Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Exfso (Peter)

MS pull the latest windows 10 update

God can't they get it right, apparently the latest version 1809 has a huge problem when installed of deleting stuff. I believe they have suspended the upgrade until they can get it sorted. Now I know why I am steering clear of this pig. Another minus for forced updates.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-version-1809/

Last edited by Exfso; 08-10-2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: More information
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

I keep an eye on...
> https://www.askwoody.com/
for all the latest stuff-ups from MS.
Thankfully, my WIN 10 is on a separate drive (dual boot), but it ain't been booted ......yet.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I have an old OptiPlex PC that I installed windows 10 on to experiment, I downloaded the latest version last week and installed, just noted when trying to open it that Documents folder is totally empty and weird things are happening with the startup, so obviously my install is stuffed as well, currently going back to older version. Seriously the MS users are nothing but beta testers for their crap system, and in a lot of cases Alpha testers.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:05 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Synchronicity .

My work computer was upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 this morning. So far I've had a half day's use with no problems . At least I have an IT section that is supposed to make sure everything works and updates are checked before deployment.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I have gone back to the previous version, but whatever the latest version did it has trashed even the earlier version. Cannot get any browsers to work, seriously this system is total crap..Thank god this is on an experimental computer as it is totally useless at present, a bloody big brick.:mad2 :
Old 09-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I have had to download an earlier iso and do a complete fresh install, what a pain this would be to someone who has Windows 10 on their primary computer, seriously unstable stuff....
Old 09-10-2018, 06:22 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
I have gone back to the previous version, but whatever the latest version did it has trashed even the earlier version. Cannot get any browsers to work, seriously this system is total crap..Thank god this is on an experimental computer as it is totally useless at present, a bloody big brick.:mad2 :
If you wipe out win 10 and install an earlier version of Windows, then there is no way that the win10 install could have anything to do with the browser issue as you have removed all of that software and installed another set.

Depending on how you installed the previous version could be the reason you are having issues.

For example, if you installed Win 7 without SP1, then you may get major issues with browsers, I swear this is a built in MS virus forcing an upgrade!
The horrible 'BING' takes over!

If you installed with SP1 and the computers system time/date is out, then you will also get major issues with your browser and errors such as HTTPS security errors etc. Changing the date to current fixes this.

If you reinstalled by using an image, you may also get the issues as the Windows updates would not have been applied since you last used that image. Obviously, you would know how that was created so you would be the best judge on that one.

FWIW, I find Win 8.x a virus and Win 10, a terrorist.

Cheers,
Damien.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Yeah Damien, I know what you mean, I think it basically did a repair (not) and that sure as hell did not work, so I did a complete re-install of 1803 from a downloaded ISO and that appears to be working for now. Seriously this system is like a mine field..
Old 11-10-2018, 11:12 AM
pjphilli (Peter)

Windows 10 updated this morning - no problems that I can see.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Peter, MS have pulled version 1809 due to its problems, so I doubt you will be getting that unless you already downloaded it in the last week or so. If you have 1809 and all is well, you are very lucky, from what I can see it has caused huge issues all over due to documents going missing, and also in my case, none of the browsers working at all. It is a total MS stuff-up of the highest order, proven by the fact that they have removed it so no one can now download it.