Old 15-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Hi There all,,,

A clear night coming up by the look of it, long time coming, as some of you know Im the goober with thousands of bucks worth of gear that doesnt know how to use it...

Ive practiced on O Neb and and happy with what I got, I did the Omeg, and surprised myself.. Now what would be the next reccomended DSO for for this gear and a bloke thats still learning...

Dont make it hard one, I want easy ones for my self confidence...

Thanks All..

Shawn

Old 15-05-2007, 04:36 PM
duncan
Duncan

Hi Shawn,
Well having not done any imaging yet myself It's hard for me to say. But last night at about 9 till 10pm i was looking at the galaxies in Leo. I was using my 32mm & 15mm eyepieces. Could see them easily enough but need to catch these babies on cam. Almost directly overhead, just slightly North. Hope this gives you something to chase.
Cheers,
Duncan
Old 15-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Hi Shawn,
Well having not done any imaging yet myself It's hard for me to say. But last night at about 9 till 10pm i was looking at the galaxies in Leo. I was using my 32mm & 15mm eyepieces. Could see them easily enough but need to catch these babies on cam. Almost directly overhead, just slightly North. Hope this gives you something to chase.
Cheers,
Duncan

Theres lots of them up there Duncan, which is the easiest to get a good image of, Ive tried a couple, but the images were , well crap really.. To be honest, And yes Its my inneptitude behind the camera that caused it.. The Leo Trio maybe , gets posted a lot, is that one for a learner, ?

S
Old 15-05-2007, 04:49 PM
duncan
Duncan

Don't think it matters Shawn. I did find one just a bit lower and slightly to the west, it looked like the Sombrero thru the eyepiece but can't be sure. However mate practice makes perfect and when i get my Gstar i'll certainly be trying them.
Old 15-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Thanks Duncan, Leo it is , Ill have a scavenge , see what happens,,, having just looked at the Leo Trio, It doesnt look like they would all fit in my FOV, that cant be right can it, ???

S
Old 15-05-2007, 04:59 PM
duncan
Duncan

I dunno Shawn, using the 32mm in my 12"dob i think at one stage i did have two in the same field. Then i got carried away and upped the mag,LOL.
I think i'd try to get my tracking spot on and push the limits so to speak. I'll be very interested in how you go. I'll be out observing visually till 10 or 11 and then might drop in here for an hour or so. Hope you manage to get some good shots.
Cheers,
Duncan
Old 15-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

So I could be right , they wont all fit, Im going to give it a go, but I may have to do it two sessions, Im up to it,,, Now Wheres Leo...
Old 15-05-2007, 05:13 PM
duncan
Duncan

Shawn do a search on google for a programme called "MY SKY". It's only fairly basic but it gives you a really good idea of what part of the sky to look at. I use it regularly,(i need to LOL).
Cheers mate
Old 15-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

I use CDC most of the time Duncan, In fact I use , a whole bunch of proggies.
CDC for pionting, Maxims guiding Kernel for Guiding , and Imagaes Plus for camera control... I have not found one yet that does everyrhing in a way I can drive it,,,
Old 15-05-2007, 05:24 PM
duncan
Duncan

Thats a fair enough comment. I'm only new to all of this but i'm enjoying learning where stuff is in the sky. I'm hoping that i'll have my Gstar cam by xmas. Just in time for the monsoons LOL.I'm also keeping an eye on JJJnettie as she has just got a Gstar. It will be interesting to see how she develops with it.
Cheers,
Duncan
Old 15-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Absolutely its a lot of fun, I really enjoy my little expededitions to the Obs, But occasionally I ned to go back to the house, you know re-familiarise myself with the layout of the house, and the childrens names...... But Im set , for the evening. everything is talking to everything else, In theory if it stays this clear , I may end up with something worth posting...

Old 15-05-2007, 05:45 PM
duncan
Duncan

Well i hope it all goes well for you Shawn. I'll catch up later, i'm having dinner and then out i go. And yes i can understand the need to re-familiarise,LOL.
Cheers,
Duncan
Old 15-05-2007, 07:49 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Shawn, try M83 face-on spiral Galaxy. Easy to find and easy to fit into the FOV of a camera
Old 16-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Ill give that one a whirl Ken , cheers, failed dismally at the trio, ill post the image when Ive processed it anyway, Im up for a laugh...:>)
Old 16-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Shawn, my first images were of the Trifid and Eagle Nebulas. I found that were pretty good targets in Scorpius.
All images good or bad are great experience and another step up the learning curve.

Cheers