Old 29-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

New 40D, cheap. I is happy, boy!

Just got to gloat. Popped into Stallard's Camera House today and picked up a new Canon 40D with 18-55 IS lens for $1549.

(And Sue taught me a magic little phrase: "Is that your best price?" Well, it was, but they threw in 3 years of warranty (RRP $199) for nix. Free camera case, too. Oh, and a CF card...)

Love it! (I think I will do all my shopping after Christmas from now on.)

Now I just got to figure out how to use it. Polyglot manuals and THREE CDs to load. Buttons and dials everywhere. Little screen on top. Hey, what's this thing..? Oops.
Old 29-12-2008, 06:02 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Good one. Welcome to the 40D club I got mine just a few weeks ago. I got the camera and 17-85mm IS lens for $1655. I too am a happy boy.

Don't worry about all the discs/books etc. You really only need to load up the 'Solution Disk'. That's where Digital Photo Professional, EOS Utility etc is to be found.

Another disc is a product promo disc which you can toss, and the other is software instruction manuals (for the aforementioned programs which are on the Solutions disc) which are handy but not needed to get you started. Just have a play with the software once you take a few snaps. The apps are quite intuitive.

As for the camera, the pocket guide and full booklet are very handy.

I'm enjoying mine, and have started to come to grips with a lot of its features.
Old 29-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)

Thanks, Matt. Yeah, I like to learn by doing. (Which often means quite a bit of undoing.) Ah, I can see that the battery has just finished charging...
Old 29-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

I saw a DVD in Photocontinental (Mt Gravatt, Brisbane) which walks through all the functions of the 40D. I think it’s produced by the same outfit that produces the “Magic Lantern Guide” for the Canon 40D, which is also available at Photocontinental.

Cheers

Dennis

PS - Here is a YouTube excerpt.
Old 29-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)

Thanks Dennis. Seems as though there are some excellent resources about. I'm presently feasting on various on-line tutorials.
(Sue is presently taking photos of beads. I'll jes nevva unnerstan wimin.)
Old 31-12-2008, 12:02 AM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

Congrats on the 40D. I just received my 50D today (it is very similar to the 40D ... can I join the club, or do I get some associate membership?? ). I am upgrading from a 400D and I have to say that the ergonomics of the camera, the operation, the menus and options and the mirror / shutter sound are just great. A very happy boy at this end