Old 23-03-2007, 10:00 AM
PeteMo (Pete)
Bagdad astro nut

Software for pro border around photos

HI
I notice that some of you photographers have a professional looking border with the copyright info etc around your images.
What software do you use to do this please?
Cheers
Pete
Old 23-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Scorpius (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMo View Post
HI
I notice that some of you photographers have a professional looking border with the copyright info etc around your images.
What software do you use to do this please?
Cheers
Pete
Photoshop9.0 CS2 Pete. (and others interested)

On the control bar click on image and select canvas size, then enter 3 px for height and width and color white click OK then do the same again and enter 50 px in the boxes and select color black. You now have a frame 3 px wide in white and 50px in black. Then select Text tool from panel and enter what info you wish in a contrasting color usually w on b or b on w Go to image and select image size if you wish to reduce the picture to a standard size ie 800 or 1000 px which is suitable for mailing or adding to a web page. Save in JPG format for webs recommended quality 5 so its not massive.

If you wish to print the Picture then you can save it full size in .TIF or Bitmap. Always remember when converting files from TFF, BMP etc to JPG you are degrading the picture by highly compressing it. Re-processing a JPG further degrades the picture and it cannot be restored. So always keep the original files in archive and modify copies.

The photos I am publishing on here and in emails are reduced from 3200PX wide 23M files to 800Px wide average 80K files that is a huge reduction. Something has to give, but for "show and tell" this is quite satisfactory.

Here are examples of Both cropping and reducing of a Western Magpie and a Grey Currawong at Dryandra last Sunday arvo 19th March. With reverse color border and without borders and no text on the picture or frame.
Photoshop also has a facility to place watermarks on pictures to prevent people plagiarising them. You will see a lot of these on EBay photos.

Trust you and others find this useful.

Enjoy ...happy processing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0884_1.jpg)
108.3 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0884_2.jpg)
81.7 KB34 views

Last edited by Scorpius; 23-03-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 23-03-2007, 11:40 AM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

or a lot of people use Noel Carboni's Astronomy Tools ($15 from memory) which does this as well as a hots of other astronomy actions
Old 23-03-2007, 11:58 AM
PeteMo (Pete)
Bagdad astro nut

Hi Dave
Thanks for that. I'm using GIMP v2.2 so I'll have look, as this program falls somewhere between PaintShopPro and PhotoShop.
Old 23-03-2007, 04:08 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

The other option in Photoshop is to do as Dave has suggested but only do the 50 px bit. Then using the rectangular marque outline the picture (not the extra white bit) and then go Edit>Stroke> then select your line width, colour, blending, position (inside middle (?) outside) and then OK. Deselect the marque and then fill the outer white area now with any colour you like. I sometimes make a pattern fill from a portion of the image. That can look nice.

Have a play around and see if Gimp has similar features.