Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 PM
orestis

Obs Report 3/3/11

Hi Everyone,

I collimated the dob fairly well this time.I first looked at the Tau canis majoris cluster which was spectacular and am thinking of sketching thsi sometime soon.I then located the grand double 145 CMA about 2* off to the side of the cluster.This is a spectacular double best viewed out at low power to accentuate the colour contrast at 58X it was well seperated and the brighter star was an Orange-red and the second star as a light blue reminicent of albireo.Enjoyable view.

I then went off to the eta carinae complex and swam in there with the 32mm wide field pllososl which has a huge field of view,truly amazing view of thsi nebula.

I saw the large maggalenic cloud and after reading Paddy's comments on what i would be able to see in the lmc I went straight to the Tarantula nebula whcih was jaw dropping beautiful sight.So detailed and the contrast between the tendrils and the dark lanes was spectacular.I then swam in the LMC and enjoyed every lttle knot of nebulosity.

I noticed Crux creeping higher into my view and centred the scope on Ngc 4755(jewel box) which was great in the dob with the colours shown up very nice,this has to be one of the most colourful open clusters I have obsererved yet.

I tried to locate Ngc 3132(eight burst) but failed in locating it,this must be a hard target to find maybe a OIII filter will help me a lot.After giving up trying to locate the eight burst,i went after the Eskimo in Gemini which was suprisingly easy to find But being low down in altitude the transperancy was not so good,but I still observed a bright star with a circle of haze around it with a bigger around it.I think the correct term is annular(?).It was quite a sight ,An enjoyable pne to view.250x brought it up nicely.

I was Hoping to maybe catch a glimpse of Saturn but it was too early in the evening and i packed it up as i had school the next day.

Thanks for reading
Cheers Orestis
Ps-unless otherwise stated all observations from now on will be with my new 12'' Dob

Last edited by orestis; 04-03-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Great report Orestis, thank you for sharing.
The Eight Burst is a toughy, an OIII filter will definitely help. Even Malcom (Barx) said it's not an easy one to find.
Look forward to more reports.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 AM
orestis

Thanks Suzy,

I wonder what makes it so difficult to observe,i think i have been scnning in the right are but all i see are stars,on the star chart that i have it says its not far off from a wide double in the area.I'll keep trying.

Regards Orestis
Old 07-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Beautifully written report Orestis. You have conveyed the experience very well.Glad you got the collimation sorted.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:35 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
Thanks Suzy,

I wonder what makes it so difficult to observe,i think i have been scnning in the right are but all i see are stars,on the star chart that i have it says its not far off from a wide double in the area.I'll keep trying.

Regards Orestis
Nice Report Orestis
See my observations of this object in my observation report
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=72643
Cheers
Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
orestis

Thanks guys,

Cheers Orestis
Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Re the eight burst, you will find it and you won't need a filter if you have reasonable skies. I spent quite a while trying to find it first time. Then like so many DSOs once you have found it a few times you'll plonk straight on it. As Ron and Suzy have said it will be modest under low power and loves magnification. Well worth finding.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I think Paddy showed the Eight Burst Neb to a few of us in his 16" at Snake Valley. From the Ooohs I heard it looked pretty good with the sort of power his scope can do.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:55 PM
orestis

Hi guys I found it yesterday and am now writing a reprot on it.As Paddy has said well worth finding.

Cheers Orestis
Old 09-03-2011, 07:07 PM
pgc hunter

Hey Orestis, reading your report of Eta Carina reminded me of one night I had observing Eta Carina. Try using about 200x in your 12" with a filter, the amount of detail, all the dark bays and gaps among the several FOVs of nebula it's an amazing sight.

cheers