
2. The above damage on the gears was caused by user's working and/or
modification, judging from the leaving trace on the gears and parts.
3. The gears are replaced with new ones and put the grease as standard.
With this repair, the focuser can be moved in smooth.
4. The Focuser is now moved smooth enough and is within Takahashi standard.
It was cleared Takahashi out-going inspection.
5. The repair cost is JPY 12,000

The technician informs me that the flawed saddle holding the focus spindle shaft is within normal specs and does not require replacement.

I am paying for the repair so that I can use the scope but I am taking James up on his offer for a replacement focuser.

What burns me up is that this scope was manufactured in 2013!

cheers,

Phil
Old 22-10-2014, 09:36 PM
casstony

Seems like Takahashi has a bit to learn about customer relations. They should have erred on the side of the customer, repaired at no cost and we would have been talking about how good their customer service is.
Old 22-10-2014, 10:23 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Playing devil's advocate, Tak did say they believe that SOMEONE had damaged the rack and/or pinion teeth by alterations. Unfortunately in Phil's case, the scoring from clamping the robofocus grub screws down was VERY evident as circular scratches in the chrome plate of the pinion shaft (remember, I did personally inspect the unit, and did write my observations in my letter I provided Phil). I am sure they are basing their damage by customer alteration stance entirely on the visual and tangible evidence in front of them and have decided their response as such based on this.

Is their decision correct? I am not sure, but based on Laurie also complaining of a stiffer than expected drawtube movement - and that was PRIOR to any additional "alteration", I would say the focuser was defective from manufacture, or at least damaged in transit to Claude prior to sale (rough bumping COULD jar the teeth).

Should they replace FOC? Well, again, I can't comment on that, as unfortunately the onus is on Phil to somehow prove that he hadn't altered the focuser in any way, but unfortunately, explicit evidence COULD be twisted to argue in favour of the Takahashi stand point.

Still 12000 Yen is only $130, which seems unbelievably cheap for Takahashi anything! I was of the understanding that the certificate that comes with new Tak's costs about 400000000000 yen...
Old 22-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Is their decision correct? I am not sure, but based on Laurie also complaining of a stiffer than expected drawtube movement - and that was PRIOR to any additional "alteration", I would say the focuser was defective from manufacture, or at least damaged in transit to Claude prior to sale (rough bumping COULD jar the teeth).
Lewis, the focuser was stiff compared to other scopes I have owned, but apparently normal for Takahashi-my new FC-100DF feels exactly the same. As I have previously stated, Takahashi advised me that if I wanted it to be easier to operate, I should either send the focuser back to them to change the grease, or alternatively fit the 7:1 micro-focuser-which is what I did. The focuser, as you have said previously, was never adjusted or tampered with in any way.
I ordered my FC-100DF with the micro-focus in anticipation that its focuser would feel the same as the TSA120.
Old 22-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Findings

My personal opinion is that the casting of the focus unit was flawed, picked up on inspection in the factory, reworked and passed as ok.

However, when a JMI motor focuser was fitted by myself and Dennis, damage probably happened to the gears when trying to move the tube against whatever was causing the binding.

As much as I tried to convey this probable scenario to Takahashi, the message just did not get through.

However, as the casting has not been replaced, the flaw still exists and when I receive the unit next week, I will test it out. (maybe Lewis would like to be there to assist)

If the focuser still binds with reducer and camera loaded, then I will take the matter further with Takahashi.

regards,

Phil
Old 23-10-2014, 10:24 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy Lane View Post
..If the focuser still binds with reducer and camera loaded, then I will take the matter further with Takahashi.
regards,Phil
Phil...I agree with you totally.....but if the unit still binds....give up and put on an after market focuser...like an FT. Sure write back to Tak and tear them a new one but really it's obviousthey fail to understand from your point of view nor are they engaging in customer satisfaction.

Really, there are some times you have to accept defeat even though you are right. I know its wrong but it will be less stressful and easier.

Anyway...FWIW.
Old 23-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Let it go!

Brendan,

You are so right!

Tilting at windmills can be a pointless and frustrating experience.

regards,

Phil
Old 23-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Exfso (Peter)

That price from Takahashi is brilliant, I have had repairs done by them and they were much, much more expensive than that.
Old 24-10-2014, 10:30 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

I've lived in Japan for 14.5 years now and I have to be honest I'm not surprised with the conclusion they've come up with. I'm not certain if the modifications are truly at fault, but the way most of the manufacturers (not just Takahashi) think is that if someone has touched it from stock (even if it's dismantled and put back together, let alone install a 3rd party product on it) and a fault develops, fingers will point to the customer or 3rd party product.

Things in general are a lot more "black 'n white" here - I've grown accustom to it.
Old 31-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

The repaired focuser arrived from Japan this morning.

I fitted it onto the telescope, added the imaging train, attached the electric focuser and it is now working properly.

regards,

Phil