Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Old 22-08-2007, 09:13 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Guess the only night in the next 15 for which rain is forecast for Melbourne!

Let's hope that forecast changes - Melbourne often runs 12-24 hours behind the forecast.
Old 22-08-2007, 05:19 PM
joshman (Josh)

i'll personally be up atop Mt Coot-tha taking my photos of the ecliipse., all are welcome to join assuming they're in brisbane. it's the best site i've found for such an event. lovely views of the moon rise, and clear sailing right up into the sky...now if only we could get all of brisbane to turn off their lights for the 5.5 hours it'll take....
Old 22-08-2007, 08:39 PM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

Hi all,

I'm really looking forward to this as well. It will be my first total eclipse ever.

Mike, your article is really informative. I will be giving the link to BHS members shortly after I finalise the details of the observing event I'm organising for the society. I am hoping to be able to set-up at Regatta Point in Canberra. IIS members are more than welcome to join us on the night The more the merrier.

Just a quick question: is it best to catch the very start of the eclipse (ie. the penumbral part) or should I organise the observing to begin just before the partial eclipse starts, or wait until the total eclipse starts? I am just worried that some people (not me of course) would get bored waiting around for the moon to be covered. They may not want to stay for the full duration of the eclipse or maybe they cannot stay for the whole eclipse (due to other committments, work/uni the next day, needing sleep etc). So I was thinking I should start the event at 7pm some time or maybe 7:30pm. Any advice?

Clear skies,
Silvie
Old 23-08-2007, 05:25 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Silvie

The penumbral stages are really very subtle in their effect on the moon, so most people won't be able to visually notice any difference - especially because the Moon will be so low anyway.

The partial stage is definitely visible and great to see, as the Moon starts getting covered by shadow. So I'd look at getting people together by around 6:30pm, to watch it start at 6:51pm. Of course it will be a fairly slow progression, covering the moon over the hour following.

I hope that "the general public" don't expect something magical to happen before 6:51, and give up in disgust.

Good luck with your get together!
Old 23-08-2007, 01:55 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yep, it's changed - now mainly clear , with wind gusts to over 40 kph

Better wait another day or two and see what happens!

UPDATE Friday:- "partly cloudy" wind forecast has dropped to 22 kph gusts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Guess the only night in the next 15 for which rain is forecast for Melbourne!

Let's hope that forecast changes - Melbourne often runs 12-24 hours behind the forecast.

Last edited by erick; 24-08-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 24-08-2007, 05:43 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Weather is looking fantastic for Tuesday. Looks like there's nothing in the vicinity that will spoil this event, at least weather-wise

Gotta go scouting on the weekend for suitable photographic locations!
Old 24-08-2007, 06:52 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Weather is looking fantastic for Tuesday. Looks like there's nothing in the vicinity that will spoil this event, at least weather-wise

Gotta go scouting on the weekend for suitable photographic locations!
Thought of that but 240V is looking rather good to me. If the weather is clear I will be imaging it from home, I will have both rigs going, the G11 and the 10" LX200R for the first time with the pentax K10D with the ed80 on top and on the other rig the celestron c8 viewing with the ed80 guiding and a side by side mount with the canon 400D and the 200mm F2.8 lens. Set up full dew control with dew straps and put on the radio, bottle of red to mark the occasion (maybe the wife might join me out under the stars for a quaff) Hopefully going to borrow a canon 300D to take some wide field shots. Need to white balance the modded camera in case I use that????

will have the 20x80's available with the 10x50's for the kids to have a close up and keep them off the gear

LOL all i have to do is get focussed, and watch my settings, and remember to have the empty CF card in the camera
Old 24-08-2007, 08:22 AM
PhilipND

An ideas of where to go around Melbourne to see the eclipse

Hi guys,
New to the forum.....

Any ideas on where to go near the SE suburbs of Melbourne to see the lunar eclipse?

Thanks

Philip
Old 24-08-2007, 09:04 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Philip!

Well, your back yard will be just fine if you have a clear view to the East.
Even photographing from there would be fine. You want to be able to see from 10 deg elevation to about 55 deg elevation to see (from about 6:30 to 11:00).

Jells Park in Wheelers Hill would be good views - the Moon would rise over the Dandenongs, a little south of east.

But if you want darker skies, head on up the Dandenongs - early, to find a clear view to the east from Emerald or Cockatoo or Gembrook. Get on the eastern side of the towns, if you want to avoid having lights in your line of vision.

Now, if you want to stay in town, have company and look through telescopes, the Astronomical Society of Victoria is having a viewing night from Richmond:-

ALL MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC WELCOME.
The ASV is running a public open night to view the total eclipse of the Moon on Tuesday 28th August commencing at 6:45pm. The venue is Victoria Gardens Richmond (Ikea shopping centre) with telescopes set up on the car park top deck.
Gold coin admission and parking will be available on lower deck.

See:- http://www.asv.org.au/

Happy viewing! Tell us what you see.

Eric
Old 24-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Donna Coleman

Hi eric,
thanks for the information abour viewing the lunar eclipse from the Eastern suburbs. I live in the dandenongs but am worried about the trees obscuring viewing so might join people in the city - will it be dark enough in Richmond?
regards
Donna
Old 24-08-2007, 03:53 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

The weather forecast for me isn't the best. Partly cloudy to mostly cloudy depending on the forecast I look at. With westerly winds, I might have to look at going east to get on the other side of the divide...

If I could be sure of getting clear sky there I'd go to Kanangra Walls and get the lights of Sydney in shot as well, but if it's not reliable I can't go significantly east any further. So I might have to look at the Blue Mountains I suppose...

Al.
Old 24-08-2007, 04:31 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Coleman View Post
Hi eric,
thanks for the information abour viewing the lunar eclipse from the Eastern suburbs. I live in the dandenongs but am worried about the trees obscuring viewing so might join people in the city - will it be dark enough in Richmond?
regards
Donna
Hi Donna

Certainly the full Moon will be bright enough! I haven't seen a fully eclipsed Moon over a bright city, but maybe, that's the point - it will be so much darker than the full moon. I have no doubt that through binoculars or telescope, the surface features will be seen and to the naked eye, a dark red-brown Moon will be seen.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a spot in the Dandenongs with a fairly clear view to the East (hint - Gembrook Sports Ground - but don't tell anyone - that's one of my secret observing locations! - but you need to go well to the South side to avoid trees?)

I'll be:-

1) lying on my bed crying if all Victoria is clouded over

2) driving as far north as I can to clear the cloud if it's only coastal

3) if clear, maybe heading for Gembrook, or

4) heading for another secret location north of Melbourne!

I'm sure the ASV at Richmond will be a fun gathering.

Eric
Old 24-08-2007, 05:06 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

I was over at Overclockers Australia and saw that someone had linked the posts about the eclipse to the ICE in space How to's :

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,409,0,0,1,0

Good the see iceinspace getting some some Internet "Air time" also quoting the site as a good source of data. Congrats to iceman.
Old 24-08-2007, 06:23 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
I was over at Overclockers Australia and saw that someone had linked the posts about the eclipse to the ICE in space How to's :

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,409,0,0,1,0

Good the see iceinspace getting some some Internet "Air time" also quoting the site as a good source of data. Congrats to iceman.
Thanks for the feedback. I noticed in the IIS stats that overclockers had linked to the article. A lot of other sites have as well.

If you search for "lunar eclipse" and "lunar eclipse 2007" in Google (worldwide), IceInSpace is ranked #2 and #1!!

It's great that people are going to be getting outside and looking at this event.. hopefully it will trigger more interest in Astronomy.
Old 24-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Starry Night Pro V6 simulated view

Hi Mike

Great article and great website information for this exciting event – well done to you and the IIS team!

Here is a simulated view garnered from Starry Night Pro V6. I exported 18 screen captures at 15 min intervals and assembled them in a 6:30pm to 10:45pm sequence using Layers in Photoshop CS3.

Camera, lens and focal length details are on the composite image. Simulated FOV approx 39° wide x 56° high.

Cheers

Dennis

PS - Note that the Lunar disc in the simulated view below is NOT to scale. Starry Night Pro "inflates" the Moon’s size for pictorial purposes when viewing at wide fields. See later post for scale views.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Lunar Eclipse Layers Flat Crop Text.jpg)
70.3 KB128 views

Last edited by Dennis; 26-08-2007 at 11:06 AM. Reason: PS added clarifying size of Lunar disc
Old 25-08-2007, 11:29 AM
impopia

I have a new camera and have always loved astronomy as a kid... so this is how I found this forum after reading about the upcoming eclipse -- good ol' Google! Wondering is anyone else from Townsville here?

Loved the page done here about it - very concise, simple and comprehensive down to photography hints too, wow. With the best flowering season for mangoes since 1979 (apparently) I plan to try some night shots tonight as a practice, run, stars again mango flowers, that is paradise (almost, hehe)

Glad to be here! Cheers, Donni
Old 25-08-2007, 11:36 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Donni, to IceInSpace!

There's a few here from FNQ. Good luck with the eclipse and I look forward to seeing your shots.
Old 25-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Here is a rather poor single, multi-exposure 35mm frame that I took of the total lunar eclipse of 16th July 2000. It was my very first, total lunar eclipse. Technical details are as follows:
  • Pentax KM 35mm film camera
  • 400mm f5.6 Sigma telephoto lens set to f11 for partial phases and f8 for totality.
  • Camera and lens mounted on Vixen GP GEM tracking at sidereal rate
  • Film was Kodak Gold 100ASA colour print film.
  • Full penumbra phase (1st and last images) 1/60 second at f11
  • Penumbra/Umbra phase (2nd and 6th images) 1/30 second at f11
  • Crescent phase (3rd and 5th images) ¼ second at f11
  • Mid-totality 3 minutes at f8
You can see the changing position of the Moon on the single negative, as the GP mount was tracking at the sidereal rate (as evidenced by pinpoint stars on the original negative). This is because the Moon actually moves from West to East against the backdrop of stars at a rate of about 13 degrees in 24 hours.

Next time, at totality, I’ll try to avoid kicking the tripod, á la H0ughy….

Cheers

Dennis

PS – some of the stars could be dust specks from the scanning process…
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Scanned Eclipse Crop Proc.jpg)
30.7 KB132 views
Old 25-08-2007, 04:00 PM
h0ughy (David)

thanks for that INfo Dennis, nice pic too. here are some of my own predictions. I predict that I will be using the Pentax k10D with the Meade Lx200R 10" and a celestron f6.3 focal reducer, and the Vixen R200SS with the Canon400D. Interestingly the ED80 and the Vixen almost have the same field of view, so the vixen wins out with a faster F ratio and resolution. I am looking forward to the results with the meade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (celestronC8cameraF6 (Large).jpg)
89.8 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (ed80camera (Large).jpg)
88.3 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (vixenR200SScamera (Large).jpg)
85.5 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (ed100andMeade10' camera comp (Large).jpg)
94.1 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (pentaxlx200rf63 (Large).jpg)
94.3 KB48 views
Old 25-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Dave

Wow – that is an impressive array of ‘scopes, mounts and sensors! As you well know, things can go wrong on these occasions.
  • Make sure that you have notes on each ‘scope/mount/sensor combo and what you want to achieve with it.
  • Jot down the types of images and image sequences you want to record.
  • Note details of optimum exposure times, etc. based on previous results.
  • Check that everything is working.
  • Make sure that sensors are in focus and check on a regular basis.
  • Ensure you have the necessary remote releases, etc.
It will be quite a challenge operating multiple systems so follow a written plan and operating procedures to minimise potential problems.

Good luck mate!

Cheers

Dennis

PS - declare the zone around tripods off-limits to avoid a repeat of your tragic Duckadang experience, and don't forget to check focus, and then check it again!