Old 28-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Not very professional, I'm afraid.

Have spent the last 3 weeks enjoying star hopping with my new 12"GSO Dob and as yet I've not become entirely formalised in my approach. Be that as it may, I was admiring Jupiter on Friday night (27th-about 11 pm or thereabouts) and I'd put in the 15mm ep and I thought Jupiter looked a little distorted on the right hand side. Kept observing on and off for about half an hour and eventually I could discern one of the moons (no, I don"t know which one) coming out from behind Jupiter.
I guess it's no big deal and I know this is a shocking report, but I'd never seen it before and I thought it was spectacular!
Old 28-06-2008, 07:38 PM
MikeyB (Michael)

Professionalism is optional, enthusiasm is mandatory! (IMHO) That excitement with the first glimpse of something through the scope is a wonderful feeling - thanks for sharing.

Incidentally, there's a great piece of freebie software that keeps track of where Jupiter's major (Galilean) moons and Great Red Spot are at, all in real time: Jupiter 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (onglet1.jpg)
87.7 KB37 views
Old 28-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Ah, thank you my friend. Just what I need!
My first view of Saturn through Gargoyle Steve's scope really put the astronomy hook into me but I can see that Jupiter and it's moons may turn out to be a long term personal project.
It really was a magical moment; the more so since it was totally unexpected.
Guess I'm a blind pig too.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:04 AM
Bobj

Saw Jupiter last night and I was really pleased to see a moon just on the edge of the big planet. Must have a squiz tonight and use the laptop to check out on Jupiter 2.
Thanks for that link, MikeyB.