Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Eye-Fi card : how does it work ?

Searching the internet about how this works but to no avail.

What I have:
a Canon eos 7 with SD card to CF adapter so I can (and do) use SD and can thus use Eye-Fi card.

What I want:
My camera is outside taking astrophotos and sometimes in between I want to download the pictures (RAW) directly over Wifi to my Macbook or Galaxy S2 without touching my camera. I have a Wifi network.

What I ask:
Is this possible (the eye-fi has a kind of shared folder accessible from Mac OS or Android which should be SMB) or should I 'push' the pictures from my 7d to the computer ?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 AM
luigi

I think it's possible if the camera sees the wifi network while outside.

You need the Eye-Fi pro to transfer RAW files, the "regular" eye-fi is only for JPGs.

You have to consider that the camera can't be taking photos and transferring them at the same time. So the camera will only transfer once it has stopped shooting. Big RAWs take time to transfer over Wi-Fi and consume battery.

I have considered this for the same practical reasons as you -I guess- but decided it was just easy to transfer via the USB cable once the capture is over.