Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Some galaxies and Antennae sketch

Dear all,

Here are some notes and a from two rudely interrupted nights' observing. May 2010seems to be the month of high altitude haze which suddenly thickens into dense cloud. This seems to correlate with far dewier nights than I'm used to in Autumn.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Telescope 400mm f4.9 tri-dob reflector
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Guiding: Night Sky Observer’s Guide (NSOG)

6/5/2010

Seeing excellent 1/5
Transparency – some high altitude haze 5/7

NGC 4565 GX in Coma Berenices

135X Appears quite spectacular in spite of some light pollution from Bendigo to the north, edge on disc which seems to span 18’ bright thin streak NW-SE with bright nucleus. A faint star to the north-east with distinct dust lane cutting across nucleus and haze of nucleus projecting beyond the dust lane. 175X details remain quite distinct.

NGC 4038+9 “Antennae galaxies” in Corvus

see sketch

A few degrees SW of Spica

NGC 5077 galaxy group in Virgo.
175X A V-shape of 3 galaxies pointing away from a foreground star. 5077 is the northernmost of the 3 and is significantly brighter than the other 2, listed as mag 11. The others are mag 13. 5077 is a small oval with bright nucleus with a small patch overlaid requiring averted vision, which could be a foreground star or might be something else. This gives the impression that the nucleus of the galaxy is a tad offset. About 4’ to the SE is NGC 5079 which is larger with no stellar core or visible structure and is somewhat fainter than 5077. The same distance to the SW of 5077 is NGC 5076 another faint galaxy with some central concentration, but not as marked as 5077. Small and ore concentrated than 5079. 15’ to the ENE is NGC 5088 – more distinct than 5076 & 5079 with more central concentration and partly edge on.

At this point the haze almost instantly transforms into thick cloud.

8/5/10

Seeing excellent 1/5
Transparency – some high altitude haze 5/7

Hickson Galaxy Group 44 in Leo

175X NGC 3190 appears as a partly edge-on spiral with farily bright nucleus with disc oriented roughly E-W. Nearby to the NE is NGC 3193, a round halo near 90 Leonis, with bright core and small halo. NGC 3187, which looks so spectacular in photographs is discernible as faint thin haze with no detail. I cannot make out the lovely bent arms on this one. To the south is NGC 3185,
near 99 Leonis, visible as faint circular haze with the hint of a nucleus. 250X increases brightness of all members. More of the disc of 3190 is visible and the dust lane becomes apparent. 3187 is easier to see but no detail apparent. 3185 shows more distinct halo and stellar core. I can also make out a faint bar running roughly parallel to the disc of 3190.

Hickson Galaxy Group 58 in Leo

Very faint. I think I can make out the 5 galaxies, but with no detail.

Hickson Galaxy Group 57 in Leo

250X All I can really make out are a few faint blotches in 2 distinct areas of patchy haze.

Hickson Galaxy Group 62 in Leo

175x to the north of a foreground star are 2 merging halos with distinct nuclei, the westernmost being the fainter. A third galaxy is visible to the northeast. On the opposite side of the foreground star is a faint smudge, which may be another galaxy. 250X does not improve things much

NGC 4594/Messier 104 Sombrero Galaxy in Virgo

Weary of the very faint, I visit an old and bright friend for a freshen up. Beautiful nucleus and dust lane. Yum. I note that the image comes and goes as high haze moves in. I wonder if this is why some of my Hickson’s have been a bit hard to see.

NGC 4608 GX in Virgo

175x Small halo elongated E-W with bright nucleus. 20’ to its west is

NGC 4596 GX in Virgo

175x Looks about twice the size of 4608 with similar brightness and appears more circular.

IC 3608 GX in Virgo

175x Faint elongated haze running E-W, looks like an edge-on spiral

NGC 4567, 4568 GX in Virgo

175X Before the haze rapidly thickens to dense cloud, I get a brief glimpse of 2 spiral galaxies merging to from a distinct V shape. They are reminiscent of the Antennae galaxies, but the merger tends to look like a V than the U of the Antennae.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (antenna may 10 gimped.JPG)
51.8 KB54 views
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM
orestis

Wow an Amazing sketch of the antenae galaxies,top stuff Patrick.

I'll have to check this pair out and see how much detail i can grab out of my 130mm compared to your 400mm,it would be interesting to see what result i would come up with.Do you have dark skies?

Thanks for a great read,
regards Orestis
Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 PM
pgc hunter

Fantastic sketch, well done!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

Great sketch and some nice faint galaxies spotted. I'm not sure how many of the Hickson groups I could see though. Many are too faint for me.
Old 13-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks all. Orestis, I used your suggestion of photographing my sketch rather than scanning it and this helped retain the detail, so thanks for the advice. I found that this worked better with no flash as it was less washed out. I do have good dark skies except low on the northern and eastern horizons where the looms of Bendigo and Melbourne intrude. Otherwise mag 6-6.5. I'll be very interested to see how you go - you have young eyes and very good observing skills so I think you'll do well. Paul, some of them are very faint - I am always amazed at what Sab and Les are able to pick out with some of the fainter galaxies.
Old 13-05-2010, 06:10 PM
orestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Thanks all. Orestis, I used your suggestion of photographing my sketch rather than scanning it and this helped retain the detail, so thanks for the advice. I found that this worked better with no flash as it was less washed out. I do have good dark skies except low on the northern and eastern horizons where the looms of Bendigo and Melbourne intrude. Otherwise mag 6-6.5. I'll be very interested to see how you go - you have young eyes and very good observing skills so I think you'll do well. Paul, some of them are very faint - I am always amazed at what Sab and Les are able to pick out with some of the fainter galaxies.
I'm glad it worked out for you .thanks for the comments.

regards Orestis