Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives

Old 27-09-2020, 12:49 PM
VPAstro (Andrew and Cam)

SBIG ST2000xm CCD Camera

I am selling our SBIG ST2000xm CCD Camera with CFW8 filter wheel and Custom Scientific LRGB filters. This has been our main imaging camera for the last several years after purchasing it in 2016 from another IIS member to upgrade from our DSLR.
It has the upgraded KAI-2020M ccd as well as a TC-237H CCD for Self-guiding. I have never used this function as it doesn't work with APT, but I believe it does with SGP and MaximDL.

Information can be found here:
http://www.company7.com/library/sbig...2000xm_new.htm
and images we have taken with this camera are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/185680...57716139856537

Included in the sale is the Camera, electronic filter wheel, Custom Scientific LRGB filters (green filter has a mark around the rim and was likethis when I got it. It is outside of the field of view of the CCD so does not impact on the image), power supply and cord, original hard case with keys and original bound operating manual.
Unfortunately, I cannot offer pickup at this stage, only postage with
insurance.
Asking $945.00 including postage and insurance
Thanks
Andrew...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.JPG)
135.1 KB155 views
Click for full-size image (2.JPG)
128.1 KB118 views
Click for full-size image (3.JPG)
73.0 KB131 views
Click for full-size image (4.JPG)
74.2 KB138 views
Click for full-size image (5.JPG)
98.1 KB111 views
Click for full-size image (6.JPG)
146.6 KB117 views
Click for full-size image (7.JPG)
126.1 KB109 views
Click for full-size image (8.JPG)
114.3 KB87 views

Last edited by VPAstro; 17-10-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:15 AM
VPAstro (Andrew and Cam)

Hi all, I will include postage with insurance Australia wide. This would be a great camera for someone looking to move from DSLR to mono CCD imaging as we did.
Thanks,
Andrew...
Old 05-10-2020, 05:11 PM
Manoocher (Manoocher)

Purchase of SBIG ST2000xm CCD camera

Hi Andrew,
I am new in astrophotography using DSLR. I am a kind of familiar with using it, but have no idea about using mono CCD camera, filters and processing. I know you have experienced DSLR to CCD transition. I appreciate if you would advice the followings:
1- Why moving away from using DSLR? I have problem with DSLR to take DSO perfect images. Would your gears give me a better option?
2- How easy and time consuming it is to use mono CCD/filters/etc.
3- I have spend enough money for my current setup. How reliable is you gears: to eliminate equipment mal-function from knowledge of using it.
4- I was about buying a ZWO camera which is cheaper, but not perfect. Is there any room to reduce the cost of your gears?

Kind regards, Manoocher
Old 05-10-2020, 05:35 PM
VPAstro (Andrew and Cam)

Hi Manoocher,

Thanks for your message. When we moved from DSLR (canon 600d) to this camera, it enabled us to produce substantially better images than we would with the dslr. We found the CCD to be more sensitive, and able to handle noise a lot better due to cooling. It is, however, a very big learning curve to image with a mono CCD. With a DSLR, you capture one set of frames and process them, with a mono CCD camera, you need to take sets of frames for each of the filters (LRGB). This means imaging sessions can be up to 4 times as long, stacking a calibrating each of the frames taken with individual filters, and then combining and processing to achieve the final result. I feel that our images are far better than what we could have produced if we had have stayed with our DSLR. I have never had any failures with the SBIG, and it has performed flawlessly for the years that I have had it, and neither did the original owner who is also on IIS. Keep in mind that this is an older camera, with a smaller sensor than your APSC sensor and really requires a lot of work to produce good images, but it can be done if you look at our images on the flickr link in the original post.

Andrew...

Last edited by VPAstro; 05-10-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:25 PM
Manoocher (Manoocher)

Many thanks for your honest reply. I imaging it will be lots of work for a guy just started. Good luck with selling the gears. Regards, Manoocher
Old 06-10-2020, 07:59 AM
VPAstro (Andrew and Cam)

Thanks Manoocher. Good luck with your imaging.
Andrew...
Old 15-10-2020, 08:17 AM
VPAstro (Andrew and Cam)

Price has been reduced to $945.00 including postage and insurance.
Thanks
Andrew...