Old 01-12-2014, 01:25 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

IR for Dummies : Take II

Been hunting around and finally found a reasonably priced 450D to have another go. Apparently the Autofocus does not work, great ! $70 ! even better ! SOLD !!

Need to buy T Ring and Batt Charger. Do I need an Intervalometer or can all that be managed via the PC ? Looking forward to having Live View as well. I'll get it going first then I'll have ago at the IR mod again and post pix and details up here for anyone interested.

Sweet !
Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM
gbeal

LOL, always on the prowl.
If you need an intervalometer, I might have one.
Have a Sony Alpha one, plus one that I believe is for Canon, neither are being used.
Mind you, BackYardEOS will be the way I reckon (it is for me, or was), and all you need is the USB connected.
Gary
Old 01-12-2014, 08:06 PM
sungrazer (Karen)

Magic lantern

Have a look at magic lantern for the intervalometer option

Cheers karen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Been hunting around and finally found a reasonably priced 450D to have another go. Apparently the Autofocus does not work, great ! $70 ! even better ! SOLD !!

Need to buy T Ring and Batt Charger. Do I need an Intervalometer or can all that be managed via the PC ? Looking forward to having Live View as well. I'll get it going first then I'll have ago at the IR mod again and post pix and details up here for anyone interested.

Sweet !
Old 01-12-2014, 08:25 PM
raymo

You can get an intervalometer for under $15 inc postage on ebay.
Mine works well.
raymo
Old 02-12-2014, 05:02 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
LOL, always on the prowl.
If you need an intervalometer, I might have one.
Have a Sony Alpha one, plus one that I believe is for Canon, neither are being used.
Mind you, BackYardEOS will be the way I reckon (it is for me, or was), and all you need is the USB connected.
Gary
Hi Gary, you know me, the DIY nutter. I reckon it's half the fun to this slightly obsessive hobby. Keeps me busy while the clouds scud by.

PC control is where I want to go with it, I'll see if I can get the USB connector online somewhere. Or I may even have a suitably plugged one somewhere at home.
T Ring and Battery charger (or external supply) are the priorities at present. Might even have a spare SD card somewhere.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungrazer View Post
Have a look at magic lantern for the intervalometer option

Cheers karen
450D is not listed in the supported models for ML unfortunately.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:18 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Phew, it works and looks good on test, my biggest worry was buying a 'lemon'.

I have a USB cable that fits and a 4gig SD card. I need a charger and T-Ring and I discovered it hasn't got a DC input plug. You have to buy a special connector which inserts into the battery housing, stupid. I've seen a charger deal which includes a battery.

I'll download BYE and see how that works. Anything else I need to look at ? Tether SW that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ? I haven't got the Canon SW CD so can't download their stuff, no license.

I'll see how it performs before I consider doing the IR mod.

EDIT: T-Ring and Charger\Batt combo ordered. Canon SW can be downloaded with serial #, tonight.

Last edited by ZeroID; 03-12-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

This camera may have been a better buy than I first thought.
It was sold as faulty, autofocus not working but I found the lens detente button stuck down so that any lens would not lock in place correctly. Now fixed and I might pick up or borrow a cheap lens to see if it is all going. T-Ring arrived so that is now 2" converted and I checked out Gary Honis's IR conversion website to see what is involved. Quite a bit more to remove than the KM 7D and the filter is in the middle of the stack but we'll get to it later. He also shows a Peltier box setup I am also now looking at. Gets down to about 0* from ambient 24*.

Ah, it's all good fun ..

And BYE is awesome !! Very clever piece of SW.