Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-10-2014, 02:46 PM
garymck (Gary)

Takahashi Green - a formula

For those who have Takahashi equipment and would like to paint other brand stuff to match, here is a formula that is as close as I was able to get doing a manual color match. I think it is about 98% of the original Takahashi color and way closer than Toyota Gypsum which is noticeably darker.

This formula only works in the paint mentioned:

Taubmans Ultra Enamel - Satin White base 1 litre
Taubmans Tinters

B = 9
C = 43
D = 2
E = 13

This was significantly closer than the match produced by a Spectro.

Hope it helps....

cheers
Gary
Old 13-10-2014, 08:55 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Gary, glad you figured it out, but, all you had to do was ask

Tak green has been available for MANY MANY years, over the counter. Toyota "Gypsum" is SO darned close, you may as well call it a match. Holts used to make it in touch up aerosols, but it has been discontinued in their new line.

SO, I went to my mate at Aussie Auto who is a master spray painter, and had him mix up several 300g aerosol cans (cost is $25 each - I can sell these to whoever needs them) - and I had him make as-new, as well as "old UV faded" versions - we checked with my new Tak and my OLD Tak to ascertain if correct or not.

The paint code is DST17 GYPSUM, and there are 3 variations. You need the one with more WHITE in it, as the others have a little more ochre or green. As mixed, it comes out gloss, but matting agent can be added to the can. An alternative is to spray it with satin clear after it dries.

If you want the Tak "casting roughness", just hit the primer coat with a tiny overspray of any hammertone - just a mist, not enough to even cover, just to "inflict" a few lumps here and there to it. Then re-prime, and then colour coat it.

I supplied Col "Flashdrive" with a can a couple days ago, and a can of satin clear.

The white is "Corvette White" - again, there are a few variants, so I am having one of each made and then trial them. The white changed over the years too and is now more cream to the older almost pure white.

Then there is the Tak Neutral Grey (OLD colour they used on the castings) and the Epsilon yellow. I haven't bothered as yet with those, as I don't have a sample of either.

Regarding spectro, it WON'T work if you have a curved surface - if they took the sample from the finder base flat area, the result may have been more accurate. If from a curved surface, the white balance is off, as are the blacks.
Old 13-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Isn't the Takahashi paint available from Claude?

H
Old 13-10-2014, 09:20 PM
garymck (Gary)

Hi Lewis,

I went to the local auto paint shop and had a look at the Gypsum color chip next to my new Tak clamshell. The Gypsum looked waaay waaaay too dark to my eyes...It was the right color family but had too much black in it. It is possible that my brand new Tak Clamshell was brighter than usual in it's newness.....

As I used to have a part time job as a color matcher I went to the local paint store and told the guy how I wanted it done..Used the Spectro to start (on the base of the clamshell). This gave us a starting formula. Used 2/3 of the Spectro formula to start then sneaked up on it by eye :-)

Put a smudge on the base of the clamshell and dried it (almost - left it slightly wet so I could clean it off). Looked like when it dried it would be bang on...

Use an easy to get oil based enamel (very hard finish) that is satin so I didn't have to top coat it to dull it. Got the textured effect by spraying the paint using an airbrush. Boosted the pressure to 40 psi and did not thin the paint. This gave a rough finish rather than a smooth finish.

I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known you had a can you would part with!!!

Can you Let me know when you get the white bang on...I'll prolly ask you for a can!!

Claude has the paint but only in tiny tiny containers as a touch up rather than re paint.....

cheers
Gary
Old 13-10-2014, 09:30 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I got a free can from Claude - I used it also as a match

Yes, the Gypsum is SLIGHTLY off, hence the 3 variants. We did add a touch more white to it, and it came up spot on. I even handbrushed some on a chipped old clamshell, and it's a seamless match.

I sprayed yesterday one of Steve Brennan's adapters for the Feathertouch on the FC-76 [FS-60 conversion unit] (looked odd in bare aluminium). Etch prime, blackened inside (used the new sugar-ethanol based IronLak flat black - PERFECT!), masked inside, slight spatter with hammertone white (wish I could find more of that!), reprime, then green. Whilst still wet, I misted on a satin coat.

Will photograph it tomorrow. Certainly looks good, but thinking I may keep the original focuser on it anyway.
Old 13-10-2014, 09:48 PM
garymck (Gary)

I got a can of white hammertone a while ago at Masters....might be worth checking there for it...

cheers
Gary
Old 27-10-2014, 11:33 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Thanks for the hint Gary - I drove to the nearest Masters outlet here (65km each way) and got their last 3 cans of Hammertone White.

It matches the Vixen hammertone white PERFECTLY in TEXTURE, but not QUITE in colour, but close enough for what I need it to do.

I also notice Hammerite brand makes a green VERY close to Tak green, though a little too green still.