Old 06-01-2010, 04:32 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Canon 1D MKII for astro?

HI Guys.

I just picked up a 1D MKII with a canon 24-105mm F4 IS USM zoom lens for $700 bucks, pretty happy with that price. My partners father is closing down his photography business and offered me first dibs on it. Sold.

Does anyone have any experience with these cameras for astro work? It's pretty heavy but I have the ac power adaptor for it so that brings the weight down a fair bit. One very cool feature is that it has two processors built in and can take darks whilst it is taking lights. No sure what kind of extra heat thats going to creat though.

I'd be interested to hear anyones experience with this camera.

Thanks
Sandy
Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Sandy,

That's a beautiful camera and lens combination you've picked up there.

You'll find that it will do well for astrophotography. Although, bear in mind, that it is of the older generation and that the noise characteristics will pale in comparison to even the cheaper entry-level Canon's available today.

However, use it for terrestrial use and it will shine.

As far as my understanding goes, I don't think your claim of it being able to take dark frames whilst capturing lights is true... the sensor would be exposed to photons. Dark frames work by exposing with the shutter closed. I'm no expert on that camera, though, and could be wrong.

H
Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Thanks Humayun.

Maybe the noise reduction works diffently on this camera then, perhaps it doesnt subtract darks, because it's doing something when I take a long exposure, the red light comes on for the same length of time as the previouse exposure, yet I'm still able to take light frameswhist the processing is happening.
More research required I think.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Sandy,

Are you sure that's not high ISO noise reduction taking place in the background, and, not long exposure noise reduction/dark frames?

H