Old 17-09-2009, 10:51 AM
pgc hunter

Observations 15/9/09

On the promise of clear skies on Tuesday, the day ended being cloudy, in typical Melbourne fashion. Observing conditions weren't particulalry good, as high cloud was moving thru during the night. The sky was also white with haze. As such, transparency was poor, and seeing was average, nothing to write home about, but not the worst I've seen. I had prepared a big list of galaxies to view, but with the unforecasted Melbourne Cloud, I figured I'll give the galaxies a miss and concentrate on PNe's and Glboular clusters. Although at this time of year, PNE and GC season is rapidly drawing to a close and by midnight, the main concentration of these objects getting too low, with galaxies the main stuff available for viewing.

Scope: 12" F/4.6 dob
time: 8pm-12am
seeing: 5/10
transparency: 2/5
temp: 8C
dew: Nil

NGC 6804
PNe in Aql, Mag V:12.0, Size: 62x49"

This PNe was visible as a faint blob of light with the 8mm LVW at 176x. The OIII filter improves contrast on this faint PNe significantly and with the 5mm LVW+OIII at 283x I could just make out an oval shaped annulus within a larger faint halo.

NGC 6803
PNe in Aql, Mag V:11.4, Size: 5x5"

This microscopic little blighter was completely stellar at all mags up to 283x! Infact while searching for it at low powers, I mistook it for a star and had to check it's location on the atlas numerous times. Finding it was easy enough, located approx 55' N of ngc6804 and the starhop to it was via a string of mag 8-9 stars.However recognising it from the field was impossible. I blinked with the OIII at 176x and sure enough, the PNe showed itself! At 326x, it was seen as a tiny round disk.

NGC 6934
GC in Delphinus, Mag V: 8.9, Size: 7'

Bright and granular with a condensed core. At 176x I could see 1 or 2 stars superimposed over core with granular halo. Increasing power to 283x bought out approx 5 stars in the halo and the granularity was more pronounced.

M72
GC in Aquarius, Mag V: 9.2, Size: 5.9'

Large, diffuse and not as concentrated as ngc6934. At 176x two stars were seen over core, increasing mag to 217x increased this number to 5-6 with a mottled halo. At 326x approx 15 stars were sprinkled over core and resolution of extremely faint stars in the halo was beginning to show. As far as M objects go, this one not particularly impressive! But then again neither was the seeing nor transparency

NGC 6752
GC in Pavo, Mag V: 5.3, Size: 20.4'

Apparently the 3rd best globular in the skies, and 2nd in terms of brightness of individual stars. That I believe....the members stars of this one are bright! Resolved at 44x but at 326x, the very bright member stars covered most of the FOV. It doesn't have the profile of 47Tuc for example, the halo stars seem to be arranged more in clumps and chains with dark lanes snaking snaking across the cluster, all superimposed on background haze. The hazy core seems to have an L-shape, with numerous superimposed faint stars glinting in and out of visibility.

IC 1297
PNe in Corona Australis, Mag V: 10.5, Size: 7x7"

Very small, although clearly nonstellar with the 32mm EP at 44x. At 176x it appeared as a tiny, pale blue circular orb. Strangely, if you stare directly at it, it completely dissapears! Avert you vision, and poof its instantly back in view as if someone flicked on a light switch! Increasing power to 353x with an OIII filter, I could make out a tiny, egg-shaped annulus. The eastern edge was brighter than the rest of the annulus, with what appeared to be a tiny bright knot at its southern corner. Later on I looked up DSS images of this object, and it is indeed an elongated annulus with a bright patch at its SE edge. Not a bad view considering the PNe was in the heat radiating off the house rooftop!

Attached is a sketch of IC 1297 @ 353x with OIII filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ic1297.jpg)
91.2 KB27 views
Old 17-09-2009, 11:23 AM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

You did well considering.
Old 17-09-2009, 11:25 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Excellent report. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
Old 17-09-2009, 03:35 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
You did well considering.
Conditions were certainly far from ideal, but if you choose your targets wisely in such cases (HSB objects such as OC's, GC's and small PNe) you can still have an enjoyable night
Old 18-09-2009, 12:04 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Great stuff as always, $ab. I feel guilty that I actually work at the BoM... glad you got your beast out.
Old 18-09-2009, 04:53 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Great stuff as always, $ab. I feel guilty that I actually work at the BoM... glad you got your beast out.
Doug my friend, where have you been? I haven't seen an obs report from you in like a year now!
Old 19-09-2009, 12:17 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi PGC,

Good to hear you had some clear sky again. As usual an interesting and informative read.

Re NGC 6804. My observing note in 1996 with 25cm is:

"x138 21'TF x181 15' TF. Mag 12.0 Size 62". Appears to have a lower S.B than 6781 (previous obs). Grows from indefinite edges, about 1' diameter with a modest central brightening, and possibly slightly elong in PA 90.Star off centre to NE, mag 12.5 to 13 est without UHC."

It is a bright and quite interesting PNe with 46cm. I did write it up in DSD in Aug/Sept 2008. Here is a brief relevant exerpt:

"At x247 in my 46cm, it is a fascinating object. The steely-grey disc is irregularly round, just over 1 arc-minute diameter and save for the feathery edges seems evenly illuminated. The progenitor star shines out weakly at centre and four other stars are involved — two of 14th magnitude on the west and northwestern edge are barely outside the halo, the 12th magnitude one just inside the northeast rim and another slightly fainter just outside.

Steve Gottlieb's notes from his site is:

18" (7/11/07): striking planetary at 450x, appeared elongated 4:3 WSW-ENE, ~60"x45". Three stars are involved including the 14th magnitude central star. A mag 12.5-13 star is at the NE edge of the halo and a mag 14.5 star is at the W edge with a mag 15 companion close SW. The surface brightness is irregular and weakest on the SW side and slightly brighter along the E side, giving a "horseshoe" appearance.

17.5" (7/11/99): at lower powers appears moderately bright, irregularly round, ~1' diameter with several stars involved or nearby. At 280x, the view is very unusual with three stars involved and others nearby. The brightest is a mag 12.5-13 star at the NE edge. The mag 14 central star is visible with direct vision. Finally, a mag 14.5-15 star is at or just off the west side. The planetary is slightly elongated 4:3 SW-NE with an irregular surface brightness. The rim appears brighter along the E and NE side and weakest at the west edge. Nearby stars include a mag 13 star ~1.5' NE (nearly on a line with the central star and the star on the NE edge) and a mag 15-15.5 star close SSW of the star at the west edge.

13" (8/5/83): moderately bright, elongated WSW-ENE. Unusual appearance as four faint stars are very near or involved including the faint mag 14 central star visible with averted vision. A mag 13 star is at the NE edge 27" from the center, a very faint mag 15 star is at W edge and a similar star is just NW. The rim is possibly slightly brighter on the E edge.

Certainly an interesting object! Newt time you get a clear sky and a chance to take a look at it (in Victoria about every 3rd year), try without the filter and see if you can see the central star and the stars on and outside the disc.

Re NGC 6934 -- Delphinus has two GCs which considering is is such a tiny constellation punches above it's weight. The other one is NGC 7006 which is probably the second most distant Milky Way GC in the NGC catalogue. 6934 is in all other respects easily the more interesting of the two.

My notes from an observation at Bargo (nearly dark site) 1997 with 25cm are and goodish seeing:

"x181 17' TF. Mag 8.9 Size 5.9'. Small but fairly prominent cluster found to the N of a bright mag 7 * by 30'. Close to 3' diameter, broad moderate to strong concentration to the centre. Seems quite granular in the outer halo with many sparkly points and a bright spot in the centre. Quite nice."

I also caught it at the same site (but with poor seeing) in 2004 with 46cm:

"x184 TF 27' Mag 8.9 Size 7.1. This cluster is found pretty much due E of a mag 9.5 * by about 12'. Between the star and the cluster is a couple of pairs and then another mag 9* which is superimposed just on the outliers. It is a bright and prominent object, in the order of maybe about 5-6' diameter, circular. Middling in concentration class, I'd say a 6 or 7. No class is provided in Megastar. Somewhere around moderately and evenly concentrated to the centre. No real pip in the centre. A fairly big halo outside central core peppered with faint mag 14 *s (lots) seeing is really lousy) With A.V there are at least several dozen faint stars resolved mostly nearer the edges."

Agree with your comment about M72 -- it is the probably poorest of the Messier GCs. There are dozens of southern GCs that are far superior but Messier never saw them -- not that that was his fault.

Re IC 1297, a very nice sketch BTW. I noted the colour as soft powder blue (similar to your description) but no real detail (from home) and it seemed round, hard edged and consistent surface brightness. The only image apart from the DSS of this PNe I could find is here:

http://www.astro.washington.edu/user...1.6.IC1297.jpg

Hoping to get some observing done this weekend out nr Bargo. Weather seems to be co-operating this time ...

Best,

Les D
Old 20-09-2009, 11:16 AM
pgc hunter

G'day Les, Thanks again for posting your observations Had no idea NGC 7006 is that far off, will make sure to catch it next clear night in 3 years time Yeah Delphinus does pretty well for its size, 2 globulars and a few PNe there aswell.

What size scope and magnification were you using on IC 1297? The annulus isn't particularly hard to see as it's HSB and takes mag well but being so small it is probably easily smudged by poor seeing.
Old 20-09-2009, 02:59 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi PGC & All

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
What size scope and magnification were you using on IC 1297? The annulus isn't particularly hard to see as it's HSB and takes mag well but being so small it is probably easily smudged by poor seeing.
In was 25cm from home x138 21' TF. That is my only recorded observation of it unfortunately. Will be sure to take a look at it again next autumn.

Best,

Les D
Old 20-09-2009, 04:10 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi PGC & All

In was 25cm from home x138 21' TF. That is my only recorded observation of it unfortunately. Will be sure to take a look at it again next autumn.

Best,

Les D
Ah, use as much magnification as possible on this one, as it's only 7" across. It's bright so takes power well, even in average seeing. 138x is nowhere near enough, go for atleast 300x, even if the seeing isn't cooperating

Last edited by pgc hunter; 21-09-2009 at 11:35 AM.