Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-09-2018, 10:42 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Odd issueswith ZWO ASI1600mm Pro

Every 5ish subs I take my images end up with the attached issues.

Anyone seen this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (42806525_830993450624864_5369426882049605632_n.jpg)
13.5 KB95 views
Click for full-size image (42901913_301089097375420_3136855353480708096_n.jpg)
11.0 KB77 views
Old 30-09-2018, 11:07 PM
glend (Glen)

Is this a new camera? If it is still under warranty I would be sending it back. If it only happens every fifth image then it maybe software related, as a hardware fault would likely occur in every image. You could try updating the driver software. Might be worth an email to Sam at ZWO to ask for his advice.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:19 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Is this a new camera? If it is still under warranty I would be sending it back. If it only happens every fifth image then it maybe software related, as a hardware fault would likely occur in every image. You could try updating the driver software. Might be worth an email to Sam at ZWO to ask for his advice.
Yeah it is only a few months old. I don't know what to think of it considering it isn't every sub but I have a bad feeling something has happened to the camera itself. An email to Sam will be my best bet. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 PM
brisen (Brian)

Hi Jacob

This is similar to the issue with the Atik Horizon and the horizontal lines that were apparent in some of these - this is the same chip as in the one you have and the feedback from other sources indicates that this is actually a hardware issue.

Brian
Old 01-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I use the ASI 1600MM version for solar imaging.....
I haven't seen a similar issue/ problem.
Does sound like something is amiss.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:52 PM
glend (Glen)

There is a question in the ZWO forum that relates to horizontal lines:

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com...hp?f=21&t=7420

However, these lines appear more typical of earthing issues in the power supply, and Sam actually suggested changing the power supply.

I should point out that the ASI1600mm is generally regarded as a bullet proof camera, and it is rare they just fail. Cabling issues can be a problem, if USB3 cable extensions are used (they must be properly powered Active cables).
The Pro models do have the DDR buffer chip in them, which is designed to speed up downloads, and reduce AMP glow at certain Gain settings. Early models do not have the DDR chip.
Let's see what Sam has to say before jumping to conclusions.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:28 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
There is a question in the ZWO forum that relates to horizontal lines:

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com...hp?f=21&t=7420

However, these lines appear more typical of earthing issues in the power supply, and Sam actually suggested changing the power supply.

I should point out that the ASI1600mm is generally regarded as a bullet proof camera, and it is rare they just fail. Cabling issues can be a problem, if USB3 cable extensions are used (they must be properly powered Active cables).
The Pro models do have the DDR buffer chip in them, which is designed to speed up downloads, and reduce AMP glow at certain Gain settings. Early models do not have the DDR chip.
Let's see what Sam has to say before jumping to conclusions.
The power supply I use is the one that is sold on the ZWO website, which is the website I got it off.

I am running the USB cabling direct into my USB3 port on my laptop. I have my EFWmini and zwo asi120mm-s running into the 1600mm's usb ports.

Strange point to note though, is that my 120mm-s loses connectivity to phd2 every few minutes and then reconnects. I wonder if this is related
Old 01-10-2018, 03:45 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmitt94 View Post
The power supply I use is the one that is sold on the ZWO website, which is the website I got it off.

I am running the USB cabling direct into my USB3 port on my laptop. I have my EFWmini and zwo asi120mm-s running into the 1600mm's usb ports.

Strange point to note though, is that my 120mm-s loses connectivity to phd2 every few minutes and then reconnects. I wonder if this is related
You could try shooting some unguided subs (accepting that they won't be great quality) strictly for the purposes of testing without the 120mm connected to the port on the 1600. If you have an external powered port you could also try re-routing the 120mm through the powered hub instead of through the 1600. I have the original version 1, 1600mm-c so have always used a powered hub to route the guide camera to the laptop.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:47 PM
silv (Annette)

Quote:
I am running the USB cabling direct into my USB3 port on my laptop. I have my EFWmini and zwo asi120mm-s running into the 1600mm's usb ports. ... that my 120mm-s loses connectivity to phd2 every few minutes and then reconnects.
The EFWMini is a USB2 device and the asi120+160 are USB3. I don't know your operating system but Win10 is purposefully less lenient than Win8 with error handling of USB devices. (see for example 4.4, 4.5, 4.6 https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usb...b-3-0-devices/
I'm no expert in any of the related matters but my heart tells me that Glen is right and you could gain overall reliability from separating the USB power supply from the Windows (?) laptop altogether by connecting the devices via a powered USB-hub.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:24 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Check your settings in Win10 as well for USB devices - laptops could be dropping the power to the USB port after a period of time. And then the "reconnect" might trigger power on again.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

I've had this setup for months though and it is only now becoming an issue. I've always routed the 120mm-s and efwmini through the 1600mm pro and then into the usb3 port on my laptop. I did update my laptop lately though, maybe something new with the update is causing this?

I recently purchased a kendrick powered hub so I will test it with nothing routing into the 1600mm pro and put the efw mini and 120mm-s through the hub and see what happens.

I will also wait and see what Sam says.

Thanks for the advice all.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:23 PM
silv (Annette)

What Chris (lazjen) is suggesting translates to these steps:

Check your power management settings
Windows Key + X
> Click on Device Manager
> Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers
> Double-click the first USB Root Hub device in the list, and click the Power Management tab
> Un-check the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox & OK
> Do this for other USB Root Hub devices if listed
Reboot your computer.

Good luck
Old 02-10-2018, 03:16 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
What Chris (lazjen) is suggesting translates to these steps:

Check your power management settings
Windows Key + X
> Click on Device Manager
> Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers
> Double-click the first USB Root Hub device in the list, and click the Power Management tab
> Un-check the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox & OK
> Do this for other USB Root Hub devices if listed
Reboot your computer.

Good luck
Wow, I had all of that turned off, but I guess the windows update decided to change that

I will test it all tonight and hopefully it fixes the issue. thanks
Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Yes, I think I recall a Windows update messing with my settings at some point too. Very user friendly...not.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:36 PM
silv (Annette)

It's still mostly what I call Excel Brain type of people who program and develop hard and software. With low empathy scores, they don't want to nor can they imagine people's needs. That blind spot determines how they code and perform quality assurance.
Tragically, their "Excel Brain" contraptions have a direct impact on other people's brain circuity because of the ever growing prevalence of devices and software designed by (and for) Excel Brains in all our daily lives. That impact is like an amputation or clipping a bonsai. Lowering cognitive capabilities and psychological well being.
Even more tragic is the circumstance that Excel Brains intrinsically can't ask for input nor guidance from other brain types. And other brain types get timid around Excel Brains and swallow the arrogant instances of "can't be done" and therefore, even proactively, envision improvements or new design layouts according to assumed feasibilities and not according to the actual needs of other brain types. Over time, this possibly creates bonsais of 85% of the people in IT-addicted societies, a loss of versatility and capabilities, and psychological issues.

Sorry for the offtopic.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:26 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
It's still mostly what I call Excel Brain type of people who program and develop hard and software. With low empathy scores, they don't want to nor can they imagine people's needs. That blind spot determines how they code and perform quality assurance.
It could also have something to do with the fact that software is, by orders of magnitude, the most complex thing that humans have ever built. Also, that the consumers will vote with their wallets to pay for new, shiny features but not for reliability and robustness.

Back OT: it seems surprising that a power saving setting would cause problems on every 5th sub but stranger things have happened. Will be interested to hear how the testing goes. If you are still having problems it might be worth swapping the power supply if you can find a spare. Also, look at whatever else is going on at the same time in case it is interference from another device. Anything you can turn off, e.g. guiding and maybe even the mount, would help to isolate the problem.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

I had an every fifth sub issue with my ASI1600MM-Pro (not such a significant line but lines all the same). I resolved this by turning off Bluetooth and WiFi. This may not be possible with some setups of course!
Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

So I ended up getting a response from Vanessa at ZWO and she seems perplexed by the issue.

I haven't had the chance to set the gear up since the issue arose due to terrible sydney weather (I want to set everything up as I had to to isolate the issue), but once the weather clears up or I get a proper response from ZWO i'll keep everyone updated
Old 16-11-2018, 03:13 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Hi all,

for those who still care, I figured out the issue myself.

It seems that the 120MM-S didn't like being plugged into the 1600MM Pro as I had the 1600 going into a USB hub and the USB hub going into my USB2.0 port on my laptop. The 120MM-S does not agree with USB2.0 so it was doing some funky stuff and causing the whole system to mess up. As soon as i routed my 120MM-S through to the USB 3.0 on the laptop, the issues stopped!

I feel like such a goof for not even checking that first