Old 09-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Tilt (Michael)

Vertical band on 50D image

Hi All,

I'm just checking if anyone has seen or heard about a banding issue with the Canon 50D? Here is a single 300 sec frame showing this vertical band on the left hand side of the image. The same thing was happening through 2 different telescopes on 2 different nights, I may have a sensor issue? What do you think?

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (test.jpg)
179.6 KB177 views
Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 AM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

I think there was something about vertical banding in one of the firmware updates - what version is your firmware?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 AM
RB (Andrew)

If you haven't done so already, update your firmware to the latest v1.0.6.
This should fix the banding problem on the 50D.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:06 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Hope you sort it out with the firmware update Michael.
I remember something about isolating power and data cables to avoid these issues too.
Nice pic BTW - taken with the ED80??
Doug
Old 09-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Tilt (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_south View Post
I think there was something about vertical banding in one of the firmware updates - what version is your firmware?
I currently have v1.0.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
If you haven't done so already, update your firmware to the latest v1.0.6.
This should fix the banding problem on the 50D.
Ah you may be onto something here, I found the v1.0.6 firmware update. I will give this a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
Hope you sort it out with the firmware update Michael.
I remember something about isolating power and data cables to avoid these issues too.
Nice pic BTW - taken with the ED80??
Doug
Yep, taken with the ED80 with the WO 0.8x. I have 12x300 sec, maybe I should stack them and process anyway to see what I get. Just crop out the vertical band for the time being. I will update the firmware now and have a go at another image run tonight and see what happens.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:14 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
I currently have v1.0.3

Ah you may be onto something here, I found the v1.0.6 firmware update. I will give this a go.
Yep hope it does the trick for you Michael, let us know.
The 50D is a very nice camera by the looks of things.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

All DSLRs can, and do, suffer from banding. My original 1D was horrid for it, I've seen it on a few occasions with my 1D Mark IIn.

From everything I've seen, the 50D is not as popular as the 40D - noise is worse by a considerable margin for starters. Far too many mp in a crop sensor for my liking - I really wish Canon would concentrate on quality than quantity. Canon's quality has went downhill since the 1D Mark III imho, their QA is now very poor.

Dave
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
From everything I've seen, the 50D is not as popular as the 40D - noise is worse by a considerable margin for starters. Far too many mp in a crop sensor for my liking - I really wish Canon would concentrate on quality than quantity. Canon's quality has went downhill since the 1D Mark III imho, their QA is now very poor.

Dave
I agree that I'm not in favour of Canon pushing the MP so high in crop bodies, that's why I think the 40D is the ideal body for astro.
Never the less, the 50D does perform well, noise is a little higher, that's to be expected, but overall from what I've seen and read it's manageable.

It's also got great features that I'd like to have in a DSLR like micro focus adjustment and peripheral illumination lens correction.
Let's just hope Canon starts to concentrate on image quality and not be swayed by the masses who want more mega pixels and video features (nice to have but not essential if image quality will suffer IMO).
Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Tilt (Michael)

The firmware update did not solve the banding problem, the first frame from last nights run was still showing the single strip down the left hand side of the frame. Hmm, maybe it is a sensor issue after all. Too many pixels into a 1.6 crop is showing its weakness with astro imaging.

Interestingly the 50D is a fantastic terrestrial camera, I've seen no issues at all there. I suppose that's what I mainly bought the camera for in the first place, I have a Baader modified 350D for astro work. I have not seen anything strange in the 350D shots so I might as well just stick with that for the time being.

Michael
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
The firmware update did not solve the banding problem, the first frame from last nights run was still showing the single strip down the left hand side of the frame. Hmm, maybe it is a sensor issue after all. Too many pixels into a 1.6 crop is showing its weakness with astro imaging.

Interestingly the 50D is a fantastic terrestrial camera, I've seen no issues at all there. I suppose that's what I mainly bought the camera for in the first place, I have a Baader modified 350D for astro work. I have not seen anything strange in the 350D shots so I might as well just stick with that for the time being.

Michael
I don't believe it's the mega pixels that's causing the problem Michael for astro. It must be an interference problem of some sort.
Do you save the images to memory card or computer?
If memory card then which brand?

I agree that the 50D would be a very nice terrestrial camera, if I was to update from the 20D I would be seriously considering it.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
I agree that I'm not in favour of Canon pushing the MP so high in crop bodies, that's why I think the 40D is the ideal body for astro.
Never the less, the 50D does perform well, noise is a little higher, that's to be expected, but overall from what I've seen and read it's manageable.

It's also got great features that I'd like to have in a DSLR like micro focus adjustment and peripheral illumination lens correction.
Let's just hope Canon starts to concentrate on image quality and not be swayed by the masses who want more mega pixels and video features (nice to have but not essential if image quality will suffer IMO).
Don't hold your breath. Marketing teams, imho, don't usually know what they're doing. Been there, seen them in action, had to bail them out when they're in trouble (constantly). I made 40k, they made $130k plus, go figure. I've seen so many marketing teams lie about their products, and when you correct the buggers with the correct information, they ignore you.

Modern people think more is better. Quality is a thing of the past, most people don't care these days because most of us have been brainwashed into a 'throw away society' mentality. Sad, but true. It always makes you wonder when a product is cheaper to replace new than repair.

Anyways, there are a number of reasons why more mp onto the same sized sensors are bad - noise, dynamic range, diffraction problems, circle of confusion issues etc. Canon (and others) won't learn unless the market backlashes against them. Canon Australia's service is horrid imho, and I'm not the only one who's said that.

If I had it my way, I'd switch to Nikon in a heartbeat, but, with a fair amount of lenses, it's not really cost effective, at least at the moment.

70-200 f2.8 L
300 f4 IS L
20-35 f2.8 L
50 f1.4
50 f1.8
35-80 f3.5 - 5.5
Sigma 150mm APP EX f2.8 Macro
Canon 1.4x TC (mark 1 version)
Canon 2x TC (mark II version)
430ex flash
Remote control unit
5 x genuine Canon batteries to suit 1 series bodies (pre Mark III which uses different batteries)
D60 backup body + grip
69mm Kenko extension tubes to suit EOS mount

Then there's my old 1n film body (plus grip), 430ez flash

That's a lot of investment, and considering I'd be lucky to probably get a D3k Sigma macro to suit and maybe a flash gun in its place due to market de-valuation. In the end, I've lost interest in Photography. Thanks Canon.

The 40D is a pretty good camera, I know a few who use it. It's Canon's last decent camera imho.

Dave
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Tilt (Michael)

I'm using Images Plus camera control, so I'm saving the images directly to the laptop.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM
RB (Andrew)

I agree with what you say Dave.
If I didn't have a significant investment in Canon lenses, I too would have considered a new Nikon body.
But in the end I've always said DSLR's come and go but lenses will be with you for life.

I'm happy with my 20D and 20Da and 5D.
For astro, if I was starting out I'd be looking at the 40D.
For terrestrial (crop 1.6) either the 40D or 50D with it's extra features.
I really like the features on the 50D.

It doesn't look like Canon will concentrate on IQ, the mega pixel war has truly begun.
I began to loose faith in their quality control when the 1D MkIII had it's issues. At least with the 5D MkII they patched the black dot problem with firmware.
That's why I like to wait till everything's ironed out with new models before considering an upgrade.

To be honest, in the end, it is the photographer that makes a great photo, not the camera.
I'd like to see people concentrate on their photo skills and post processing rather than chase mega pixels and features.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
I'm using Images Plus camera control, so I'm saving the images directly to the laptop.
Maybe try saving to a memory card to see if the issue is interference.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Tilt (Michael)

Quote:
For terrestrial (crop 1.6) either the 40D or 50D with it's extra features. I really like the features on the 50D.
That's why I went for a 50D, its got nifty features and did I mention the 920,000 dot 3" screen? Brilliant for checking focus, ect. Essentially this was a terrestrial upgrade from a 350D with a 'I wonder how this performs for DSO imaging' thrown in for good measure. For ISO settings, I've found the 50D to be great in the 100 - 800 range, beyond that it seems to drop off in noise performance (still ok, but not as well as I expected). Fortunately I shoot most (if not all) of my images in the lower ISO range, so I end up with images Im quite happy with.

Michael
Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Tilt (Michael)

Quote:
Maybe try saving to a memory card to see if the issue is interference.
Worth a try, I'll give it a go next time.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Andrew,

I agree. The Mark III was what made me more cautious about Canon's technical abilities etc.

My Mark IIn is a dog, with more issues than I'm happy with (FireWire is dead on it, I suspect the SD slot is troublesome, audio recording doesn't seem to work, at least the few times that I've tried it).

I still may just settle for a D3 and flash + macro lens combo and forgo everything else, but not until I've settled myself down astro wise.

Dave

Quote:
It doesn't look like Canon will concentrate on IQ, the mega pixel war has truly begun.
I began to loose faith in their quality control when the 1D MkIII had it's issues. At least with the 5D MkII they patched the black dot problem with firmware.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:05 PM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

Quote:

Michael
Michael, I have taken plenty of long exposures with the 50D and not seem any hint of banding. I think RB's suggestion of saving to the compact flash would be the best.

I have seen plenty of comment on the noise with the 50D when it first came out. Part of this was sparked by a dpreview which didn't use the latest and greatest Canon software (DPP) for processing the images. The rest of this was a fault of the Canon marketing where it was inferred a stop or more of improvement in noise.

Most of the more recent comparisons on noise show the 50D only very slightly behind the 40D (and for the most part hardly identifiable in normal use) particularly if the right software is used. This is a pretty reasonable result on an engineering front given the pixel count has increased by one half (10Mp to 15Mp) on the same size chip.

The feature set on the 50D over the 40D in my opinion is certainly worth it for the barely perceptible (in normal use) drop in noise performance.

If you are getting noisy terrestrial images (with iso 1600 or above) perhaps try over exposing a 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop. A lot of "noisy" images just aren't correctly exposed - tending to be underexposed.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_south View Post
The feature set on the 50D over the 40D in my opinion is certainly worth it for the barely perceptible (in normal use) drop in noise performance.
Spot on Andrew, I agree with all you've said.
If I was to upgrade now I'd be seriously looking at the 50D.

It will be interesting to see what Canon will release in the 1D series too.
Hopefully by then the 5DII will come down a little but I'm in no hurry, I'm happy with the 5D for now as a FF body.

BTW Michael, does the band show up in darks?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Also, for astrophotography, try using a AC-DC power source, rather than the battery. See if that makes a difference.

For all my astrophotography, ever since I began, I used a power source, instead of battery, and have never noticed a single band. If they did occur, it was my own fault for not taking correct flat lights.

Dave, if you're finished with your photography/Canon gear, may I have it?

I started on a 300D, then 350D, 40D (modified) and now a 5D Mark II, along with L-series glass, and I can't be happier. You mention quality control issues, etc., I've had no problems with my 5D Mark II. I haven't even upgraded the firmware -- no black dot problem for me. It may have been in the very, very first batch that went out. Mine could have been affected, as I ordered mine in October last year (received in January this year).

I've also just taken mine to New Zealand where it exhibited no problems in the ocean spray when I was shooting from the bow of a boat, or in the rainforest. Granted, the camera was completely sealed due to a filter fitted to the lens.

Regards,
Humayun